Screwed myself

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

standup man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal...one of the classes taht I'm taking right now is an S/US performance and I screwed up real bad and will be getting a US. or unsatisfactory. I have never been in such a situation as I have always been a really good student. I don't know what to do now, will med schools reject me because of this one U/S grade. Even if they accept me before will they reject me after seeing this u/s grade Any feedback would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Satisfactory? I had S/US grades in kindergarden through second grade, then switched to ABCD. Weird. I'm assuming you're talking about what is more commonly called P/F (pass/fail).

When are you applying, or are you in the middle of applications now?

Regardless of your year, however, it really depends on how your GPA is, what type and level (art 100 vs. cell bio 400) the class is, and any 'reasons' you may have for doing unsatisfactory.

You can bounce back from one bad grade as long as you have a solid GPA to back it up. This means you have to show improvement from this point on. Med schools will forgive as long as you can explain why, accept responsibility and show that you've gotten past it. They don't want to risk it happening again though, so give them something to trust.

If I were you though, I'd see if I could do one of the following:

-Withdraw from the class without assessment and retake
-Take an incomplete and finish next semester, starting over from the beginning and getting a full Satisfactory grade

^Both these will show up on AMCAS but they are better than an Unsatisfactory (Fail).

Good Luck.

standup man said:
Here's the deal...one of the classes taht I'm taking right now is an S/US performance and I screwed up real bad and will be getting a US. or unsatisfactory. I have never been in such a situation as I have always been a really good student. I don't know what to do now, will med schools reject me because of this one U/S grade. Even if they accept me before will they reject me after seeing this u/s grade Any feedback would be helpful.

I don't want to scare you, since it doesn't sound like there's much you can do at this point, but if you're in the current application cycle and get accepted, the US grade could possibly hurt you. In the acceptance materials I've seen (mine and/or friends' stuff), they often have you sign something saying you'll keep up your current grades or get nothing lower than a C. Otherwise, they have the right to recind their offer of acceptance. This doesn't necessarily mean that they'll recind the offer, but you have to submit a letter with an explanation and the adcom will decide how to proceed. If there's any way to raise your grade or withdraw (without a "withdrawal-failure" notation on your transcript), I'd try it. Otherwise, I agree with Depakote (especially if you're not in the current application cycle). Good luck! :luck: