scribe orientation dress code (business casual)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have orientation tomorrow and the dress code is business casual.

What to wear: The dress is business casual (shorts, t-shirts, scrubs and flip flops are not acceptable). Jeans are acceptable as long as they are professional, no holes or fading.

Will wearing a polo shirt, khakis, and tennis shoes be considered business casual?

Members don't see this ad.

By tennis shoes do you mean running shoes? If so, then I don't think those shoes would be business casual. The rest is good tho

what shoe is considered business casual? do sperrys count

Members don't see this ad :)
business casual is polo, slacks, and loafers. Business casual is also khakis, oxford, and loafers. Pretty much no running shoes. Sperry type seems a bit too casual - you are supposed to use them for boating.

If they would be ok with you wearing jeans, then I think you could wear Sperrys

If they would be ok with you wearing jeans, then I think you could wear Sperrys

Agreed, providing the Sperrys are in nice shape. A polo (tucked in), nice khakis, and Sperrys would be appropriate based on their definition, imo.

I will say that the above is not my definition of "business casual," but does fit what they further elaborate on.

Yeah jeans are not business casual, so what they consider business casual is not the norm. No tennis shoes. Sperrys are probably fine for this instance but if you have loafers that's a better choice. And for future reference for other jobs/events, business casual does not include boat shoes.

I have orientation tomorrow and the dress code is business casual.

What to wear: The dress is business casual (shorts, t-shirts, scrubs and flip flops are not acceptable). Jeans are acceptable as long as they are professional, no holes or fading.

Will wearing a polo shirt, khakis, and tennis shoes be considered business casual?
Just wear a button down, dress pants, and dress shoes/loafers. Works for 90% of occasions.

Reactions: 1 user
My thoughts: A polo shirt is not business casual. Tennis shoes are not business casual. Wear some real clothes.

According to the "not acceptable" list, your clothes should suffice, since they are neither on the list, nor more casual than the items.

For some reason lots of people /organizations have a different idea of what business casual or professional means.

My boss (at a scribe company) told me to show up in business professional attire to a meeting. So I showed up in a suit and tie, with formal overcoat. I was the only one - he was in a zip up jacket and khakis...

baratheonfire has the right idea. Do slacks, button down, and dress shoes. It won't be wrong.

Only really dark jeans can pass as business casual. I personally wear khakis of any color along with a dress-shirt (not buttoned at the collar), and some sort of leather shoe that matches my belt. I don't really consider any kind of polos to be business casual—you look like you work at a fast food joint.