MD Screwed up past, changed ways, a new person.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wannabedrr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, first time here and would really love some feedback. A little backstory, I was an athlete my whole life, parents always pushed sports on me to get anything I wanted (full ride to schools). It was really tough on me with the pressure of doing well considering I have 4 other relatives my age who I had to compete against.

I didn't do so well my first two years of college. I had a ton of F's and D's. I was involved in a serious motorcycle accident and made me realize all the mistakes I've made. Ever since then I've really focused in school and sacrificed losing all my friends to study and do better.

To my point, I calculated all my previous school grades and found out I have an accumulative of 2.23gpa not including one other school that I failed most classes on for a semester which I think was 15 credits. So i'd think more of it as maybe a 2.0 cGPA.

These past two semesters I've taken 26 credits, which I received (3 A's, 2 B's) first semester and (4 A's 1 B) the next. I still have all the pre-requisites to finish as well as a Biology degree to get.

what are the likelihood that I could get into a medical school considering I keep up the effort from here on out.

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives me an opinion or input!

Members don't see this ad.

It's possible but will be an uphill battle. Average GPA is 3.71 overall and MCAT score is 510.4 for 2017-2018 matriculants, as per AAMC. Keep in mind that ALL grades earned from ALL institutions are used to calculate your overall and science GPAs regardless how long it's been, which school you attended, and so forth. You have a long road ahead of you, but so long as you continue to score as well as you have been, there's still hope. You will want your overall and science GPAs to break 3.0, and preferably, be much closer to 3.5 as well as receive a phenomenal MCAT score to help offset your GPA.

Given your current situation, odds are you have several years of reinvention ahead of you before you'll be able to apply. Many people have done it, but to reiterate, it won't be easy nor can you speed up the process in any unnatural way. This is a marathon, not a sprint, so plan accordingly.

Best of luck to you.