GCS-15

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Hey everyone,

I graduated undergrad a couple of months ago and plan to apply June 2017, so I was looking to work/volunteer/build up my application in the meantime. I already have a good amount of clinical hours by working in a primary care clinic and ER (500ish hours) and also around 70hours of shadowing. Do you think a scribe would position would really add anything to my application? I was also interested in Americorps positions, so if anyone has any insight/has done it before, any advice would be great.

Kpw101

5+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
With a good amount of time in the ER and a primary care clinic I think the Americorps will be a better and newer experience! I haven't had experience with Americorps before but have a general sense of it. I think Americorps will add diversity to your application that being a scribe won't.

Reactions: GCS-15

Doctor Dream

Eating the 5 pancakes
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2014
Dreamland
Status
Medical Student
I'm finishing up an AmeriCorps term and it has been extremely rewarding, albeit stressful and challenging. Keep in mind that it probably looks good on an app, but its not like an automatic admission ticket by any means. It's a lot of hard work for little pay (like below minimum wage) and you'll likely be pushed in every way possible.
I tutored and mentored at-risk kids in my hometown which was so fun and rewarding. There were many times though I came home exhausted, frustrated, or even depressed from hearing about all the crap some of my kids endured throughout their lives. I loved my position so much though that I'm doing a second term.
Bottom line, I would not recommend doing it if your heart really isn't in to the work you'll be doing. Not only does it adversely affect you, but the people you're serving too. If you're looking for an adventure though and helping others in a big way, I'd say go for it. You likely have more to gain doing something outside the hospital if you feel you've gotten enough out of your current job.

OP
GCS-15

GCS-15

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2015
Status
I'm finishing up an AmeriCorps term and it has been extremely rewarding, albeit stressful and challenging. Keep in mind that it probably looks good on an app, but its not like an automatic admission ticket by any means. It's a lot of hard work for little pay (like below minimum wage) and you'll likely be pushed in every way possible.
I tutored and mentored at-risk kids in my hometown which was so fun and rewarding. There were many times though I came home exhausted, frustrated, or even depressed from hearing about all the crap some of my kids endured throughout their lives. I loved my position so much though that I'm doing a second term.
Bottom line, I would not recommend doing it if your heart really isn't in to the work you'll be doing. Not only does it adversely affect you, but the people you're serving too. If you're looking for an adventure though and helping others in a big way, I'd say go for it. You likely have more to gain doing something outside the hospital if you feel you've gotten enough out of your current job.
Sounds very rewarding! I'm not really looking for an opportunity to make a lot of money, so the pay part isn't really an issue. I'll be working with kids too! I volunteered a good amount already with kids an an underserved elementary school, so that's why I was looking into Americorps opportunities - they look like fun and I enjoy these types of interactions and helping out other kids.

Reactions: Doctor Dream

Doctor Dream

Eating the 5 pancakes
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2014
Dreamland
Status
Medical Student
Sounds very rewarding! I'm not really looking for an opportunity to make a lot of money, so the pay part isn't really an issue. I'll be working with kids too! I volunteered a good amount already with kids an an underserved elementary school, so that's why I was looking into Americorps opportunities - they look like fun and I enjoy these types of interactions and helping out other kids.
Cool! Then I'd say go for it.

Mrd7889

Accepted!!
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm also between being a scribe and working for AmeriCorps. The AmeriCorps position is in a clinical setting but would mainly consist of enrolling people for insurance and things of that nature. However I don't have much clinical experience. Which one would you recommend?

harkas

MD C/O 2022
May 2, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm also between being a scribe and working for AmeriCorps. The AmeriCorps position is in a clinical setting but would mainly consist of enrolling people for insurance and things of that nature. However I don't have much clinical experience. Which one would you recommend?
If you lack clinical experience, it sounds like the scribing position would be better for you. You would be able to see a physician's work on a regular basis and get experience in medical charting, which is more useful than patient rep responsibilities in the long haul. You would also get a better idea of what health issues impact your neighborhood/city and give you something to talk about in your essays/interviews. Also helpful for MMIs.

The Americorp position is more unique, however. Keep in mind, a lot of people have scribing experience these days so if you want to stand out, find volunteer work in a field that you find interesting as well.

Doctor Dream

Eating the 5 pancakes
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2014
Dreamland
Status
Medical Student
Would also recommend the scribing gig. AmeriCorps is awesome and also a good thing to put on an app but clinical experience is a must have.

JohnWill30

2+ Year Member
Jun 14, 2015
Status
Would also recommend the scribing gig. AmeriCorps is awesome and also a good thing to put on an app but clinical experience is a must have.
I was able to get 1,700 hours of clinical experience in a primary care setting while serving through AC.

OP
GCS-15

GCS-15

2+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2015
Status
Since I had a fair amount of clinical experience, I chose to do AmeriCorps and am loving it! Make sure it's in a field where your passion is and you will have a fun time, and learn a lot.

Nov 14, 2016
Status
I'm in a health-focused AmeriCorps organization and I think this is a golden opportunity (and has been for me). While scribing is good stuff, it's extremely common while AC is more rarely seen and demonstrates a commitment to service; we literally can't use the word work, everything is served. Some positions are insurance focused which can get lame, but you are directly helping patients overcome barriers daily.... sounds rewarding as well as a pretty hot update letter. I mean check this out (this is atypical, but wow!). There are other roles in care coordination, health education, and case management so there is variety in tasks. Overall I think it's a great option.

Mrd7889

Accepted!!
2+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm in a health-focused AmeriCorps organization and I think this is a golden opportunity (and has been for me). While scribing is good stuff, it's extremely common while AC is more rarely seen and demonstrates a commitment to service; we literally can't use the word work, everything is served. Some positions are insurance focused which can get lame, but you are directly helping patients overcome barriers daily.... sounds rewarding as well as a pretty hot update letter. I mean check this out (this is atypical, but wow!). There are other roles in care coordination, health education, and case management so there is variety in tasks. Overall I think it's a great option.
So even if I have only ~100 hours of clinical experience, you think working for AmeriCorps would be sufficient to make up for it? Even if I'm mainly just enrolling patients for benefits and such?