Scores keep fluctuating!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gogirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking the test Jan. 30th (next Friday) and my scores are fluctuating INSANELY. Last Friday I took AAMC CBT 6 and scored a 32. This morning I took AAMC CBT 8 and got a 25... that's almost my first diagnostic score. What is going on?! Is this happening to anyone else? I'm almost afraid to take any more practice tests because of what I'll get.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the test Jan. 30th (next Friday) and my scores are fluctuating INSANELY. Last Friday I took AAMC CBT 6 and scored a 32. This morning I took AAMC CBT 8 and got a 25... that's almost my first diagnostic score. What is going on?! Is this happening to anyone else? I'm almost afraid to take any more practice tests because of what I'll get.

What is your average on the AAMC CBTs? How many have you taken so far? What did you get on CBT 7? Any Kaplan FLs? Give us a better idea of your other test scores. One fluctuation doesn't really mean much.

You shouldn't stop taking practice tests. Just continue to hit your weaknesses these last few days and see if your scores go up. Try not to stress too much because it won't help at this point, just keep reviewing and going over what your mistakes were. gl.

This is the breakdown of my practice test scores:

AAMC 3: 11/11/9 = 31
4: 10/9/9 = 28
6: 10/10/12 = 32
7: 10/8/10 = 28
8: 8/8/9 = 25

I have reviewed my mistakes after every test but I have no idea what's wrong. Funny thing is I felt pretty good about 8 too, but it was my worst. :(

Your scores average much higher than a 25. So don't get too freaked out by it. However, you should make this cause for motivation to really push yourself these last few days. At this point the most you can do is really review the sciences. There's really no trend in what you're missing in the sciences? Are your mistakes really all over the place? Do you find yourself missing more in either Gchem or Physics/ bio or ochem? Which specific topics do you find yourself missing more questions in? The great thing about the AAMC CBTs is that they lay out the specific topics and show what percentages you got. I always use that to identify my weaknesses, even if it's not consistently weak, I'll focus on the subject I missed.

I'm sure you already know what you feel less comfortable with. Really stress those weaknesses the next few days. Don't let the last test scare you out of staying focused.

I'd say btw 28 - 32 is your target range, the 25 seems a little low. GL!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I plan on doing that. I'm taking another practice test tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes! :xf:

hey gogirl.

you not alone! I'm in the same boat as you. However, at least you haven't used up all your AAMCs. My biggest weakness is verbal, which im dead scared of. My advice to you though, is to SKIP AAMC5. This was really detrimental to me as well as some other people that i've seen take it.

I'm starting to focus on getting in as much science stuff as possible, I just keep reading my materials, to try to get things to stick like glue. Also plan to retake all the AAMCs by friday. :scared:

goodluck!

PS. you studying in jersey?

I disagree with the above post. If you can you should take every single AAMC CBT. This is the best practice. You shouldn't avoid a test because you're afraid of a potential low score, esp with AAMC material. I've taken 5 and it wasn't that different from the rest of my scores. I consider all AAMC CBTs essential to preparing for the real thing.

Also, I think retaking full lengths is a waste of time because whether you realize it or not some questions may be somewhere in the back of what little memory you may have left. So I think it's not a good measure of your ability.

My advice would be to take all the AAMC CBTs you can, which should be 3 more. This should give you two to three solid days of reviewing material.

Good luck.

Your tests are fluctuating due to the different topics on the various tests. In other words, you have some glaring weaknesses that when targeted, nail you, badly. You have to find out what those weaknesses are because they are evident by your scores. Do NOT dismiss any wrong answer as a "stupid mistake." You made that error for a reason. Go over your tests again.

Some things to keep in mind when reviewing:

1. What content areas are you weak in?
2. What question types get you?
3. How is your mindset when facing a particular passage?
4. Are you stressed for time?
5. Where are your mistakes happening the most? Are they front loaded? Are they at the end? All over?
etc.

I strongly suggest you cancel your Friday test.

The OP could be feeling burnout. How about taking a day off before you resume those practice tests?

Okay, so I went up another 5 points on AAMC CBT 9: 10/11/9 = 30
I could feel myself burning out in the Bio section. I finished with like 20 minutes left...

30 seems to be my average out of all my scores, disregarding that 25. I just hope I'm lucky enough to get my average on Friday. :confused:

Also, AAMC 5 was the test I used as my diagnostic before any studying, which was a 22.

I'll be taking my last practice test, AAMC 10 tomorrow. :xf:Thank you everyone for your advice! And SN2ed, thanks for the tips. I'll definitely consider your questions when I'm reviewing my answers, but I'm not going to cancel my test.

Gogirl,

I was in your shoes last year. I was getting ~34 on the practice exams and received a 28 (9/10/9) on the real thing. Aside from verbal, which fluctuates for just about everyone, the fluctuating science scores are a sign that you have gaping holes in your MCAT knowledge. Although I would personally warn you from taking the test this time around, there's always a chance you may get the favorable test questions. This time around I gave myself a month and a half to study and my scores have been fluctuating arond 3 points at higher 36-40 range as opposed to 29-35 last time around.

And I also understand you may be trying to avoid the procrastinating, take it later mentality. I've been there, just was not fortunate on test day. Either way, you've nothing significant to lose -- the worst case scenario, you take it again.