Screwed myself at Interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay so I had an interview yesterday at a school far from home. So she asked what’s it like where I live and what school I went to and what it’s like, because I think she had never heard of it. I said it’s a big school with 40K students, very diverse and other stuff.

And I know in interview you are always suppose to be positive and stuff.
And then I said something like some people in my state do not consider it a good school and so I may have come off negative. But the interviewer was so COOL, and she said yeah but you make most of where you are and I agreed. I said I went to school b/c it was close to family and cheap. So I am worried that I might have come off bad and could hurt my chances of getting in.

What do you think.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

newdude said:
Okay so I had an interview yesterday at a school far from home. So she asked what’s it like where I live and what school I went to and what it’s like, because I think she had never heard of it. I said it’s a big school with 40K students, very diverse and other stuff.

And then I said something like some people in my state do not consider it a good school and so I may have come off negative. But the interviewer was so COOL, and she said yeah but you make most of where you are and I agreed. I said I went to school b/c it was close to family and cheap. So I am worried that I might have come off bad and could hurt my chances of getting in.

What do you think.
thanks
I think you need to chill the **** out!

Members don't see this ad :)
newdude said:
What do you think

i think if you are yourself, and you are 100% honest with your interviewer, and things go bad....if you were truthful and divulged how you really feel and who you really are and they don't like you, do you REALLY want to go there?

if you are anti-(insert controversial thing here, such as abortion) and the interviewer asks you a ? about such a topic, and you spill what is in YOUR heart, not what people on this board tell you to say or what you think the interviewer wants to hear and they get down on you for it, that speaks volumes about them not you!

newdude said:

What do you think.
thanks

Honey, the truth is that you want to go to a school you will love. So if you go to an interview, give them you and let them decide. If that's what you did, then maybe i will agree with the others, take a chill pill

oh, honey, don't worry. at the end of one of my interviews i actually criticized their method of interviewing saying what i thought would be a better way of doing it (not trying to be mean, just honest...but at the end of it i was still like, "holy ****, what did i just do?") and i got invited back

chill out playa....its so insignificant im sure u are fine...you epitomize a neurotic pre-med :)

jon0013 said:
epitomize a neurotic pre-med :)

look who's talkin mr i have 9 interviews but i ain't gettin no "love" from schools ;)

sorry, you walked into it! i had to!

jon0013 said:
chill out playa....its so insignificant im sure u are fine...you epitomize a neurotic pre-med :)

i'm a reapplicant, so maybe that's why.

if these people screw me again, i don't know what i'll do.

and these whole thing everyone's saying about if they don't like you for you then whatever with them. after you have to go through the app. process again, you'll see why.

newdude said:
Okay so I had an interview yesterday at a school far from home. So she asked what's it like where I live and what school I went to and what it's like, because I think she had never heard of it. I said it's a big school with 40K students, very diverse and other stuff.

What do you think.
thanks

Brudduh, you type like a valley girl.

newdude said:

What do you think.
thanks

You spoke your mind. Big deal. If I were an interviewer, I know I'd rather have someone in front of me that speaks their mind instead of some robot pre-med who has nothing interesting to say besides:

"Me good for school, me have high grades and MCAT. Me did volunteer. Me want to help people." (repeat ad nauseum)

Sorry, I'm going to chime in and say something different. Saying that was stupid. No interviewer wants to hear that people from your home state look down at the institution at which they work. She may have been cool, but med schools don't want to admit people who are "making the best" of being there. They want people who want it. It wasn't the smartest thing to say, but it's over and done with - you can't erase it, so might as well write a nice, suck-up-y thank you note to her (SOON!) saying how much you enjoyed talking to her and visiting the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
newdude said:

What do you think.
thanks

Ok soooooooooooooooooooo, you are overreacting

ms1finally said:
Sorry, I'm going to chime in and say something different. Saying that was stupid. No interviewer wants to hear that people from your home state look down at the institution at which they work. She may have been cool, but med schools don't want to admit people who are "making the best" of being there. They want people who want it. It wasn't the smartest thing to say, but it's over and done with - you can't erase it, so might as well write a nice, suck-up-y thank you note to her (SOON!) saying how much you enjoyed talking to her and visiting the school.

