Mar 19, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone. I too had to scramble this year into a field that I did NOT want to do. Fortunately, they offered me a position and everything was signed. I know I should feel extremely lucky to have a job, especially since everyone else seems to be having a difficult time.

Today, a program from a field that I actually wanted, finally called me and offered me an interview. Is there any way to get out of my first contract at all since this contract was technically not part of the Match?

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

OBandWifey

10+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Hi everyone. I too had to scramble this year into a field that I did NOT want to do. Fortunately, they offered me a position and everything was signed. I know I should feel extremely lucky to have a job, especially since everyone else seems to be having a difficult time.

Today, a program from a field that I actually wanted, finally called me and offered me an interview. Is there any way to get out of my first contract at all since this contract was technically not part of the Match?

Thanks
Is there anyway you could ask the program that's interviewing you how many people are actually interviewing? Just to get a grasp on your chances. It would suck to give up one position just to fight with 19 other people for another position that you may not get.

Another thing you might want to find out is how long is it going to take them to make the final decision. If you get this info then you could call the program you've signed with and ask for an extention. Things have come up and you have to make sure you can make the move...blah blah blah. Something to buy time.

I just don't think that it's wise to just get out of the first contract without knowing your chances of getting the second spot. With as crazy as the scramble was this year...I'm soon once you give up that first spot it will be GONE.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician

Thanks
There is no way to ethically, honestly do what you want to do and not breach a contract you signed; and there is no realistic way to "get permission" to interview once you've signed a contract. As the prior poster noted, you'd be a moron to give up a spot for just an interview. I could perhaps understand someone giving up a spot and breaking a contract for a bona fide offer, although it's a contractual breach and could theoretically hurt you. I wouldn't condone it, and you shouldn't have signed a contract if you weren't committed to following through. If your word isn't your bond, frankly, you won't go far as a professional, in my experience.
I'd say not bother with an interview at this point -- you have a job. If someone came to you with an offer, then you might have an actual dilemma, but an interview, nah.

peppy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2002
Status
Attending Physician
If I were you, I would go ahead with the interview, and if by some chance you do get offered the spot then talk to your internship about being released from your contract. Last year someone posted on here about how their internship let them out of the contract and merely asked that they pay some fees related to the administrative costs that their departure left the program with.
Considering how easily they will be able to fill your spot, I doubt they would try to force you to stay in the internship or pursue it any further than wanting to recoup their costs. Best of luck to you.

toomuch

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 18, 2003
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
you can interview and always try to find someone willing to take your spot.

Mar 19, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Hey everyone, thank you for your honest replies.

I canceled my interview with program #2 because I DID sign a contract and the position from program #1 was guaranteed mine, whereas program #2 was merely an interview. Plus, I would hate going against my word to the program that gave me a chance when many others didn't. It was soooo tough having to turn down a chance at an interview at a prestigious place in a competitive field. I thanked program #2 and told them that I would apply next year, and hope that they will consider me in next year's match.

This was a crappy year for me but at least I have secured a position for at least the next year (and possibly the next 3 years). Congrats to everyone who matched or scrambled!

I have been drinking.

MrPotatohead

10+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
wow props for that. I'm impressed at your professionalism and hope things work out well for you.

Musashi450

10+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2005
St. Louis
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey everyone, thank you for your honest replies.

I canceled my interview with program #2 because I DID sign a contract and the position from program #1 was guaranteed mine, whereas program #2 was merely an interview. Plus, I would hate going against my word to the program that gave me a chance when many others didn't. It was soooo tough having to turn down a chance at an interview at a prestigious place in a competitive field. I thanked program #2 and told them that I would apply next year, and hope that they will consider me in next year's match.
= class. That was a tough decision and I hope the program that was offering the interview realizes what a responsible decision this was. Hopefully you let them know why you had to turn down the offer! Either way congrats on finding a spot and good luck next year!

Mar 21, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I scrambled into a preliminary year that I am not particularly thrilled with. If I got an interview for a catagorical in my chosen specialty in a part of the country that I wanted, you bet I'd take the interview!