Scoring the writing sample

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Zoidberg 510

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that the writing sample is graded by a computer and a person, does anyone know whether the computer or the person grades first?

Also does the second grader see the grade assigned from the first grader? (I guess this would only matter if the computer was the first grader, possibly a predisposed bias towards the first grade? )

Finally, can one request for two human graders?

-My WS was really poor on the real deal (going to retake), an M, and I had an official MCAT grader review about 10 practice WSs saying that they were close to perfect. He predicted me getting an S or a T, but no lower than a R!! I'm SURE that my WSs were identical to all of my pracice WSs... not sure what happend :(

Members don't see this ad.

Sure. A word of warning: I am a terrible speller!! While I know that spelling is not directly tested on the WS, it is a problem if the essay isn't able to communicate ideas effectively due to poor spelling. I often finish with 5 or so minutes left, so I can usually correct a few things... but I still miss a fair amount due to the pressure, time, setting etc. Often I'll misspell a word that I really do know, but it is hard for me to pick these up when I'm proof reading really fast at the end. What really upset me about the "M" grade is that I KNOW I addressed all of the tasks one should cover in the WS, and I thought that if you did that then you would at least get a decent score (O-Q). The below WS are likely to be similar to what I'll actually submit. I almost used "spell check" before posting them here because the spelling is pretty embarrassing! However I want realistic feedback, so here they are.

*One more thing! Do you guys think that the amount of grammatical errors in these essays would directly affect the grading?

The primary goal of business should be to maximize profits

The seemingly most important goal of the business world is to maximize profits at all cost. In this context a business refers to a major cooperation catering to a large population, and maximizing profits refers to attaining the highest posible monetary value for a service offered. One has only to look at the example of the mega coorporation, Apple. Steve Jobs, Apple's founder, developed a huge international bussiness over the years. He attained this by, in large part, always trying to maximize profits. In the early stages of Apple, Jobs was directely competing with Microsoft and if he haden't tried to maximize profits the company would have sucome to the very successful and economically stable Microsoft corporation. However, Jobs built a sucessful company because his primary goal was always to maximize profits.

On the other hand there are certainly times when the primary goal of a business should not be to maximize profits. In the case of a company being established in order to better humanity, high profits should not be the major concern. Consider the example of Habitat for Humanity (HFH), an extremely large international nonprofit organization with, the apropriate, primary goal of bettering the general public. Even though HFH hasn't always concerned themselves with maximizing anual profits they have still been a very popular and well supported business. In fact, it is specifically because they haven't tried to maximize profits that they have earnd the reputation of a ligitimate nonprofit organization.

While it is true that most often the primary goal of a business should be to maximize their profits one cannot always assert that this is the case. The criterion that determines whether or not a business should focus its primary goal on higher profits is the founding intensions of that company. When Jobs set out to develop Apple his intension was to build a very economically sucessful business; with the primary goal of maximizing profits he was able to accomplish this. In contrast, HFH was initially established as a nonprofit hunanitarian cooporation; and as such were able to build a sucessful business without the primary goal of mazimizing profits. Therefore if the initial intension of a business was to make money then maximizing profits should be their primary goal, but if the initial intension was to help better humanity then the strive for maximum profits should not be the primary goal of that business.

A politician's lifestyle should reflect his/her political views

The lifestyle of any given polititician should certainly reflect their political views. In this context a politician refers to a current US political figure, and lifestyle is defined as how they live in, and outside of the public eye. One has only to consider the case of California's govenor, Jerry Brown; given the extreme budget deficit facing Californian's, Govenor Brown has pledged to drastically cut spending. The people of California elected Brown specifically because he was doing, himself, exactely what he was asking the rest of Californias to do, tighten up their budgets. In the public eye Brown has been cutting government spending, but he is also beeing frugal in his private life, as a recent report stated "Brown has been flying SouthWest, not even upgrading his seat to business class." Govenor Brown's actions have closely reflected his political views.

On the other hand there are certainly times when a politician's lifestyle should not reflect their political view. When a political position dictates one's expected actions they need not live a lifestyle reflective of their political views. Consider the case of President Obama; even though the President has clearly demonstrated that he believes the US government should cut spending, as evidenced by so many discontinued social service programs, he continues to live a luxgerious lifestyle. However this lifestyle, with frequent extravagant parties and private jets, is expected of president of the US. If fact, these parties are often used as business meetings and the private jets are primarily for the president's safety. Even though Obama believes, on a personal and political level, that government must cut spending his lifestyle does not reflect these views.

While it is true that a polititician's lifestyle should generally reflect their believes, one can't always assert that a politician's lifestyle should not reflect their political views. The criterion that determines whether or not a politician should lead a life in accordance with their political views is the nature of their political position. Govenor Brown should be, and is, attempting to lower his own budget and lead by example. In contrast President Obama, although beliving in lower spending, can't realistically practice a life a frugality. In light of these examples if the nature of one's political position allows for them to conduct a lifestyle in accorance with their political views then they should practice this lifestyle. However if the nature of one's political office prevents them from living according to their political views then they need not live a lifestyle that reflects those views.

OP - you need to chill out. Whatever you make on WS, and it will certainly be above an M, will be perfectly fine. Worry about something other than this nearly-ignorable part of your application. You are prepared enough; it won't matter what combination of computer/human/android grades your WS. Focus that neurotic laser on something more high yield. (I pulled down a T; was not mentioned in a single interview or interaction at MD programs.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Pons. I know the WS isn't a BIG deal but still... Also I'm not sure you saw in the first post: I DID get an "M" on the WS :( just got my scores back from the 3/26 test. Any ideas for quick improvment?

Thanks Pons. I know the WS isn't a BIG deal but still... Also I'm not sure you saw in the first post: I DID get an "M" on the WS :( just got my scores back from the 3/26 test. Any ideas for quick improvment?

Sorry for the misread. Regardless, you are fine. Just really focus on answering the three questions that you are prompted to answer. Thesis - antithesis - synthesis. Read through some links that google provides for that search. Again, don't sweat WS too much.