Scrubbing in vs volunteering/shadowing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueElmo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between "scrubbing in" in a clinic or a hospital vs volunteering/shawdoing a doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between "scrubbing in" in a clinic or a hospital vs volunteering/shawdoing a doctor?

scrubbing in in the literal sense is when you literally scrub your hands before surgery and can assist with the surgery. As a pre-med I don't think this is even legal in the states.

Shadowing entails following a doctor around and seeing what he or she does. Sometimes you get some experience with vitals.

Volunteering, depending on where it is can range from pushing someone around in a wheel chair to taking vitals and histories.

if you're lucky, a surgeon will let you stand in the operating room and watch. i'd be very careful about calling that "scrubbing in."

when i've watched the surgery I usually got bored or couldn't see much of what was happening and ended up talking to the anesthesiologist.

Members don't see this ad :)
scrubbing in in the literal sense is when you literally scrub your hands before surgery and can assist with the surgery. As a pre-med I don't think this is even legal in the states.

Shadowing entails following a doctor around and seeing what he or she does. Sometimes you get some experience with vitals.

Volunteering, depending on where it is can range from pushing someone around in a wheel chair to taking vitals and histories.

It's "legal" if you are following around a surgeon and they get approval from the patient, but it makes me nervous. I don't mind students who have some concept of aseptic technique and a sterile conscience. Others make me nervous.

I'm a trained /certified surgical tech, so It's kinda my job to be nervous. Every July I pray for a quick end to the summer. :laugh:

It's "legal" if you are following around a surgeon and they get approval from the patient, but it makes me nervous. I don't mind students who have some concept of aseptic technique and a sterile conscience. Others make me nervous.

I'm a trained /certified surgical tech, so It's kinda my job to be nervous. Every July I pray for a quick end to the summer. :laugh:

You have to love new 3rd years contaminating themselves and equipment over, and over, and over again in the same procedure at the beginning!

You have to love new 3rd years contaminating themselves and equipment over, and over, and over again in the same procedure at the beginning!

I feel kinda sorry for them just standing there. I usually hand them the Mayo scissors to keep their hands busy and cut down on the contamination and the nerves!

I'm a sophomore and I work 12 hours a week with the anesthesia department. I'm helping out with 3 research projects dealing with liver transplants and CPB cases. I basically am taking data from the anesthesiologist, critiquing their procedure, and helping them out with distinguishing key trademarks in TEE images. It's exciting, but they expect me to know some medical information (such as TEE use) at the same level or better than the anesthesiologists. It's very rewarding. I'm basically getting volunteer credit through the hospital as well as being part of research.

I'm a sophomore and I work 12 hours a week with the anesthesia department. I'm helping out with 3 research projects dealing with liver transplants and CPB cases. I basically am taking data from the anesthesiologist, critiquing their procedure, and helping them out with distinguishing key trademarks in TEE images. It's exciting, but they expect me to know some medical information (such as TEE use) at the same level or better than the anesthesiologists. It's very rewarding. I'm basically getting volunteer credit through the hospital as well as being part of research.

Anyone interested in totally unsolicited information about how great Surferboy is? I'll start the bidding at "You'll love 3rd year, knowing more than attendings", anyone care to raise it to "You'd be doing society an injustice by going into anything but the most prestigious thing you can find"?

NOOO WAYYY, brah! You, like, totally get to work in the ORs? SIIICK!

Bro, how was the surf today?

A neurosurgeon let me scrub in one time...it was so exhilerating...he was doing a laminectomy...fricken awesome...why i want to go into neurosugery

I've gotten to stand in on 23 surgeries with an orthopod at an out-patient surgery center, but I wouldn't call it "scrubbing in". I just try to stand out of the way. Thankfully most of his stuff is done arthroscopically, so I'm able to watch the monitor. On occasion though he'll do an open shoulder which is hard to see (since I'm only 5'3") and that can get boring, but he usually tries to let me see at least a few things (mostly after he's done with the repair).

I've gotten to stand in on 23 surgeries with an orthopod at an out-patient surgery center, but I wouldn't call it "scrubbing in". I just try to stand out of the way. Thankfully most of his stuff is done arthroscopically, so I'm able to watch the monitor. On occasion though he'll do an open shoulder which is hard to see (since I'm only 5'3") and that can get boring, but he usually tries to let me see at least a few things (mostly after he's done with the repair).

Thats sweet...I got to stand in the OR during an open-heart surgery...they stopped a 16 year old kids heart and completely removed it and put it on ice...put in a new heart valve...and put it back....i did not get to scrub in but i was right next to everything when it happened...it was amazing to watch the heart start beating again

Thats sweet...I got to stand in the OR during an open-heart surgery...they stopped a 16 year old kids heart and completely removed it and put it on ice...put in a new heart valve...and put it back....i did not get to scrub in but i was right next to everything when it happened...it was amazing to watch the heart start beating again

That's awesome! I'm definitely jealous.:thumbup:

I shadowed a surgeon a couple of days ago. It was cool, but did not get me excited like I thought it initally would. They made me wear scrubs and everything (I must say I look damn good in scrubs). I stood right besides the surgeon for 6 hours straight, and everyone called me doctor - it was awesome. And when I walked in to waiting room in my scrubs everybody was smiling and saying "hello doctor!" etc. And this very hot brunette said "hey handsome" "wink" lol. It all felt so good, I can't wait to become a doctor - my life will be set. :D

Reactions: 1 user