Scoring high in MS1, but feel lazy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UAAWolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so basically, the year started kinda rough for me, but as I got used to it I learned how to study less and get higher grades. I went from getting class avg and studying 6 hrs a day to getting high grades and only studying 1-2 hrs a day (if that...)

I mean I'm happy I got 94, 93,94 on my last 3 finals...but I would be lying to myself if I am really working my hardest. I drink plenty of beer, workout a ton, and chase girls....don't get me wrong this is great- but I feel like I'm setting myself up for trouble come USMLE- maybe my school is just easy and the boards will crush me.

On the other hand...histo, gross anatomy, and embryo and very low yield on the boards (I heard this at least)...but regardless I feel lazy lmao.

Anyone felt like this?

Members don't see this ad.

so basically, the year started kinda rough for me, but as I got used to it I learned how to study less and get higher grades. I went from getting class avg and studying 6 hrs a day to getting high grades and only studying 1-2 hrs a day (if that...)

I mean I'm happy I got 94, 93,94 on my last 3 finals...but I would be lying to myself if I am really working my hardest. I drink plenty of beer, workout a ton, and chase girls....don't get me wrong this is great- but I feel like I'm setting myself up for trouble come USMLE- maybe my school is just easy and the boards will crush me.

On the other hand...histo, gross anatomy, and embryo and very low yield on the boards (I heard this at least)...but regardless I feel lazy lmao.

Anyone felt like this?

I would strongly advise you not to share this story IRL.

if you can do this, it will help you to weather the storm of 2nd year better than your classmates. don't worry about feeling bored or lazy now... it's gonna get a whole lot harder soon. enjoy ms1.

Members don't see this ad :)

Anyone felt like this?

You must be a pleasant one in person. And by pleasant I meant kind of make me want to vomit.

So you're complaining because you're getting high grades by working less while at the same time enjoying life?

Dude....seriously!

get out of here with this nonsense... be thankful that you can get by with so little

I concur. You'll need stamina for 2nd year. I somewhat agreed with your assessment of 1st year. It gets a lot more intense. Pace is key. If you can get by without stressing yourself out, you'll have more gas in the tank when you need to get down to business for the boards.

That said, take a look at some board review books and make sure you're curriculum is teaching everything. You don't want to waste a year and have to double-time-it later on if you have a bunch of spare time now. You'll know how you stand objectively if/when you take shelf exams.

Also, do some research. I seriously regret not doing so first year. I have zero time to do it now, but I'm going to, somehow. I'm kicking myself for all the beer and gym time 1st year that could have been spent padding my app a little. If I have to take a year off later to do research, i'm going to really be kicking myself. Just my 2 cents.

this_will_not_end_well.jpg

OP congrats, but i couldn't help posting this...

credit: some guy who posted it on some thread...

I concur. You'll need stamina for 2nd year. I somewhat agreed with your assessment of 1st year. It gets a lot more intense. Pace is key. If you can get by without stressing yourself out, you'll have more gas in the tank when you need to get down to business for the boards.

That said, take a look at some board review books and make sure you're curriculum is teaching everything. You don't want to waste a year and have to double-time-it later on if you have a bunch of spare time now. You'll know how you stand objectively if/when you take shelf exams.

Also, do some research. I seriously regret not doing so first year. I have zero time to do it now, but I'm going to, somehow. I'm kicking myself for all the beer and gym time 1st year that could have been spent padding my app a little. If I have to take a year off later to do research, i'm going to really be kicking myself. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah I did orthopedic research already with a doc I know in town. I got really lucky that I was able to do it...did not get published but presented a poster so whatever. I may work on it this summer to get published but I'm debating doing a 6 week clinic thing in an underserved area (we have to at our school..)

Haters gonna hate.

Med students deserve beer and chicks too bro

We med students, of all people, especially deserve beer n' chicks. :hardy:

Yeah I did orthopedic research already with a doc I know in town. I got really lucky that I was able to do it...did not get published but presented a poster so whatever. I may work on it this summer to get published but I'm debating doing a 6 week clinic thing in an underserved area (we have to at our school..)

Ouch!

Anyone felt like this?