I don't think this is what the OP meant; I think she stated that people in her home state don't have the greatest opinions of her undergraduate institution. Not saying anything about the medical school.

Honestly, while I think it's no big deal (and your interviewer seems to have agreed - make the most of where you are), the real lesson here is that your interview is over, and you can't go back and change it, so dwelling on this will not help you. Best of luck, and just move past it.

newdude said:

What do you think.
thanks

What's the point of this post? No matter what anyone says, it will not change anything with regards to your admission to this school. If you get in, you get in. If you don't, you don't. Just be happy that the interview is over and hope for the best. I think people on this site have a tendency to overthink absolutely everything in the application process.

DeadorAlive said:
I don't think this is what the OP meant; I think she stated that people in her home state don't have the greatest opinions of her undergraduate institution. Not saying anything about the medical school.

Honestly, while I think it's no big deal (and your interviewer seems to have agreed - make the most of where you are), the real lesson here is that your interview is over, and you can't go back and change it, so dwelling on this will not help you. Best of luck, and just move past it.

OOPS - MS1 needs to learn how to read!!! Anywyas, I don't think what you said is a big deal AT ALL. It's true, we take the opportunities we have. There ar elots of reasons you could have chosen your school and financial considerations are a common reason - and a VERY valid one, especially when you are looking at four years of post-college education. Don't stress!!!!

Personally I think you'll be ok. It's better than coming off fake claiming that you loved your school.

As I already said, I also think you'll be okay. Don't listen to what people are saying about your overreacting....you have every right to feel the way you do. This is your life....and it really is something else to have to go through this crappy process more than once. Good luck to you.

And to everyone who's giving this guy/girl a hard time for overreacting, let's try to be a little more encouraging. The point of SDN is for people like us to feel as if we have a support system...not to belittle one another. (I must add that I got some bad news today so I'm in need of a little support myself.) =(

tulane06 said:
I second that, be confident in yourself man.

best. avatar. ever.

i am asking should i do that again? i don't plan to.

i should stay positive from now on, right?

thanks

newdude said:
i am asking should i do that again? i don't plan to.

i should stay positive from now on, right?

thanks
sure, stay positive, but it doesn't mean this time will hurt you

newdude said:

What do you think.
thanks
i said i wasnt particularly happy at my school and that i dont fit in here. i figured i would be honest and sincere with them at least about that, as i feel strongly about it. besides, the schools im applying to are very different than my undergrad so i wanted to highlight the change im seeking.

you didnt directly attribute any negativity to it, and i think practical reasons for going to a school such as cost and distance are reasonable. i too mentioned those.

i second jondavis and drburo, why worry at this point. but hey you are free to make threads as you see fit, although this incident is a sunk cost

Shredder said:
i said i wasnt particularly happy at my school and that i dont fit in here. i figured i would be honest and sincere with them at least about that, as i feel strongly about it. besides, the schools im applying to are very different than my undergrad so i wanted to highlight the change im seeking.

you didnt directly attribute any negativity to it, and i think practical reasons for going to a school such as cost and distance are reasonable. i too mentioned those.

i second jondavis and drburo, why worry at this point. but hey you are free to make threads as you see fit, although this incident is a sunk cost
haha, you and your cynical-trump-inspired mentality

Shredder said:

the reason why i started thred is so i could avoid it next time, and see how much damage i have done.

i think my undergrad is aight.

newdude said:
the reason why i started thred is so i could avoid it next time, and see how much damage i have done.

i think my undergrad is aight.
understandable--i support ppls right to make whatever threads they want, as its up to other ppl to choose to reply anyway. i shouldnt have challenged this ones existence in the first place--didnt really mean to, just trying to comment that whats done is done, but if youre looking toward the future instead of the past thats good.

it doesnt seem like a significantly damaging incident at all to me. probably hardly at all if even that, but im only seeing it on the surface. i dont think one has to necessarily be positive at all, just sincere even if that entails some negativity, as long as its justified. for example i talked about some of the negative aspects of doctorhood such as having to tell families about deaths and how hard that must be, and my intervewer seemed appreciative of that acknowledgement.