Scrubs in Public

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kahlil78

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I can understand occasionally having to run errands after work or school in scrubs. What gets me is the losers at school who run around to the mall, etc. in scrubs, apparently to impress chicks, and end up looking like total *****s. It makes me want to puke.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Trust me, I know EXACTLY what you mean.

I used to work at the hospital but I wanted to take a shower and get those scrubs off as soon as I got home.

These fools must think that the outside world thinks that everyone who wears scrubs is a doctor.

It seems like everybody at school does that too, trying to impress people because they work in a hospital. Big freakin deal, been there, done that.

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

[This message has been edited by baylor21 (edited March 26, 2001).]

I don't wear my scrubs, just my latex gloves and a stethoscope.

Occasionally I'll attach my EKG calipers to my collar.

The best though, what really gets'em... the fresh scent of Formaldehyde... the Hi Karate of colognes.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If people are wearing them to impress people, thats stupid. However, I know lots of people at my college who just wear them to class and around cause they're comfy - and they arent even premeds!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by SDN-Jim:
I don't wear my scrubs, just my latex gloves and a stethoscope.

Occasionally I'll attach my EKG calipers to my collar.

Whew...glad you mentioned a collar. For a moment there, I envisioned you wearing NOTHING BUT the latex and scope!
wink.gif
Although I can suggest a place to attach those calipers should you ever decide to give it a try au naturel. OUCH!!! ;0

I wouldn't wear one in public but let me tell ya...ever since I got my first pair that's all I ever sleep in. Whoever invented scrubs had comfort in mind. They are so comfortable that I don't think I could step out of the house in them, I would feel naked! They're light, you can wash 'em a million times, they don't shrink, they don't fade!!! THEY ARE THE MIRACLE PJS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try them and you too, my friend, will be hooked.

Totally agree with bigdirt!!!!!

Actually one of the reasons that I want to go into ER Medicine is that I get to stay up all night and wear pajamas to work... I just thought of this, but Target and Wal-Mart in my town sell scrubs. They are hella cheap and look like the real thing. So when you see people wearing scrubs around, unless you know for a fact they are a Doctor or Med Student; they might just be a regular Joe who decided to wear his most comfortable, cheapest outfit.

kimberlicox, you are reading to much into the collar. Who says he meant shirt collar. Could have been dog collar, or spiked collar. Then you really would want to know about the calipers.
smile.gif
Or maybe not.

Hey...watch the content here. This is a medical forum, not a XXX chat room. Where's a moderator when you need one!

Oh...I see now...he's the one running around naked in the collar with the calipers on where?

And we thought there were issues with the dental forum
cool.gif

mj

Scrubs are as comfortable as pajamas.

Wearing them out to the grocery store to pick up some things isn't so bad. Wearing them to the gym instead of sweat pants or shorts isn't so bad either. But I do agree that if you're spotting them in shopping malls, restaurants, and any event in which a person should be a little more presentable -- that's pretty harsh.

I heard that last Spring Break someone in my class went to Cancun and wore scrubs around on the beach.
smile.gif
Med students...

------------------
Tim Wu.

Speaking of wearing scrubs on the beach, I was just watching MTV's spring break stuff and everyone was wearing them! It was unbelievable to see all these girls running around in these skimpy bikinis, dancing with these guys wearing scrubs in every different color. I tell you, WHAT is this world coming to? I must also say that I am guilty however of wearing my scrubs everywhere, to bed, to the grocery store, to the library, to class, etc. I think people should be comfy, but if some guy thinks that girls are going to fall for him because he wearing scrubs, he's pretty naive. The other thing about scrubs is that they are still comfy even in hot weather, you stay cool, but I guess some of us who are only wearing stethoscopes and such wouldn't have to worry about staying cool. :)

Well, I hate to admit this but here goes...

I was able to finagle some scrubs for my boyfriend who is in no way interested in the medical field (he's in finance)...So come Halloween, he dressed up in scrubs and borrowed a stethoscope and went to work like that! I can only image a guy in scrubs sitting at a desk in a financial firm.

