Scrambling - Community Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nguyen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were initially planning to do hospital residency but was rejected and got scrambled into a community residency, would you take it? Why or why not?

Members don't see this ad.

why do a residency to end up in retail...?

Reactions: 1 users
If you were initially planning to do hospital residency but was rejected and got scrambled into a community residency, would you take it? Why or why not?

Why don't you do a community residency and then apply for the match next year for a PGY1?

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends. As far as community residencies, there are a few that are more "am care" related, so that might be good to do. Other than that, no.

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on what your goals are. Community pharmacy might only be worth it if you're interested in expanding practice in a community setting...e.g. pilot ambulatory care services in a retail setting. Don't expect that there will be many places looking for pharmacists that do this though, as current corporate retail pharmacy business models do not support these kinds of activities. You will have to be entrepeneurial. I imagine you might have more success running an independent/collaborative practice with physicians that refer patients with specific criteria to you. Or if some retail pharmacy wants you for their pilot program. If you're interested in hospital practice, you're better of finding a retail job, studying on your own time for a year, then reapplying for a hospital residency. Don't go into a program that's not suited for you out of desperation.

Last edited:
No. If you are doing a community "residency" for a chain, you are probably hurting the profession. Also, it's not like the people that finish get DM positions automatically or anything...

I have a good friend from pharmacy school that did a community residency and then was able to land multiple hospital job offers after.

The people I've known that have done community residencies have gone on to practice in ambulatory care settings.

That depends on a few factors. What would you get out of this residency? If it's in an ambulatory care clinic it could be worthwhile, but if it's some Walgreens residency where you give flu shots and learn leadership skills I would pass.

I know if you don't accept a spot you matched into regularly that you lose the ability to match again in the future. Does that rule hold true in the scramble?

Thanks for the replies all. I, myself, didn't go through this process. This happened to one of the guest speakers that came and spoke to us about doing a residency.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I have a good friend from pharmacy school that did a community residency and then was able to land multiple hospital job offers after.
possible but not probable and must be middle of no where hospitals, a chain residency is for lack of better word at best easy way to amb care to skip pgy2, at worst you lose 70k earning potential to do same thing you could of done w/o one.

I have a friend that did IV Infusion ASHP accredited residency, ended up CVS near her house... sounds ******ed to me.

if you didn't match on hospital residency, just try again next year though your chance drop a lot