1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Screw content ?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by badasshairday, Apr 27, 2007.

1. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    So the MCAT is looming over my head now, May 11 is D-day, and I feel like review my content books is a waste of time now.

I have just been doing tons of MCAT style problems using Kaplan online materials. Good idea? Somehow I always seem like I should read the books some more because thats what I see a lot of students doing.

What did you guys do for the MCAT when it was less than 2 weeks away?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gotmeds?

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think you're on the right track. The reason so many people do badly on the MCAT is because they spend too much time on content and not enough time on practice passages.

4. Dr. Gangrene

Dr. Gangrene AZPOD 2011
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Podiatry Student
    :thumbup:
    What do you think YOU need? If your content knowledge sucks, you may be screwed. If you are a good reasoner and problem solver (which is what the MCAT is really testing) you can be ok.
    If you feel you know your stuff overall, take more practice tests (especially if that is your weak spot).

Only worry about you; after the beast is done, you don't want to look back and regret not studying the right way.

Good luck :thumbup:

5. DrGoofy

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    since your test is less than 2 weeks away... you should really just focus on taking practice exams. start taking AAMC ones too, not just kaplan... take the practice exams as you would take the real thing (same time of day, 10 min breaks, etc).

After you're done taking each practice test, take a break, and give yourself plenty of time to go over the answers. You can learn quite a bit of content materials by just going over the answers to the test. And from your wrong answers, you can review those content areas that you are weak at in more detail.

you're almost there!!! YOU CAN DO IT! :laugh:

6. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It really depends how you're doing on your practice tests and what you think is holding you back. Don't necessarily do what other people are doing.

7. badasshairday

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just feel like I am wasting time when I reread parts of the kaplan review books because I have gone over all those concepts already and pretty much know them all cold.

All the questions I miss on the practice tests are not because of lack of content. So I figure I just need to work on my problem solving and reasoning now. Best of all, just reading the solutions afterwards will help solidify content more as well as teach me how to solve problems.

8. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    In that case...Yes, screw content.

9. PseudomonasPAO1

PseudomonasPAO1 New Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I'd say if you are nailing the discretes (both standalone and within passages) on your practice tests, then content may not be worth studying anymore. If you are solely missing passage-based questions due to misinterpretation, then practice may be all thats left to do.

10. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    I agree. OP, keep doing those practice tests and leave the review books alone unless you need to look something up. :luck: to you. :)

11. badasshairday

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Okay, so I have a a few more practice test left in my arsenal (Kaplan FL 8,9, AAMC 9, also have Kap FL 10,11 but I heard those aren't so good). I also have the kaplan Q-bank that has a ton of MCAT style passages that I have been working on recently.

My scores are ranging 31-34, with an avg around 33ish. I'm not complaining, but when I see my incorrect answers I get really annoyed because they are just silly mistakes. On the sciences it definately is not a concept thing at all that I am lacking, my wrong answers are dumb mistakes like minor math errors etc.

Verbal is my beast but I'm practicing on that.

How the hell do I break out of the 34 glass ceiling that I have? How do you 35+ guys avoid these dumb mistakes on the sciences?

Test day is May 11.