Scramble?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Redcross

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK!!! The ROL are in and now the real waiting begins. Here is the big question....anyone care to explain the step by step process of the scramble. You see being a DO student, we lack the support from the school during the scramble. We are basically on our own. Do I need to printout my ERAS? What other steps do I need to take? Explain it to me like I am in the third grade. (not that I don't expect to match but I need to know just in case....)

Thanks...........

Members don't see this ad.

unless things have changed or are different for DOs, you will get a call on black monday or whatever day it is now. you go into the office and you should have your stuff ready in case they do not. a full paper application so that you can fax it to them in case somethings can't be electronically done or whatever.
there will be a list of unfilled residencies. start calling the programs on that list that you are interested in at the appointed time. there may be some strategy like don't call best the programs, they are being flooded with calls or something, but i have no idea about the specifics. i know several people who scrambled into excellent slots in competitive fields, and there are always some geniuses who like to see what's available in the scramble and let fate make their decisions.
good luck

If your Dean's office doesn't support you, you may find out by e-mail or going to the match site March 17th, 12 noon eastern time. The scramble doesn't start until the next day.

If you signed up with NMRP, you will be e-mailed a list of all the unmatched spots. Some will have phone numbers attached to them, some of them even correct. If you can borrow a green book, or have fast access to FREIDA, do it. (I'd recommend book over freida, searching is somewhat faster and you don't have to worry about FREIDA being overloaded.)

You should have ready:
1) paper copies of you eras application, PS, transcripts, Dean's letter, and letters of recommendation.

2) Two phone lines if at all possible, with the numbers updated on your eras application. A fax machine with cover sheets, and internet access that isn't blocking your telephones, ideally.

3) You may want to consider writing PS for your scramble backup specialties. I don't know if you can add these to your eras application at this time or not.

4) An assistant you work well with while under pressure. It is always great to have an extra pair of hands to fax, search, run to the store to get the large bottle of gaviscon, etc.

ERAS will let you apply to 30 programs without extra charge during the scramble. Check out their web site for more info.

Good luck to everyone!

annette - what is your plan? scramble, different specialty, wait until next year?
good luck, you have been wonderful on this forum.

I'll be screaming so loud if I match, you will hear me in Hawaii! (I applied to transitional year programs with the hope that I can jump to EM later.) If I don't match, I'll go through the scramble (again, but smarter! I'm already stocked up on the gaviscon!), and take any damned program that moves.