scribing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strudel19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I start scribing next week and I'm pretty excited. Anyone else have any cool scribing experiences to share?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been scribing for 2 years, I have 3 shifts left. I have learned quite a lot at this job.

You will love it, and you will hate it. You'll mainly hate the people that run the scribing company and love your docs.....most of them.

I'm starting scribing in August! Let me know how your first week goes!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been scribing for 2 years, I have 3 shifts left. I have learned quite a lot at this job.

You will love it, and you will hate it. You'll mainly hate the people that run the scribing company and love your docs.....most of them.

Thanks for the info!

I'm starting scribing in August! Let me know how your first week goes!

I'll definitely do that!

Any tips on how to get a scribing position without having an EMT certification and mainly having non-emergency room clinical experience?

Scribing advice: make nice with the nurses and techs. Also, don't be a robot. Have fun, and make friends. The doctors are people too, and they like having someone to shoot the breeze with while working. I'm pretty sure I've stayed in touch with more of my docs than fellow scribes.

I feel like I've posted glowing reviews of my scribe experience on every scribe thread that exists on SDN..... So naturally, I couldn't let this one slip through the cracks :D

Scribing is so awesome. You learn something new every shift. You get to become friends with doctors, nurses, techs, transport staff, fellow scribes... I genuinely love almost everyone that works at my hospital. It's a really truly super great experience :)

Do you feel that being a scribe helped your app to med school?

Do you feel that being a scribe helped your app to med school?

I was having doubts about medicine, but scribing absolutely annihilated those. It also made EM my favorite field by a mile. I never had a bad day and loved every minute at work. Learned soooo much.

Specifically with my applications, it doesn't hurt have 40hr/wk of clinical experience. It also gave me something I could really passionately talk with interviewers about. There are a lot of scribes out there, but I think it's still so new that most people don't know a lot about it.

I've been scribing for about 8 months now. It's the most amazing experience. I've worked almost 800 hours and seen incredible things from intubations, cardiac arrests, chest tube placements, strokes, stemis, and a thousand other procedures, illnesses, etc. The pay kind of sucks but I started training other scribes so I got a small pay increase. Honestly, I would do this job for a whole lot less because you literally are with the doctor during their entire shift and see the entire patient visit from start to finish.

If anyone has any questions about scribing you can private message me or I'll try to look back here and answer questions.

scribed for 3 years. best experience ever. I met some of the coolest people and I still keep in touch with some of the doctors. Advice: don't be a pre-med gunner and make nice with the nurses/techs/unit secretaries. It'll make a world of a difference.

Have fun! The first few months may be overwhelming (they were for me) but keep at it and it'll become really fun!

Hi guys, just wondering what scribe companies you guys work/ worked for?

Members don't see this ad :)
How fast do you have to type to get hired?

I am starting in the next week or so aswell! Extremely excited to finally get in the ED and log some hours.

Good luck to those starting soon.

~70 wpm at my company. I type 90-100 wpm or so, and I think it'd be significantly harder if I typed much slower than that.

Hi guys, just wondering what scribe companies you guys work/ worked for?

I worked for iScribeMD. It was started by a local (Toledo) EM group for their own service. They're starting to expand to other places now, however.

We didn't have to take a typing test. When I was hired our big hospital was still using paper and the smaller one was electronic. They both electronic now, so maybe the new hires are tested.

I've been a scribe with ScribeAmerica for a little over a year now. It really is one of the best experiences I've had. The doctors, PAs and the rest of the ED and Scribe staff are all great. It's a really good way to build relationships for LORs.

I didn't need to meet a WPM requirement to start working. I don't type incredibly fast, but depending on the pace of the department as well as the EMR system that the hospital uses, typing speed can be a factor..

I have a phone interview coming up for a scribe position. I'm super excited and reading these experiences is very motivating! Please send good thoughts my way :)

Thanks for the info! I applied at one place and they put me on a wait list (?) Because they had no job openings. I'll try those other places. =)

Scribing is great! I went solo in May so I'm still pretty new to it all. The doctors are usually pretty friendly and the first month they took it a bit easier on the new scribes. There will be some doctors that you meet that are not as easy to work with in terms of speed (they'll usually keep asking you if you have the chart done and will want to discharge the patients right after they see them etc.)

Keeping a general positive attitude and not taking things personally will help you go a long way. I know some of my new coworkers have ended crying on the job because of something a doctor has said (they all seem to be from one doc so I think its just that he's difficult to work with)...

Also, be friendly! You spend 8 hours working with one person, engage in conversation or at least maintain a friendly exterior. I know some of the other scribes that got hired around the same time that I did are shocked on how well I get along with most of the docs. A smile can truly go a long way.

And if you get overwhelmed with all the medical lingo, make sure to let the doctor you're working with that you're still new and unfamiliar with some terms. My company had us learn alot of the common terms but I still hear some words that I'm unfamiliar with. Try to google the spelling, and if you can't find it, make sure to ask the doctor. Your job is to make sure the physician's charts are accurate, they might get annoyed sometimes, but you have to make sure you do your job with accuracy.

If you have any questions you can always contact me. Good luck!

I start scribing next week and I'm pretty excited. Anyone else have any cool scribing experiences to share?

You can read a few of my experiences here, here, and here.

Also, +1 for scribing being an excellent experience. You get to learn a ton, see some cool stuff, and possibly get a few good LORs from the physicians you work with. Plus, my docs actually bought me a cool going-away present for medical school.

I have an interview at a local hospital in about two weeks and I'm so excited! I really hope I get this job. I've been bored out of mind since graduating and I can't wait to start working somewhere but I'm also really excited about the prospect of working in a clinical setting. It seems like everyone who posts on SDN about scribing loves it. Wish me luck! :)

I have been scribing for one year and it has been a really great experience. I mostly work nights which is really tough with school and the main reason I have decided to quit before the fall semester starts..I will finally be able to sleep like a normal person! I have learned so much about the medical field and have been able to connect with doctors on a very personal basis. I would recommend it to anyone.