Screened secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dweji16

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the schools that screen apps before sending our secondaries.

If you receive a secondary from a school that screens, then can you safely assume that you've initially passed the "numbers game"? Since a lot of schools do automatic cutoffs based on GPA and MCAT, and base who gets secondaries from that, I was wondering about this.

Although I'm sure they still will make decisions based off of numbers even after the whole app and interviews are complete, I was wondering if it's worth getting your hopes up if you do get a secondary from a school that screens.

Members don't see this ad.

For the schools that screen apps before sending our secondaries.

If you receive a secondary from a school that screens, then can you safely assume that you've initially passed the "numbers game"? Since a lot of schools do automatic cutoffs based on GPA and MCAT, and base who gets secondaries from that, I was wondering about this.

Although I'm sure they still will make decisions based off of numbers even after the whole app and interviews are complete, I was wondering if it's worth getting your hopes up if you do get a secondary from a school that screens.

No. They will still heavily look at your numbers, even after the interview.

Some screens are more stingier than others. Many will screen in applicants even if their numbers are not great for interviews.

Loyola, VCU, EVMS, OHSU, etc - screens are not terribly tough, getting one doesn't mean that much in my opinion.

UC's (Cali Schools), UW, etc.- screens are far more rigorous as each one hands out secondaries to 50 percent of appilcants or less.

Vanderbuilt (and some others not sure)- only send secondaries to those who interview with them, therefore probably the toughest screen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many schools only send secondary applications to applicants that pass the initial numbers screen, but these numbers are usually the minimum that the school requires (i.e. my school’s absolute minimum is GPA 3.0 and MCAT total of 25 or sub-scores of 7).

I wouldn't feel too confident about secondary applications because these minimum numbers vary by school. Low tier schools probably go as low as 2.0 and 21, which basically means that every applicant gets a secondary. This is how schools pay for the interview season, by charging each applicant $50-100 per secondary.

The interview invitation is the key. At my school everyone who gets an interview has passed the numbers and application screen. All that is left is the interview, where you find out whether or not this person is a creep or mentally ill or antisocial.

-senior medical student - matched EM / admissions committee interviewer

In regards to schools that screen prior to sending out secondaries, does anyone know what those schools do with applications that don't have MCAT scores on them? Will they hold the application for the MCAT score, or is it better to send the application to them after the MCAT score comes back to make sure you don't get screened out?

Thanks for the responses!~

I was mostly concerned with schools that automatically cutoff based on numbers without every looking at the rest of the app (ie. screening using computers). Since most schools do not post their cutoff numbers, I was worried about the ones who have really high cutoff ranges (like 3.5 and 34 MCAT).

Since secondaries are screened at some schools, I was just wondering if you do get a secondary from those schools (i.e. UCs), then would the rest of your app be looked at along with the numbers.

Thanks for the responses!~

I was mostly concerned with schools that automatically cutoff based on numbers without every looking at the rest of the app (ie. screening using computers). Since most schools do not post their cutoff numbers, I was worried about the ones who have really high cutoff ranges (like 3.5 and 34 MCAT).

Since secondaries are screened at some schools, I was just wondering if you do get a secondary from those schools (i.e. UCs), then would the rest of your app be looked at along with the numbers.

No schools will have a 34 MCAT cutoff, very few (if any) have a 30. That's kind of extreme.

No schools will have a 34 MCAT cutoff, very few (if any) have a 30. That's kind of extreme.

Hahaha yeah. I was sort of exaggerating.

I think I'm paranoid that some schools secretly dont look at anyone below some high number even if the say they do...

The admissions process if making me go crazy... woohooooo

Hahaha yeah. I was sort of exaggerating.

I think I'm paranoid that some schools secretly dont look at anyone below some high number even if the say they do...

The admissions process if making me go crazy... woohooooo

Remember also that a lot of schools without screened secondaries are somewhat self-selecting.

For example: Do you ever just want to crawl in a corner when you see WashU's average stats? Those stats will make a lot of people get intimidated and not apply, so it's self-selecting about who applies there.

Schools like Harvard will always have their reach candidates with the 31 MCAT, but for the most part, schools like that will have the best numbers applying there because most feel they don't stand a chance.

Remember also that a lot of schools without screened secondaries are somewhat self-selecting.

For example: Do you ever just want to crawl in a corner when you see WashU's average stats? Those stats will make a lot of people get intimidated and not apply, so it's self-selecting about who applies there.

Schools like Harvard will always have their reach candidates with the 31 MCAT, but for the most part, schools like that will have the best numbers applying there because most feel they don't stand a chance.

No.. more like when I see average stats of MOST schools, I want to crawl into a corner...

Mmm.. i didnt think about the self-selecting, but that makes a lot of sense! Thanks!

Some screens are more stingier than others. Many will screen in applicants even if their numbers are not great for interviews.

Loyola, VCU, EVMS, OHSU, etc - screens are not terribly tough, getting one doesn't mean that much in my opinion.

UC's (Cali Schools), UW, etc.- screens are far more rigorous as each one hands out secondaries to 50 percent of appilcants or less.

Vanderbuilt (and some others not sure)- only send secondaries to those who interview with them, therefore probably the toughest screen.

I really wish applicants were told exactly the numbers that would get automatically screened out...

but then we'd be saving our money meaning the schools would not be making any.... so i guess it makes sense for them not to release this info... sigh. :cry:

I hate to say it but I suspect that some schools may also keep their cut-off scores confidential because there will be those situations where they send a secondary to someone below the cut-off because they are related to a VIP of some kind.

Over the years, I've seen my school do both screening and not screening.

In regards to schools that screen prior to sending out secondaries, does anyone know what those schools do with applications that don't have MCAT scores on them? Will they hold the application for the MCAT score, or is it better to send the application to them after the MCAT score comes back to make sure you don't get screened out?

I've heard that you should go ahead and submit your application even without your score and that the schools can see your scores a day before you do. Although I was wondering about this as well. Anybody have insight on this?