Scrambling Q's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alittlestory

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hoping I could get some clarification:

1) The unfilled program list, does it include the program contact info (phone/fax/email etc)? If not, where do we find this?

2) Lets say there are a few Prelim-Med/Neuro or Prelim-Med/Anesthesia or even Surg Prelim/Uro spots open... are those available for people who have NOT matched into an advanced program?

3) Any last minuted advice?

Thanks ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hoping I could get some clarification:

1) The unfilled program list, does it include the program contact info (phone/fax/email etc)? If not, where do we find this?

Yes, it does. It will indicate whether the program wants to be contacted by phone, email, ERAS, or fax, and the numbers / address to use.

2) Lets say there are a few Prelim-Med/Neuro or Prelim-Med/Anesthesia or even Surg Prelim/Uro spots open... are those available for people who have NOT matched into an advanced program?

If you don't match at all, you can scramble into anything. You can scramble into a field you didn't apply to at all. Note that the combinations you mention above are two matches -- one into a prelim and the other into an advanced. If you applied to categorical only and don't get anything, then you can scramble into an advanced program but you'll also have to scramble into a prelim, and they are not linked (i.e. getting one doesn't guarantee you a spot in the other)

3) Any last minuted advice?

Thanks ;)

Did you read the stickied scramble thread at the top?

Do I have to compose another personal statement if I have to scramble for another specialty? Although I can't do anything about LORs so that may defeat the purpose. Don't know...any thoughts?

AProgDir-

Thanks for replying- I appreciate it! (along with many others, i'm sure)

So.... if there is an "open" position that under normal circumstances has strictly been set-aside for those who are matching into an advanced residency like Neuro... and the prelim spot didn't fill... i.e. Prelim-Med/Neuro... and they are still unfilled on Tuesday, we can apply even though we are not going into neuro? Can we scramble for this spot and use it towards fulfilling prerequisite for another field?

AProgDir-

So.... if there is an "open" position that under normal circumstances has strictly been set-aside for those who are matching into an advanced residency like Neuro... and the prelim spot didn't fill... i.e. Prelim-Med/Neuro... and they are still unfilled on Tuesday, we can apply even though we are not going into neuro? Can we scramble for this spot and use it towards fulfilling prerequisite for another field?

I have this thought exactly. I see these prelim/neuro and prelim/anesthesia combos (just PGY-1). Wonderful if we can apply for those if we just need PGY-1???

AProgDir-

I have this thought exactly. I see these prelim/neuro and prelim/anesthesia combos (just PGY-1). Wonderful if we can apply for those if we just need PGY-1???

Yes to both. The reason they are listed as Prelim/Neuro is that those are prelim slots that are reserved only for neuro applicants in the match. But, in the scramble, they are up for grabs.

apd - caN we call on behalf of our friends and talk to the program? or should we get the person on the phone doing three way?

apd - caN we call on behalf of our friends and talk to the program? or should we get the person on the phone doing three way?
You can, but you're trying to make your application stand out, and whenever we get a call where someone else (other than a faculty member / dean / etc) is calling for an applicant, I see that as a negative. There is no problem with having several people dialing, and then if you get through handing off the phone.