scribeamerica - what are the chances of getting hired?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillaxbro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:naughty:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Scribe at the only company in my area, and I was just wondering -- what's the difference between the companies? Do policies / amount of shifts / length of shifts just vary? I would assume they are fairly similar...

Just curious! I know nothing about ScribeAmerica, and I'm curious if it is better or more competitive than other companies.

Members don't see this ad :)
shift lengths etc depend on the physicians you're working with, not the scribe company.

I have worked with as an ER scribe with scribeamerica for about 2 years. I was lucky and was hired when they firsted started at this location. I know most locations have a waiting list, espically in popular areas like FL. However, at least at out location people referred by current scribes are often given priority over those just applying through scribeamerica

Worked for the company for about 2 years as well. Best thing I've done for my journey to becoming a physician thus far. I remember that I applied and didn't get a response until 2 months later. Then I had an interview with around 70 people and they chose 10. I imagine it's even more competitive now since back then the company, and scribing in general, was brand new.

Reactions: 1 user
That's what I thought. So why are some companies "better"?

Are some companies better? From what I understand, they're all low wage, low benefits shift work.

The larger companies might be better at selling their brand and negotiating with hospitals, but I don't think that would necessarily make them "better" as an employee.

physassist >>>>

I concur. Not all scribe companies are created equally. Physassist is definitely an amazing scribe company. I've worked for them.

Anyone that says scribing is low wage is correct. Anyone that says scribing is low benefit... clearly has never scribed.

I am way more confident in clinical situations and have more experience with various things. Sure I could work up an acute MI. I could easily write the orders and admission. Then start the patient on nitro, morphine, oxygen, ASA and activate the cath lab after one year of scribing. So could a properly educated nurse or ED tech.

The difference? Now that I'm in medical school, I realize how much I didn't know about what I was doing. Sure it was an easy algorithm to follow, but now I know how morphine works and why it's important in MI pain control. I've also learned that there are certain MIs which are contraindicated to thrombolysis and nitro.

Scribing was an amazing experience. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get involved in this field.

Look for regional scribing opportunities, you don't necessarily have to go through a national scribe company to secure a good (decent paying) scribe job.

I concur. Not all scribe companies are created equally. Physassist is definitely an amazing scribe company. I've worked for them.

Anyone that says scribing is low wage is correct. Anyone that says scribing is low benefit... clearly has never scribed.

I am way more confident in clinical situations and have more experience with various things. Sure I could work up an acute MI. I could easily write the orders and admission. Then start the patient on nitro, morphine, oxygen, ASA and activate the cath lab after one year of scribing. So could a properly educated nurse or ED tech.

The difference? Now that I'm in medical school, I realize how much I didn't know about what I was doing. Sure it was an easy algorithm to follow, but now I know how morphine works and why it's important in MI pain control. I've also learned that there are certain MIs which are contraindicated to thrombolysis and nitro.

Scribing was an amazing experience. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to get involved in this field.

Eh, I meant traditional benefits like health insurance, vacations, 401k, etc, not intangibles. Not everything in the world is about "how this will effect my med school application"

Eh, I meant traditional benefits like health insurance, vacations, 401k, etc, not intangibles. Not everything in the world is about "how this will effect my med school application"

Affect... fixed that for you.

Also, entry level scribe jobs for the most part do not offer a 401k, health insurance, vacations. These are usually dead end jobs unless you move up in the scribe world of management.

So... back to the original question... If I applied today, what are the chances of being hired for the summer or after the summer...? I live in Manhattan
How would I go about getting a scribe job not via a company like this? Which department in a hospital should I call/email/look for if I wanted to ask about scribe positions?

Members don't see this ad :)
So... back to the original question... If I applied today, what are the chances of being hired for the summer or after the summer...? I live in Manhattan

You should apply and find out. No one can answer this question for you. Scribe jobs are not that easy to come by in high demand areas.

How would I go about getting a scribe job not via a company like this? Which department in a hospital should I call/email/look for if I wanted to ask about scribe positions?

My company requires a year commitment, so if other companies are similar, you wouldn't be able to just work for the summer.

Like others said, for the big companies, you really have to just apply and hope they're hiring at the time you want a job. When they're hiring, if they like your resume, they'll interview you. Other than that, ask around at your school. If you have a premed advisor or club, ask them if anybody from your school has worked as a scribe and who they worked for.

