Scribing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sixty8

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Scribe America?
They recently put an ad up for ED scribes at my local hospital and I am considering applying. Have a few questions for any of you current scribes out there.

1. From what I am reading online, it looks like we initially undergo 20+ hours of unpaid training. Does this sound right?

2. Would it benefit me to complete a med term class before applying? Or will the training be enough?

3. What is the job like in the ED? Is it demanding? Worth the experience?

4. The hospital that they are hiring at had an internal COVID-19 outbreak. What has the company’s response been in ensuring proper protection is afforded to their workers?

Members don't see this ad.

They recently put an ad up for ED scribes at my local hospital and I am considering applying. Have a few questions for any of you current scribes out there.

1. From what I am reading online, it looks like we initially undergo 20+ hours of unpaid training. Does this sound right?

2. Would it benefit me to complete a med term class before applying? Or will the training be enough?

4. The hospital that they are hiring at had an internal COVID-19 outbreak. What has the company’s response been in ensuring proper protection is afforded to their workers?

1. No. Training was paid.
2. Sure, it would make things easier, but it is not necessary.
3. Hard at first. With SA, you will likely work with a different provider every shift and be trying to complete their charts as they want them. It is not very physically demanding, as most of the time is spent at the desk, but some docs have you go to follow-ups as well. Good short term experience. Pay, hours, SA leadership all suck though. 90% of the other scribes and doctors are awesome though.
4. Site specific. This job posting could just be set to auto-repost every x days. A lot of locations stopped using scribes. Some just have scribes wait at the desk and they dictate the HPI when the doc returns.

Reactions: 1 users
Agree with what has been said. I'm an inpatient scribe with a hospitalist group and wanted to add that we've been working from home during COVID. AFAIK there is no definite date when scribes will return to the hospital (chicago area). So to add on to your questions

2. don't bother with a class, you will learn everything you need in training, and anything you don't is a google search away.

3: I think the job has been a good experience. I think it's different than the ED in that you get to see a patient's complete course rather than just their presentation and that's been cool to see. No overnight shifts compared to ED :) 90% of the docs have been cool. I like most of my coworkers and the regional leadership has been good, but I've heard negative things about national Scribeamerica leadership. Overall, it must have helped my application because I got in as a reapplicant after adding the year of scribing experience, which I had lacked before.

4. remote scribing is possible if you're concerned about safety. No commute is great, but you do miss out on some aspects of the learning experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely do it if your app is lacking in the clinical exposure department or if it’s too research heavy. The experience is great in the sense that you’ll get an immersive experience in medicine and an early idea of whether ED medicine is right for you. For me, I absolutely hated it but that’s something I needed to learn in person and it was a necessary evil, as it helped me get in this cycle. The pay is absolute crap, working different shifts was a huge pain, and Scribe America is just cheap. Even if you work “full-time” you’ll never get benefits because to them, full-time is 38 hours.

Reactions: 1 users

1. Yes.

2. You learn everything on the job. Because there are a lot of premeds out there, competition for these jobs are always hard. I would take it now, considering that there will be a mass exodos of accepted med student applicants.

3. Its hard. Its demanding and overwhelming. You learn quite a bit, though.

4. Probably insufficient.

Its a good way to get clinical experience. 90% of the time, the docs/pas/nps you work with will be grateful and understanding. Of course there will be some jerks. If I could do it over again, I would.

Reactions: 1 user