Scoring before the curve of the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rlh08b

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know the MCAT is scored on the curve which can make you feel somewhat better. But my question is what should i be shooting for on my practice test? The practice test are not curved, so after taking a few and being infront of a few friends of mine i feel like i am in good shape, but yet i am still worried about it. On average does anyone know how much the curve bumps you up?

Also a little side not question, is it a bad idea to take the DAT and the PCAT just as a back up, in case you dont get into medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Official AAMC practice tests are curved...

That said, the goal is not to be in front of your friends but to be scoring on your practice tests within a range that you would want to score on the real deal.

Last edited:
The curve and the scale are the same thing. Whatever you get on the AAMC tests represents the way they would scale it. All of the questions on the test have been experimental questions on previous tests so AAMC knows approx. how many people will get it right. From there they make a scale from raw scores to the actual scores. After that, there is no adding of points. Generally, the percentiles are the same-ish from test to test and that's really what determines your score. The "curve" isn't really a curve at all. It just means that the scaling is based off of approx. how many will get the questions right and wrong.

Well explained by ksmi. And just to add, regarding your last question, from the trend that I've seen perusing this forum the majority of people actually drop from their average practice test score. I say majority because as I've also seen, there are others like ksmi who do not fall under this category at all. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
The curve and the scale are the same thing. Whatever you get on the AAMC tests represents the way they would scale it. All of the questions on the test have been experimental questions on previous tests so AAMC knows approx. how many people will get it right. From there they make a scale from raw scores to the actual scores. After that, there is no adding of points. Generally, the percentiles are the same-ish from test to test and that's really what determines your score. The "curve" isn't really a curve at all. It just means that the scaling is based off of approx. how many will get the questions right and wrong.

Is that for certain? I thought that was just speculation among SDNers. I wish they'd just give you your score right away and only make you wait for your writing score.

Last edited:
Is that for certain? I thought that was just speculation among SDNers. I wish they'd just give you your score right away and only make you wait for your writing score.

This isn't speculation, they explicitly state on the AAMC website that the test is not "curved".

This isn't speculation, they explicitly state on the AAMC website that the test is not "curved".

Then why can't they give us our score right away then?? They should take cues from the GRE. They give it to you immediately and then send your %ile rank in the mail a few weeks later. Ugh. Torture.

I think they are just being cautious. Usually the reasons given for the long scoring period is:

1) Someone's gotta read the essay. I also believe that (this is just speculation), since test dates are clustered together, they collect essays from different sittings that are spaced closely and read them all at the same time. So that might account for a 1-2 week delay.

2) Verification of the score integrity and test process. This is a nebulous catch-all that some testing organizations use. Basically, they say that they have to go over reports from all the testing centers regarding suspicious activities, incidents of possible cheat, possible leak and compromise of exam material or security, blah blah blah. To make sure that the score you get in the end will be reasonably accurate and problem-free.

3). It could be that the test isn't scored locally (very likely) at the testing centers. Therefore, answers would need to be transmitted by the testing facility to a centralized location where they will be scored, verified, and converted to a final score. This is probably done in the name of preventing possible leaks.

4). Maybe they just want to make you wait and stew for a bit.