screw up looking for a second chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silk80

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all this is my first time posting, (sorry for length)
Currently I go to a 4-year university and my GPA is about to drop below a 2.0. At this point i believe I will be kicked out of my college. Im currently a senior and have always been struggling with grades since I started due to long hours of work (30+ a week,and an athlete for the school ) while trying to pursue a degree in biology. I don't know what to do but I know I'm done for after this semester and I want to change my ways. I know I screwed up big time and I always wanted to be a doctor and I know I can do it because I have gotten A's in upper division Bio courses I just haven't been consistent. I've also fell into a depression because about 2 years ago I knew my chances of med school were shot after failing chem I twice.... However instead of moping around and dwelling on the negative things that are happening, I want to redeem myself. I know deep down I can get into med school and I wont give up no matter how bad things will get. My question is what should I do? If i get kicked out of my current university should I just start over at a CC? Or should I try to get back in? Please any advice I would appreciate Thanks. Also I'm 24 yr in CA if that helps.

Members don't see this ad.

It's generally better to take your classes at a four-year-university as opposed to a community college. I believe AACOMAS does grade replacement, so this might be a good way to quickly improve your GPA. You should also try to limit your outside commitments (athletics, work) for a while to see if that helps you get better grades.

It's generally better to take your classes at a four-year-university as opposed to a community college. I believe AACOMAS does grade replacement, so this might be a good way to quickly improve your GPA. You should also try to limit your outside commitments (athletics, work) for a while to see if that helps you get better grades.

The first part I don't agree with. However, with your circumstances, I'm not sure how it would look to an adcom if you failed out of your 4-year and then started doing well at a CC. It may seem like you are only doing better because the classes are easier. But, who knows? If you did take this route, you would, absolutely, have to get an excellent MCAT score to show that you learned a good amount of information from the CC courses.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a senior, I think your only choice is to pursue the AACOMAS and use their grade-replacement policy to your benefit for applying to DO schools.

Look, your title says "screw up looking for a second chance". Can you do it? Absolutely. Do you have what it takes? You seem to think so, but honestly if I were you, I'd start thinking about a backup plan. Its the smart thing to do.

If you insist on this path, then yeah, you can do it:

1) Dont get kicked out - do whatever you have to do.

2) Keep taking undergrad classes, and get all A's. For about 2 years. With a full course load.

3) Retake prereqs where you got C+ or less and get all A's.

4) In 2 years, after your GPA is above 3.0, take the MCAT and get 34+.

If you do all these things, then you can get possibly in to med school. The bigger question you need to ask yourself is "Is there anything else in the world, at all, that would make me happy." If the answer is yes, then pursue that thing. Be honest with yourself - if you don't have what it takes, then it's best not to dig yourself deeper in to this hole. You could end up in med school, but bombing the Step 1s and not getting a residency, with 200k debt. There are a lot worse things in life than not going to med school. Good luck to you either way.

Look, your title says "screw up looking for a second chance". Can you do it? Absolutely. Do you have what it takes? You seem to think so, but honestly if I were you, I'd start thinking about a backup plan. Its the smart thing to do.

If you insist on this path, then yeah, you can do it:

1) Dont get kicked out - do whatever you have to do.

2) Keep taking undergrad classes, and get all A's. For about 2 years. With a full course load.

3) Retake prereqs where you got C+ or less and get all A's.

If you do all these things, then you can get possibly in to med school. The bigger question you need to ask yourself is "Is there anything else in the world, at all, that would make me happy." If the answer is yes, then pursue that thing. Be honest with yourself - if you don't have what it takes, then it's best not to dig yourself deeper in to this hole. You could end up in med school, but bombing the Step 1s and not getting a residency, with 200k debt. There are a lot worse things in life than not going to med school. Good luck to you either way.

agree with all of that. you'll have to report any academic issues when you apply and it would look much better if you hang in there at that institution and can turn things around there. some places will want a letter from the school where you had academic issues, that letter will look much better if it ends on a positive note.

get the GPA up, get a good MCAT, plan on grad school after that, and you can get there. long road but worth it in the end if you can pull it off. nothing but A's from here on out, no excuses.

I think it's great that the people who have responded so far have been supportive. A couple really good suggestions have been thrown out; specifically, I think that retaking classes and applying to DO schools is your only real shot at success.

That being said, all of the responses so far have been optimistic, and I think you would benefit from a realistic appraisal of your chances. Given your current GPA and the fact that you are about to be kicked out of your college, your chances of getting accepted to any medical school are very slim. Improving your GPA is going to take years of work, even with grade replacement. Once you've done that, you still have to get a good MCAT score, something that will be difficult given your current description of your academic ability. Then you have to overcome the institutional action that you are about to receive (even with a repaired GPA, an expulsion will show up on your record and will not look good).

