1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Scramble Q: Sending LOR and Scores

Discussion in 'ERAS, SOAP, and NRMP Match' started by H0mersimps0n, Mar 12, 2007.

1. H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

OK, so as far as I understand it a program will tell me one of three methods for sending them information tomorrow: E-mail, Fax, ERAS

As for ERAS, that is simple, click of a button to the Scrambled program requesting the information should send "EVERYTHING"

BUT if programs request information via E-mail or Fax I only have access to my CAV and CF and Personal Statements on MyERAS.

Understand this- I am on an out-of-town rotation and my medical school (even if I were in town) provides no scramble services to me.

What do I do if a programs requests more than just the CF,CAV and PS tomorrow via E-mail/Fax?

this sucks...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite!
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Assuming you are an AMG, the one key piece of information you are missing is your Dean's Letter / MSPE. If you are an IMG, then LOR's are much more important (and in general, Dean's letters are not). In the scramble, most programs really won't care about LOR's or your personal statement. Since you likely waived your right to see your LOR's, you won't have copies of them even if your were back at the Mother Ship.

If possible, I would try to get your med school to fax you a copy of your Dean's letter -- it seems the least they can do for you. If you are an IMG, then LOR's will take the place of your dean's letter, and hopefully you have copies of those.

If you are at an institution with a program in your field, you should consider seeing if they will help you scramble. Perhaps if you ask nicely? Perhaps they will have an opening?

Good luck.

3. OP
    OP
    H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

Thank you for the post!

Seeing as how my school had me sign a waiver for my deans letter as well (which I agreed not to read) having my school fax me my deans letter could be a problem too. I'll call my school first thing tomorrow. sigh

this sucks... life sucks...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic!
    Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    They don't necessarily need to Fax YOU the Dean's letter, but rather send it to the programs you wish to have it. I agree with AProgDirector - they SHOULD be helping you in any way they can. Have you asked, or are just assuming they don't?

5. OP
    OP
    H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

I'm a DO, my school has no vested interest in helping me in the allopathic match nor do they have a history of doing so.

I will call them tomorrow but I don't trust them to send anything as the staff are notoriously dimwitted and slow....

I'd rather have it in hand to send out myself if possible.

6. aProgDirector

aProgDirector Pastafarians Unite!
    Moderator Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Just a quick point that Kimberly Cox suggested that her program and others review faxes and ignore phone calls. So, as expected, there is a wide variety of ways to try to get through.

7. Winged Scapula

Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    And sometimes we turned the FAX off (there are only so many applications you can review and only so much paper you can go through).

Another way is to have everything scanned and converted into a PDF file. If I was a PD, I'd prefer that - then I could decide which files to print out.

8. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    Well, thats a shame because it really should be their goal to help you match, regardless if its an allopathic program or not. After all, the match rate reflects upon them. But I guess if they are really dimwitted this hasn't occured to them.

9. Mista Suprane

Mista Suprane Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i matched anesthesia, but i need to scramble tomorrow for a TY/prelim spot. i have a similar problem (DO school, unwilling to fax dean's letter to me OR any program - some excuse about confidentiality); however, i was able to get my LORs faxed to me. i have my application, LORs, and copies of my board scores. hopefully, the programs will allow me to apply via ERAS, but if not, will what i have be enough to get at least a PGY-1 spot? any opinion would be helpful... thanks.

10. mig26x

mig26x Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

for a prelim spot its much easier. I dont think you would have any problems.

11. Pox in a box

Pox in a box 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I don't mean to sound like I'm picking on your program's philosophy, but that seems pretty lame to me. Why not get the best person you can get? You ARE participating in the scramble, so why not be choosy in who you get?

12. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    Eh...I don't take it personally. But you wouldn't believe the HUNDREDS of FAXes we got for a Prelim surgery position. These are unsolicited and most are not from quality candidates...and the FAXes come for DAYS after the scramble. The FAX would be turned off after a couple of days of receiving stuff. You're right - perhaps we missed the best candidate, but one would hope that person didn't wait until Thursday or so to send in their stuff.

13. OP
    OP
    H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

just talked to woman in charge of information at my school - she stated that they will only fax Letters of Recommendation not Deans letters and cannot have access to the list at 11:30am...

great school eh?

14. smgilles

smgilles Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am going to venture and guess....LECOM??

15. zver81

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    best of luck!

16. Pox in a box

Pox in a box 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Agreed...if there's a deadline for you, that's a good point. I thought you meant you just got a quota (say 50 or 100 apps) and then you just said enough. :thumbup:

You could also just have them send the info electronically (i.e. PDF files). That would save paper and the jumble of faxes randomly coming through the machine.

17. Winged Scapula

Attending Physician
    We would have preferred that...the FAXes we got were largely from people who didn't contact the program but rather simply fired up the FAX and sent out applications to every program with an unfilled spot. I don't know what the majority of programs do, but it seems to me as well that PDF files sent via email would be the best for everyone involved - saves paper, time, more assurance it reaches its destination,e tc.

18. Wrigleyville

Wrigleyville Fugitive Tech Consultant
    10+ Year Member

Homer, I don't understand why your administration is filled with jerks. That is unbelievable. People shouldn't apply to school there if they won't receive basic support services.

19. OP
    OP
    H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

I'm not saying who my school is - BUT - it's been a long 4 years

20. Pox in a box

Pox in a box 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I sympathize with your situation but why are you wasting time on SDN? Get on the horn! :luck:

21. OP
    OP
    H0mersimps0n

H0mersimps0n HMO CRUSHER
    10+ Year Member

I've already contacted and called everyone I could...

I'm severely limited by my geography because of my wife and our situation. There is no one left to call...

22. spartan_md

spartan_md New Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Just wanted to wish you very best of luck!

s

23. luckyDO

luckyDO Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I'm in the same boat homer...

Only difference is that I can't find a decent IM spot who will contact me back or even a 1 year spot. I've send everything through eras, faxed, e-mailed... everything... :(

24. MDF1

MDF1 New Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    same here...no love