scores if you fail

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

b cell

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so i am about to take step 1 and a lot of people i know have failed it. what i am wondering is if you fail the first time and pass the second time are your scores averaged? does the residency you apply to see both of them? do they take the higher score? what happens when people take it a third time?

i can't find a definitive answer on this and perhaps there is not one.

Members don't see this ad.

You can take each Step until you achieve a passing score then no more. Programs you apply to will see all scores - passing or not. They will not average the scores, the only score they care about is the passing score - though not passing on the first attempt will be considered a red flag and will temper whatever passing score you have, no matter how high it is.

You can take each Step until you achieve a passing score then no more. Programs you apply to will see all scores - passing or not. They will not average the scores, the only score they care about is the passing score - though not passing on the first attempt will be considered a red flag and will temper whatever passing score you have, no matter how high it is.

I always thought you could only take Step 1 a maximum of 3 times.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe (but have not confirmed) that you can take it as many times as you need to pass - but most state licensing boards will not grant a license if you don't pass within 3 attempts.

I believe (but have not confirmed) that you can take it as many times as you need to pass - but most state licensing boards will not grant a license if you don't pass within 3 attempts.

Correcto:

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

Alaska seems strictest - 2 attempts per step, though Illinois limits 5 attempts for all three combined.