I know you're dedicated. You would have to be in order to work 30 hours a week, be an athlete, and have any ability to make it to class at all. I just think you need to make an absolutely honest assessment of your chances. You have years of work to be done to make yourself into an even passable applicant, and only you can say whether you're up to the challenge. For your sake, though, you need to be honest with yourself. If you can do it, that's great, but there's no shame in being realistic with yourself and saying, "This isn't for me."

I honestly, sincerely wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

If the OP has close to 120 or more credits at a 2.0 then unfortunately he's going to need a lot more then 2 years (60 credits) to raise his GPA to a 3.0.

For example, according to a GPA calculator, a 2.0 GPA over 120 hours will turn into a 2.67 GPA with an additional 60 hours of 4.0. That's assuming he gets a 4.0 over the 2 years. With 4 years or 120 additional credit hours at 4.0 he'll finally be at the 3.0 mark.

Seems like the OP's best scenario is to go the DO route and take advantage of their retake policy.

Thanks for all your guys help. I have another question however, Do i have to tell med schools about the current institution im enrolled at right now if I was to drop out?

You have to send transcripts from every institution you ever received a transcript from, regardless of whether or not you get a diploma or failed out, etc...

Unless you move to another country, become a new person with a new name and identity, and return. But that seems like a big hassle.

What if I went back to a CC did very well and transferred to another school thats better than my current institution and retook my pre reqs there. Would that look somewhat better?

Freshman with a 2.0? OK, it sucks, but let's figure it out. Sophomore? Well, tougher, but... Senior? Man, you've been doing this for 4 years now? I agree with Astarael, think of other options.

Good luck to you. Life is a thousand feathered thing, it's not MD or die.

What if I went back to a CC did very well and transferred to another school thats better than my current institution and retook my pre reqs there. Would that look somewhat better?

Why would an institution that is better than your current school accept you as a transfer when you are doing so abysmally?

Why would an institution that is better than your current school accept you as a transfer when you are doing so abysmally?
I know where your coming from, but I have seen it happen before.

OP, I think we need some clarification.

1) How many credits do you have?

2) What is your cumulative GPA?

3) Are you definitely getting kicked out?

Hey man,

I am not particularly good at giving advice. So I will just be honest with you and hope that helps. Is medical school what you really wanted to do? Because every friend I had who had plans of going to medical school at the beginning of their undergrad years was willing to make sacrifices in other aspects of their life in favor of getting good grades. I am not here to judge, nor do I assume that I know your life or what challenges you had to overcome. But it seems to me that you did not put going to medical school on the top of your priority list. And you also have to be honest with yourself. What is your real strength or interest? Do you enjoy the science courses? Do you like your major? To tell the truth, I think it is quite hard for anyone but you to assess your academic ability since your bad grades could be easily attributed to your long work hours, etc. So in that aspect I do not think anybody here can help you. One way I would suggest to evaluate your current status is to spend a week or so to review MCAT material and take a practice test. It will at least give you an idea of how much more work you would need to do before you can seriously consider applying for medical schools.

At the end of the day, I sincerely hope you find your true passion and make a difference through whatever career path you have chosen!

Best of luck!

Peace.

OP, I think we need some clarification.

1) How many credits do you have?

2) What is your cumulative GPA?

3) Are you definitely getting kicked out?
i have 98 credits with a cGPA 2.17. Not sure if I'm getting kicked out (in finals week) yet. It depends how I end up doing.

Well, your GPA is pretty low, so this is going to take a long time, and even longer if you also have a dismissal on your record (fight that tooth and nail). Unfortunately there are no fresh starts in this process: for DO schools there is grade replacement, but that's about as good as it's going to get. Anyway I just made this really long post worth of low GPA advice, and since it applies to you I'm going to just copy and paste it into this thread.

the basics:

1) You need to figure out why you got the 2.17 in the first place. Without this, nothing else matters. Are you ADHD and need meds? Did you have a crisis that tanked your grades? Were you lazy in a fixable way? Do you have a problem with substance use? Were you taking a major (like engineering) that give terrible GPAs to bright, hard working students? Of course if the problem is that you're just a very type B personality, or that memorzing and regurgitating facts isn't your particular talent, this might be where your journey ends.

2) Once you've figured out what went wrong, you need to go get a GPA of 3.0. It's very difficult to get around this. So you need to sign up to take more college classes. You can go back to your old college and beg for a second major, or you can start taking community college classes. They key here is that QUALITY DOESN'T MATTER, all you need right now is numbers. Take easy classes with stupid people. While you're at it, pick up the pre-reqs and do very well in them. That's where you're going to prove to yourself that you CAN do this.

