Scoring in the 99th Percentile

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

manickamosu

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As premeds and future doctors, many of us are perfectionists and always expect to be at the top of whatever we have our minds set on.... whether it be midterms, research competitions, hell...intramural sports, whatever....

But when it comes to the MCAT... I feel like too many people put pressure on themselves to score in the 99th percentile.... they reallllllly want that 36 on their application.... which is great! But....

Through all my studying and prep for this test, I realize that 36s come only with quite a bit of luck. Of course, there are the guys who can consistently rock 39s, but this post doesn't apply to them I suppose. I was not realistic in my expectations while preparing for the MCAT. Of course, I am the neurotic type that wanted a 36 so bad that I did everything in my power to try get it. And I did eclipse it in practice, but not on the real thing. I got a 32, but I couldn't be happier.

After I took the test, my grandpa passed away, and I went to India for the 16 day burial rituals. When I came home me and my longtime gf broke up because I am supposed to get an arranged marriage, and wellllll.... she's not Indian - she's white and that wouldn't exactly work now would it?

I was so upset by all this, and stressed about all the school that I missed once I got back to the US that I had completely forgot about my score by the weekend before score release. I had gone from losing sleep over that 36 to just wanting to see a 30 and move on with my life and not have to repeat the MCAT.

What I'm trying to say is, all these things put my life in perspective. I was SO caught up in trying to get a top notch MCAT score, I look back at this summer and think of how ridiculous of an obsession it truly was. It's great to have the inspiration to pass with flying colors and really excel on this test.... but I want to send the message out to everyone that life's not all about acing the MCAT. Go enjoy yourself while you're studying for this thing!!! Shoot for an awesome score, but know that it's just one part of getting into medical school.... have the mindset that you just need that target score to become a doctor.... at the least, just to get into a school... from there, everyone is on equal footing. Also know that there is always a second chance at this test if you're not happy the first time.

Alright, I'm done rambling, time to study for a midterm :rolleyes: Hope my experience with this damn test will give at least one other person some insight....

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah... they do

i'm from a very conservative family that wants me to get an arranged marriage even though im a first generation kid growing up in america.... i would say it's kind of rare to see this here

ps - i'm glad you think its funny but it wasn't meant to be

no offense to the OP, but this thread would not have been made if you had scored higher (36?) on your mcat. just retake it if you aren't TRULY satisfied....putting things into your perspective seems to be a slippery slope in the profession we are all aiming for.

also, im indian too so i totally know where you're coming from on that arranged marriage thing

I guess you are somewhat right in the fact that it seems like i "settled" for something lower than I originally expected.... which doesn't bode well in certain situations. Still, I feel like this thread would have been made even if I did do well... I just want to say: "dont get too caught up with the mcat like i did, like a lot of people tend to do... it's merely a requirement to our ultimate goal"....

If more test takers took this approach instead of trying to drive a nail through their own skull for 3 months, I think they would save themselves a lot of stress. I know I would have.

I know I have NO IDEA how its feels to be Indian but how bad would it be if you just rebelled and married who you wanted to. Once you're in med school you're pretty much on your own anyway so why not?

And about your MCAT, just shut up. j/k

weird thread

P.S. Although I only got a 30, I assure you that getting a 36 has nothing to do with luck, but with pure talent and knowledge of the material. Maybe something higher than 40 can be attributed to luck, but not 32-38.

I know I have NO IDEA how its feels to be Indian but how bad would it be if you just rebelled and married who you wanted to. Once you're in med school you're pretty much on your own anyway so why not?

And about your MCAT, just shut up. j/k

I guess his parents would disown him? He is one his own, but who the hell is going to financially support his medical education? Unless he wants to be $200K+ in debt in loans by the time he graduates.

weird thread

P.S. Although I only got a 30, I assure you that getting a 36 has nothing to do with luck, but with pure talent and knowledge of the material. Maybe something higher than 40 can be attributed to luck, but not 32-38.

Well said, my thoughts exactly.

I guess his parents would disown him? He is one his own, but who the hell is going to financially support his medical education? Unless he wants to be $200K+ in debt in loans by the time he graduates.

Financial freedom versus social freedom? I'll take the latter in a heartbeat, and you have to be insane not to.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah honestly I don't even know how bad it would be.... obviously anyone would take social freedom over financial freedom.... but my relationship with my parents / extended family is not based on financial freedom!!!! It's being stuck between a rock and a hard place.... someone is going to be let down in the end it seems....

Sorry if it seems like I'm whining about the MCATs.... I just want to say that other events in my life following soon after the test have put things in perspective for me and I just wanted to share my view.

weird thread

I disagree....i was 5 pts below my average first time I took it and then 3 pts above the second time....seems like alot of fluctuation.

I disagree....i was 5 pts below my average first time I took it and then 3 pts above the second time....seems like alot of fluctuation.

seems like you needed to practice a bit more, huh? ;):smuggrin:

seriously though, most people who have scored in the upper 30's were consistently scoring in the upper thirties on their practice exams. Knowing the material well will get you a 30 - the people who are getting 35+ have nailed it down, and are able to use it in different ways.

But that's just my opinion:):luck:

this has to be one of the more interesting posts i've read.

I think your intentions were good, so i applaud you on having positive thoughts about what matters in life in the long run. I think you're absolutely right.

however, i'm sure many people with a 26 are probably thinking about punching your avatar on their screen :D

I guess you are somewhat right in the fact that it seems like i "settled" for something lower than I originally expected.... which doesn't bode well in certain situations. Still, I feel like this thread would have been made even if I did do well... I just want to say: "dont get too caught up with the mcat like i did, like a lot of people tend to do... it's merely a requirement to our ultimate goal"....

If more test takers took this approach instead of trying to drive a nail through their own skull for 3 months, I think they would save themselves a lot of stress. I know I would have.

But if you were taking it easy, then you might not have gotten that 32 right? So you "driving a nail in your skull" did help.

Nice thread though.

I got a 32 also. And when i was studying this past summer i was aiming for a 35 or so too. Im pretty happy with my 32 though, as it is disproportionately high when compared to my weak GPA.

you should be more assertive with your parents. I am Indian too, with conservative parents and all that, and I made it clear very early that I would not be having an arranged marriage. You can still be respectful without being subservient.

Hmm. Good thought behind the thread! My GPA is definitely on the lower end, so I like threads that say "numbers are not the end all be all!" :D

That said, I'm also gonna say getting 36+ has little to nothing to do with luck. It's hard work, the ability to keep your cool in test situations, and really knowing all your concepts cold. If you don't know all your materials, depending on what concepts happen to get tested on MCAT day you'll see fluctuations in your score that you might mistake for luck. But if you really have it down cold, I think you should be able to reliably hit above 36 as long as you don't panic on test day. Unfortunately test day panic def. takes its toll...

Oh and JA Prufrock: TS Eliot ftw!

im not sure how the being indian thing has to do with mcat.... i am indian and just got my score back a acouple weeks ago and it was 36

Well i meant not mcat related indian pain, I meant as far as indian cultures and values go I know what the OP was talking about.

weird thread

Luck is relative....

over 6 tests including the real thing I scored 32 or 33 on 5 of them
AAMC 4, I scored a 37..... it was luck... I got questions I was unsure about right and got favorable topics for me....

While I see what you're saying, there is always a little luck or chance involved...