I submitted an app in Dec 2012... Received a call Jan 2013 only because I left a voicemail. They wanted to setup an interview told them that if there was another time (had class)... She put me on a wait list for Feb... Still no call :(

I applied at PhysAssist and did an online interview and was not hired. If I had been, it would have required training in Texas (I'm in Illinois) in a "mock" ER. I currently work for ScribeAmerica and have for 8 months. I love my ER, my doctors, my coworkers and my job in general. Great experience. One of our scribes left PhysAssist to come here because they were very unwilling to work with her school schedule despite them boasting that as one of their greatest aspects.

PS I was lucky enough to know someone who JUST got hired when I put in my application, however I also have medical terminology and have been a medic for 4 years and a 911 dispatcher for 2 years.

How difficult is it to get a job at any of these? Also, what is the salary like in the tri-state area (NJ-NY)? Glassdoor puts it pretty low... :confused: Is it salaried or hourly?

How difficult is it to get a job at any of these? Also, what is the salary like in the tri-state area (NJ-NY)? Glassdoor puts it pretty low... :confused: Is it salaried or hourly?

Well, it's not a career by any means. You can't be a professional scribe. Thus I wouldn't expect it to be that high. I get a couple dollars higher than minimum wage per hour :)

Well, it's not a career by any means. You can't be a professional scribe. Thus I wouldn't expect it to be that high. I get a couple dollars higher than minimum wage per hour :)
Thanks! Then can it be something you do once a week or something, or it's a full-time job?

Thanks! Then can it be something you do once a week or something, or it's a full-time job?

It's 2-3 shifts a week minimum for me, sometimes 4. Usually 20-30 hours a week.

@ Hoosierscribble, I am assuming you are from Indiana and was wondering where you were a scribe at, if you don't mind telling? I have been looking, but can't find any hospitals that use scribes around my area.

It was a really quick process.

I submitted my app via the company's website. Had a skype interview with 1 week and got hired.

Pay is $8 for first three months, then $10 afterwards.

^ Awesome. Yale alum for $8 an hour.

Reactions: 1 user

Part of the game. You get a lot more out of scribing (job experience wise) than you would working for $8-10 an hour anywhere else. That said, when my roommate scribes the 11pm-8am shift on a Friday night or works a 24 hour shift I would be lying if I said he didn't get a little irritated about the pay.

Worth it overall though. I was signed up and ready to interview but couldn't fulfill their year-long requirement.

Part of the game. You get a lot more out of scribing (job experience wise) than you would working for $8-10 an hour anywhere else. That said, when my roommate scribes the 11pm-8am shift on a Friday night or works a 24 hour shift I would be lying if I said he didn't get a little irritated about the pay.

Worth it overall though. I was signed up and ready to interview but couldn't fulfill their year-long requirement.

24 hour shift?!? Oh my god that's crazy. Is that even a thing for scribes? Oh man!

But yes, agreed. The experience makes it so worth it. Plus it's not like you're a scribe forever -- it's a stepping stone. Every scribe in my company is working towards med / PA school.

If I don't get into medical school this cycle (2 waitlists), I am pretty convinced that I will try to become a scribe for the next year. There are not any programs near me that are hiring for scribes. Has anyone here moved to a new state just to scribe?

This semester, I have biochem at 8 am five days a week. So no thanks?

I had thought about scribing during school, and I am so glad I didn't. After a degree, I think it would be great experience that didn't mess with your academics. The effects of those overnight/24 hr type of shifts on me days afterward would be bad. I know people from my school who did scribe, and it did affect their academic performance.

It's just hard enough dealing with pre-req classes, MCAT, and all the other soft expectations of "the game" to have to deal with a grinding job with irregular hours.

24 hour shift?!? Oh my god that's crazy. Is that even a thing for scribes? Oh man!

But yes, agreed. The experience makes it so worth it. Plus it's not like you're a scribe forever -- it's a stepping stone. Every scribe in my company is working towards med / PA school.

I can definitely see how full-time clinical work is critical for PA and its 3,000+ hours requirement. But is scribing the right way to go? I've heard that PA programs like to promote people who have been doing medical assisting or EMT work for years. That line of work is more long-term than a scribing gig, which is comparably an entry-level job.

As for MD/DO, just be sure that scribing gig isn't hurting your GPA/MCAT.