3) You need an MCAT score. The MCAT score is what is going to determine how long it's going to take you to turn this around. if it's really high (33+) you could theoreticcally get in withing a couple of years. At the other extreme, the MCAT is where a lot of people with great GPA run their careers aground. In the US medicine is a profession for test killers, and some otherwise very intelligent people just can't ace long, standardized tests. If you study your heart out and get a 12 maybe you shouldn't waste any more of your youth on this (surprisingly mediocre) profession. Also note that med schools do see ALL your MCAT scores and a bad score digs you a deeper hole, so don't take the test if until you get the score you want on a practice test (ideally on two)

Alright so you've got the basics, where do you go from here?

High MCAT score (>33):
Congrats, you might get into medical school only 2 years after graduting (the national average). You now need to apply to a program called a 'special masters program'. These are programs, hosted by a handful of medical schools, which allow you to take medical school classes and to be graded against medical school students. They are expensive and stressful, but students who do well in well known SMPs have almost a 100% success rate getting into medical school. SDN explains these programs further here and rates them here. Like medical school, SMPs turn away a lot of applicants, so you need a high MCAT and the 3.0 to get in, and you need to apply broadly to get into one program. Be aware that a program is only as good as its reputation/linkage, and some SMPs are really just money generating scams, so do your research before you apply.

Average (27-33) MCAT: This is doable, but you need a higher GPA. A 3.3 (at the minimum), followed by a broad application focused on DO schools and maybe a few low end allopathic schools. It's important to note that DO schools only look at your most recent grade from a class (grade replacement) so retake and Fs, Ds, or Cs you've gotten and watch your GPA rise twice as fast. Shadow a LOT of DOs, show a lot of interest in their lifestyle

Low (23-27) MCAT: Retake the MCAT or quit.

Really low (<23) MCAT: Seriously evaluate if this is for you before you even study for the MCAT again.

Things NOT to do:

Do NOT go to the Caribbean: The Caribbean has, over the past decade, progressed from being a legitimate last resort to being a scam. The issue is that Caribbean schools don't participate in the match, so their students get to fight for whatever is left over after all the US medical students matched. In the past that was actually a lot of residency spots, but medical schools (especially DO schools) have expanded a LOT recently and now there aren't nearly as many spots to fight over. So the Caribbean schools are taking huge amounts of money from gullible students who probably couldn't even pass the boards, and then only tell them part was through that they need to KILL the USMLE and outperform medical students on their rotations to match into anything at all. Everyone else gets failed out, or doesn't match, and is left with no career and 200K+ of nondischargable debt.

Do NOT enroll in any kind of traditional masters, JD, MPH, or PhD program: Unless you've given up on medical school, that is. The experience of posters on this board, backed up by our ADCOM members, is that any post-graduate program other than an SMP is 100% useless for redeeming a GPA as low as yours. A masters might be a good start to your new career, but it won't help at all with medicine.

For futher advice I would recommend reading through SDN's low GPA thread. It's full of generations of SDN's premedical f- ups (like me) discussing their strategies to beat the odds.

Good luck

Last edited:

There's not really anything that you can do to erase your current academic situation. Even if you went into another career for a decade before you came back and took classes, your current situation would still be a mark against you. The reason why I'm so hesitant to give you hopeful advice is that I think there might be a chance that you have irrevocably damaged your ability to get into medical school. Many students fail to get accepted with much higher GPAs than yours (you have to get above a ~3.4 to have a shot at MD, a little bit lower for DO). Students with institutional action and really fantastic GPAs also face an uphill battle. Your situation combines both of them, and I don't know if it is possible to recover.

If you want a realistic idea of your chances, get an unofficial transcript from your university. Put all of your grades into an Excel spreadsheet and sort them with the lowest grades first. Give each grade two number values: how many credits it was worth and the numerical value for the grade (A=4, B=3, C=2, D=1; a + for a grade is worth +0.33 to the base value and a - worth -.33). Multiply these together for each class, and then add them up for all of the classes that you've taken, and divide the sum by the total number of credits you've taken over the entire time you've been in college. Then, starting with the class that you did the worst in, change the grade to an A. Keep going down the list until your GPA is up to a 3.3. This is how many classes you will have to retake in order to even have a shot at medical school (and you would have to get an A in all of them).

I'm sorry there's not better news, but even the traditional 'back-doors' into medicine (such as an SMP) are not going to be available for you with your GPA. Right now, you're looking at a lot of long, hard work with no room for any further mistakes to even have the slightest chance.

Oh, and do anything you can to avoid being expelled. I'm not sure how your school expels people, or if there's an appeals process, but you need to look into it to see if you have any options.

Edit: Perrotfish's advice brought one other thing to mind. Your ability to do well on the MCAT is really important to this. If you've taken all of the pre-reqs for the MCAT, it might be a good idea to spend two months studying for it, after which you could take a couple practice tests. If your MCAT score is really low, you don't have a shot. It might be a huge slap in the face, but it would be better than spending two or three years and tens of thousands of dollars repairing your GPA only to find out that the test will keep you out.