Teach me bro. Teach me.

Lol yea, cuz nobody in their right mind would ever WANT to do something so beneath them. That's just ridiculous.

Members don't see this ad :)
To OP: 3 things you should never talk to other people about 1) Your fantasy football team 2) Bad poker beats 3) med school study habits

Haters gonna hate.

Med students deserve beer and chicks too bro

I'm hating on the fact that you felt like flaunting your study habits to a bunch of other medical students for the purposes of saying ME SO SMART HURR. It's obnoxious and annoying. I like my "beer and chicks" as much as the next guy.

I feel you, bro. I'm really really ridiculously good looking and rich, and I feel like I'm not achieving my true capacity by only dating girls who are 8s and 9s. I really should be going for those 10s, huh?

I feel you, bro. I'm really really ridiculously good looking and rich, and I feel like I'm not achieving my true capacity by only dating girls who are 8s and 9s. I really should be going for those 10s, huh?

i lol'd :thumbup:

Anyone felt like this?

so basically, laddering started kinda rough for me, but as I got used to it I learned how to micro less and make carriers more. I went from platinum and laddering 6 hrs a day to mid diamond and only ladder 1-2 hrs a day (if that...)

I mean I'm happy I got 1600, 1620,1640 on my last 3 laddering attempt...but I would be lying to myself if I am really working my hardest. I study plenty of micro, pharm and neuro. don't get me wrong this is great- but I feel like I'm setting myself up for trouble come tournment- maybe my division is just easy and the n00bs will crush me.

On the other hand...laddering is very low yield. but regardless I feel lazy lmao.

Anyone felt like this?

from two days ago... so, whatever dude.

My typical day.

Wake up 7am. Study til 10am. Class til 3. Library til 6 ish.

Gym til 8 ish.

Then from 830-midnight I'm free to watch the game, grab a beer, go on a date, whatever I please.

I don't know, looks like a pretty good day to me. I am studying less with comparable result so I imagine it's attainable. the key is to not study at night but during the day so you can do stuff at night.

I don't know, looks like a pretty good day to me. I am studying less with comparable result so I imagine it's attainable. the key is to not study at night but during the day so you can do stuff at night.

no, you have to go back and re read the first paragraph of the first post, in which he claims to be

getting high grades and only studying 1-2 hrs a day (if that...)

so, somethin aint right here.

no, you have to go back and re read the first paragraph of the first post, in which he claims to be

so, somethin aint right here.

You can't honor classes studying 1-2 hours a day. You don't have enough to read through materials even if you remember them after one pass.

What is your point...that's an easy day. Do you actually think if I wake up at 7am and have class at 10am that I spend all those 3 hrs studying???? Have to shower, eat, drive, etc...so maybe 1.5 hr.

Typical SDN poster right here

What is your point...that's an easy day. Do you actually think if I wake up at 7am and have class at 10am that I spend all those 3 hrs studying???? Have to shower, eat, drive, etc...so maybe 1.5 hr.

Typical SDN poster right here

oh ok. thus far then, we've established that you are lazy, disingenuous, and incapable of making good use of your time. think of all the extra beer and phillies you must be missing out on!

aw buddy. it gets better 2nd year from what i understand.

Anyone felt like this?

1253748724-Cool_story_bro_inc.jpg

oh ok. thus far then, we've established that you are lazy, disingenuous, and incapable of making good use of your time. think of all the extra beer and phillies you must be missing out on!

aw buddy. it gets better 2nd year from what i understand.

qx4g8y.gif

You'll probably be okay. Just know that when it comes time for boards, you'll not have enough time to re-learn all the material. My school gave us 8 weeks to study and all I really had time for was a cursory look through the subjects before committing to practice questions.

People speak frequently of "peaking" when studying for boards, because after about 6 weeks in, the only way for you to really improve your score is to go back and re-read things in more detail, which no one has time for.

If you're aiming for 260+, I'd recommend continuing to spend at least 3-4 hours a day outside of class reading. If you're just aiming for 240-260, you can probably get by just cramming for boards in the 2 months before boards, assuming you continue to cram for your school tests and continue to do well.