I'd rather scribe for $10/hr than sit in a cubicle for $15/hr

A guy I know just quit his scribing job to take a $12/hr at call center cubicle job. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I mainly applied because the job is in my home city and I could live at home (so no rent). I got one of those boring (and stupid) consulting gigs for 75K in NYC.

But I don't know if I will be able to travel for interview invites with the consulting job, so I am still looking for jobs down south.

Don't freak out too much, that is not a normal thing, someone called off their shift and he took it (and it happened to be in between two of his shifts). Based on his experience, he usually works 2, 8-10 hour shifts/wk during the school year. If you do that on weekends you have zero class conflicts. Sure you give up a little social life, but if you really want the experience, you will still scribe.

Don't freak out too much, that is not a normal thing, someone called off their shift and he took it (and it happened to be in between two of his shifts). Based on his experience, he usually works 2, 8-10 hour shifts/wk during the school year. If you do that on weekends you have zero class conflicts. Sure you give up a little social life, but if you really want the experience, you will still scribe.

I'm a scribe already :oops: That's my experience as well -- 2 or 3 shifts that are usually 8 hours long a week for parttime.

And yes, as someone said, you have to be sure that it doesn't affect your GPA or academic performance. So far, I think I'm doing okay, so thank goodness for that! But you definitely have to know yourself and know if it's going to be something you'll be able to do while in school. I've found that I've had to really focus and not waste any time. Also I have had to be hyperprepared, and always several steps ahead. It's working for me so far! I'm actually doing better now than I was before, probably because I'm so extremely focused. Of course, this won't work for everyone. You gotta know what's best for you.

I love scribing. Being in the hospital, seeing patients, working alongside physicians... There's nowhere else I'd rather be :thumbup: If you want that experience, you can make it work somehow!

does anyone know anything about the junior project leader for scribe america? I have a screening interview for that position coming up.

I can definitely see how full-time clinical work is critical for PA and its 3,000+ hours requirement. But is scribing the right way to go? I've heard that PA programs like to promote people who have been doing medical assisting or EMT work for years. That line of work is more long-term than a scribing gig, which is comparably an entry-level job.

A guy I know just quit his scribing job to take a $12/hr at call center cubicle job. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Medical Assistant and EMT are pretty entry level. The only person in PA school that I know took a paramedic course over her last two years of college and worked as a paramedic for a year while applying to PA school. A lot of scribes at my hospital are applying to PA school, but we also scribe for PA's so I don't know if that helps or not. Maybe they just apply to PA schools that don't require "hands on contact"

I'm not really a sit still kind of person, so a cubicle would drive me crazy. Plus, I get super bored if I'm not learning something new every day.

I think this is what I need to do if I want to get in. It's financial suicide though, because it's, at best, 30% of what I'm making now. :( Is there like, 'SUPER PAY" scribe or something? :laugh:

I think this is what I need to do if I want to get in. It's financial suicide though, because it's, at best, 30% of what I'm making now. :( Is there like, 'SUPER PAY" scribe or something? :laugh:

After a year with my company, you get raised from 10 an hour to 12 an hour. Trainers can get paid up to 15. Plus you get paid extra for overnights and holidays.

After a year with my company, you get raised from 10 an hour to 12 an hour. Trainers can get paid up to 15. Plus you get paid extra for overnights and holidays.
Can I ask, the first year, how much you were able to rake in? I'm only looking for a year commitment for medical school purposes. :)

Is this becoming a too common thing? I'm looking for something to do in my two years between graduating undergrad and starting medical school. I would really like to do something clinically-related to make sure that medical school is the right path for me and this seems like it would be a really good fit. I guess I'm worried that, if it's becoming a very common thing for pre-med students to do, that med schools will think that I just did it to be able to put it on my application.

Is this becoming a too common thing? I'm looking for something to do in my two years between graduating undergrad and starting medical school. I would really like to do something clinically-related to make sure that medical school is the right path for me and this seems like it would be a really good fit. I guess I'm worried that, if it's becoming a very common thing for pre-med students to do, that med schools will think that I just did it to be able to put it on my application.

I wouldn't worry about it. Although medical schools talk about wanting to find unique snowflakes, their soft expectations end up producing applicants with broadly similar profiles.

If you commit to something for two years, nobody's going to think you did it "just for the application" and it's not an easy job, so if you were doing it just so it will look good, you'd likely quit.

Wait.... first you apply to scribeamerica... then what happens?