Screening Formula for Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Conquistador

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Check out what I found online (For Johns Hopkins):

Cumulative science GPA + Cumulative GPA x 10 plus
Biology, Physical Science and Verbal MCAT scores x 2

Screening Outcomes:

125 and above Interview

115-124 screen by members of admissions committee for decision

114 and below Reject

If you know of any other ones please post!

Members don't see this ad.

I do not think Hopkins strictly stick to this formula even if the formula exists....u gotta consider other factors such as EC, LOR and essays as well...its simply not all about number

are you sure???

sounds like a low standard for hopkins.....by this method i would have gotten an interview and my numbers are below par.

i dont think they do this. no way in hell. haha or else i would apply right now.

Members don't see this ad :)
no freakin way.

I have a 138 by that scale and they havnt interviewed me...and im quite sure they wont.

3.4 and a 35 is not hopkins material.

i also agree, i was summarily rejected and my numbers work out above 125....

same here, well above 125 and no interview

Originally posted by Conquistador
Check out what I found online (For Johns Hopkins):

Cumulative science GPA + Cumulative GPA x 10 plus
Biology, Physical Science and Verbal MCAT scores x 2

Screening Outcomes:

125 and above Interview

115-124 screen by members of admissions committee for decision

114 and below Reject

If you know of any other ones please post!

If you are going to say that you found this online, it would help to post the source

I have a tough time believing this

i've seen that formula before; it's listed on their premed site i think. HOWEVER, it's used as an example of a formula schools MIGHT use to screen applicants. they never said that it's THEIR screening formula. but hey, who knows, right? ;)

Edit: yeah, i knew i had seen this before...here's the link:

http://www.jhu.edu/~preprof/JuniorSeniorNotesFeb26.html

I was at this meeting. The formula is for SOME STATE SCHOOLS, not JHU. I know many undergrads from Hopkins with a 3.8 and a high MCAT who didn't get interviewed. Who knows how they decide?

I think that once they screen out people with numbers that they absolutely don't want, then they go back and read the applications and choose people to interview from there.
I don't think they look at all the applications until they do some form of primary screening or something, because there are too many applications to look at, and their secondary is a little bit long too. It would be a lot of reading for the adcom to do.

Wait a second...did I misinterpret the formula or what?

Let's say someone has 3.9 science and overall GPA, plus 13-13-10 for BS-PS-Verbal respectively:

39+39+13+13+10*2 (Only the verbal score is times 2)

= 124

according to the formula, a person with this kind of MCAT and GPA still won't automatically get an interview

Originally posted by calebho501

Let's say someone has 3.9 science and overall GPA, plus 13-13-10 for BS-PS-Verbal respectively:

= 124

according to the formula, a person with this kind of MCAT and GPA still won't automatically get an interview

hmm...yes, applied this way the formula becomes much more selective...

= 124

if you go to the web page listed above, they treat it like (BS+PS+VS)*2....not what you were thinking. your way would make it much more selective though.

If the formula were true, I wouldn't have gotten an interview. No, I'm not a URM.

Looking at the website, it appears that the formula is just an example of how a school might use such a screening tool.

My advice is to forget this formula. Many schools (certainly Hopkins) consider your application in its entirety. In fact, Hopkins did not require the MCAT until recently, when we joined AMCAS. Of a number of measurable factors in applicants, MCAT scores were found to have the poorest correlation with success as a medical student.

doepug
MS IV, Johns Hopkins

Originally posted by doepug
If the formula were true, I wouldn't have gotten an interview.
doepug
MS IV, Johns Hopkins

Hey Doepug, any idea why Hopkins is so slow in terms of getting back to the majority of the applicants (Place on hold, rejection, interview, etc.)?

Hey Doepug, any idea why Hopkins is so slow in terms of getting back to the majority of the applicants (Place on hold, rejection, interview, etc.)?

...because they read every application.

Hopkins prides itself on finding "diamonds in the rough," so to speak. There aren't any formulas or special criteria; every complete application gets read from start to finish, and trust me, committee members agonize over them. Evaluating applications is a slow and meticulous process, and being on the committee involves a LOT of work. Since there are clearly a limited number of interview slots, sometimes committee members will want to read a good number of applications before deciding who gets interviewed and who doesn't.

Sorry for the wait... rest assured that a few people have a big headache right now trying to decide if they'll offer you an interview.

Good luck,
doepug

Originally posted by doepug
...because they read every application.

Actually that was somewhat a relieve, at least I know they're putting in the time to READ the essays we wrote