premed2013

5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I have orientation tomorrow and the dress code is business casual.

What to wear: The dress is business casual (shorts, t-shirts, scrubs and flip flops are not acceptable). Jeans are acceptable as long as they are professional, no holes or fading.

Will wearing a polo shirt, khakis, and tennis shoes be considered business casual?

Green_Goose

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
By tennis shoes do you mean running shoes? If so, then I don't think those shoes would be business casual. The rest is good tho

OP
P

premed2013

5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
what shoe is considered business casual? do sperrys count

mistafab

2+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2015
Status
Medical Student
business casual is polo, slacks, and loafers. Business casual is also khakis, oxford, and loafers. Pretty much no running shoes. Sperry type seems a bit too casual - you are supposed to use them for boating.

Green_Goose

2+ Year Member
May 29, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
If they would be ok with you wearing jeans, then I think you could wear Sperrys

JustAPhD

Not a hummingbird expert
2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2016
Ice Coast
If they would be ok with you wearing jeans, then I think you could wear Sperrys
Agreed, providing the Sperrys are in nice shape. A polo (tucked in), nice khakis, and Sperrys would be appropriate based on their definition, imo.

I will say that the above is not my definition of "business casual," but does fit what they further elaborate on.

Ismet

PGY-almost done!
Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
May 15, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Yeah jeans are not business casual, so what they consider business casual is not the norm. No tennis shoes. Sperrys are probably fine for this instance but if you have loafers that's a better choice. And for future reference for other jobs/events, business casual does not include boat shoes.

baratheonfire

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I have orientation tomorrow and the dress code is business casual.

What to wear: The dress is business casual (shorts, t-shirts, scrubs and flip flops are not acceptable). Jeans are acceptable as long as they are professional, no holes or fading.

Will wearing a polo shirt, khakis, and tennis shoes be considered business casual?
Just wear a button down, dress pants, and dress shoes/loafers. Works for 90% of occasions.

Reactions: Cara Delevingne
Feb 26, 2016
Status
Medical Student
My thoughts: A polo shirt is not business casual. Tennis shoes are not business casual. Wear some real clothes.

According to the "not acceptable" list, your clothes should suffice, since they are neither on the list, nor more casual than the items.

----x----

2+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2015
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
For some reason lots of people /organizations have a different idea of what business casual or professional means.

My boss (at a scribe company) told me to show up in business professional attire to a meeting. So I showed up in a suit and tie, with formal overcoat. I was the only one - he was in a zip up jacket and khakis...

baratheonfire has the right idea. Do slacks, button down, and dress shoes. It won't be wrong.

Kurk

2+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2016
Status
Pre-Dental
Only really dark jeans can pass as business casual. I personally wear khakis of any color along with a dress-shirt (not buttoned at the collar), and some sort of leather shoe that matches my belt. I don't really consider any kind of polos to be business casual—you look like you work at a fast food joint.