• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

trudub

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2003
Nebraska
Status (Visible)
I don't have my scores yet but what does it take to have a realistic chance in the competitive specialties (Urology, Rads, Plastics, Derm, Neurosurg)? Not that I am sure I am even interested in any of them, just curious what score keeps all doors open?

ndspider

Lurk
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Here is an answer. It won't be satisfying.
I have heard that no score really shuts any door as much as a "fail" or a "flunk" for either Step 1 or Year I and II classes.
Even though the door isn't shut... having a 220 doesn't really open the door enough to get through.... so for the above programs I would say a 230 at least is enough to squeeze yoruself through.... and then it is up to whatever else the medical Gods deem needed at that time of interview.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.