Scramble process advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kitten18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone shed some light on the scramble process? Like how to contact programs, what to send like transcripts, letter of intent? Is there anything I should be preparing for in advance?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I am wondering if phone call or e-mail is better in the scramble. Can you just imagine being the residency director of an unmatched program this year? I bet they are going to get swamped with applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would send an e-mail and try to follow up with a phone call. This way they have your application materials.

I would send an e-mail and try to follow up with a phone call. This way they have your application materials.

Thanks for the tip, Karm. I am keeping my fingers crossed for no scrambling necessary but still want to be prepared!

Thank you for your tips!!
While emailing the director, what should we send? CV and quick LOI, Scanned copy of trascripts, Contact info for recommenders? Anything else?

our school set up a command center to allow for those in the scramble to come there and have all that information complied in a packet and have the pharmacist working (basically those who wrote your LOR) contact the residency director as well...It wouldn't hurt to have one of your LOR's give a call and write an additional letter. I would also include how your school ranks in passing the boards if they are not familiar with your program. I ran my residency application process like I was running for Ms. American lol!

dumb question: will Match send us a list of unmatched programs? or it will be available on the match website by noon?
someone told me it's usually available earlier than noon?
thanks!:)

Can anyone elaborate on the post match scramble process in terms of what is required to fill a spot? If you email and/or call a program, are you likely to have to come on site for an interview at some point, or are they looking to fill these spots more quickly? Phone interview? Just select an applicant based on CV?

Can anyone elaborate on the post match scramble process in terms of what is required to fill a spot? If you email and/or call a program, are you likely to have to come on site for an interview at some point, or are they looking to fill these spots more quickly? Phone interview? Just select an applicant based on CV?

I don't know. A friend told me that they emailed a program like 30 minutes afterwards only to get a return email saying that their spots were already filled.

Another friend talked to the residency director at the hospital that we are at currently and she told us they prefer email. Granted this is PGY-2 they are talking about.

Based on this, it is likely they will select based on a mix of criteria depending. This year is a hard year. Best of luck to everyone going through this.