But the weird thing is, he had a bunch of girls come on to him! I didn't believe till I saw it but then I realized, scrubs can make a guy look hot!! Ok, maybe only my guy...hmmmm....
biggrin.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
Gee, I was looking forward to wearing my white coat to the mall...guess that would be bad form, eh?

Besides, I think from a woman's point of view, it might backfire...lord knows men HATE a woman smarter than they are...
wink.gif

(waiting for the flames....)

I actually always find it a big turn-off to meet men smarter than I am -- they should just sit there and look good. And the ability to give a good massage doesn't hurt either.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Cobragirl:

Besides, I think from a woman's point of view, it might backfire...lord knows men HATE a woman smarter than they are...
wink.gif

Hey Lilycat...that's why I married MY man....

{wink}
wink.gif

Is this gonna be SDN's version of a Lilith fest? Is that what that estrogen-soaked music romp is called?

Anyway, some women are so shallow and gold-digger-esque that they'd walk up to a guy and talk to him JUST BECAUSE he's wearing scrubs and a scope, but dudes, is this the type of lady you want hanging around you? I sure don't.

My friend and I went to some local bar and he wore scrub pants. A bunch of really unclean looking women came up to us (I guess I was associated with the profession by association with scrub guy). Did we bite? No. It's nasty.

------------------
Tim Wu.

I love having a wife smarter than me. She is also working while I am in med school. WooHoo. Love that women's lib.

Of course she is also planning her retirement as soon as I finish residency.
smile.gif

oh come on Wu. Put on your collar and calipers and take your rightful place next to Jim.

Not to be confrontational here, but did you stop to think that these "unclean looking women" could have been targeting you and not scrub man; that maybe they approached you because they thought you were their speed? Women don't tend to go after men they think are out of their league. Just a thought.

mj

Cobragirl, you just reminded me of something. I know you were kidding about the white coat, but...&lt;giggle&gt;...my coworker has a med student neighbor who is a little *too* attached to her white coat. When she comes home in the evening, she never walks into the apartment merely *carrying* it...she must step out of the car and put it on, for all to see...she *must wear it* into the apt building. When she leaves in the morning, she wears it out to the car, then takes it off and drives away. &lt;giggle&gt; Somebody's proud to be an M1! Can't say I blame her...if I ever get in, I'm gonna staple the acceptance letter to my forehead, and wait for people to ask me about it.
wink.gif

Owen

We often used the words, "average joe." What is really the operational definition of this phrase? A nuclear physicist wearing scrubs is not an average person. A physicist/mathematician is a modern day Einstein.

pgy1

[This message has been edited by crisis_response_director (edited March 28, 2001).]

When I worked in the dishroom of a nursing home, I had to wear scrubs.

I used to get winks from the old ladies.

------------------
Joshua Paul Hazelton
[email protected]
University of the Sciences in Philadelphia (2002)

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by turtleboard:
Is this gonna be SDN's version of a Lilith fest? Is that what that estrogen-soaked music romp is called?

I think that's an excellent suggestion Tim! We need to have an SDN thread devoted to everyone's favorite Indigo Girls/Tracy Chapman/Sarah McLachlan song. We can have a little sing-along in the chatroom.
wink.gif

As for scrubs/white coats in public, this wasn't totally in public, but I found it obnoxious. When I took my first semester of bio lab, there was a sophomore in there with a white coat (the long one, not the short one) with his name embroidered above the pocket. He took the coat out of his backpack before the start of each class, wore it throughout lab (even if we were just doing something with plants or taking notes, whatever) and then carefully put it back in his backpack at the end of lab. I really, really hope for his sake that he has been accepted to medical school. I think his whole sense of identity would be crushed otherwise.

That is SO sad it's almost funny....

I must say the sophomore with the embroidered coat is strange and a bit overboard. But while I was in the midst of cringing a thought suddenly occurred to me:

What if his loving grandmother had the coat embroidered for him as a birthday present and he is wearing it as a tribute to her!!!

I know, I know, that's pretty random...but still, that's the only way I can see justifying it. Grandparents are my weakspot...with them, anything goes.
smile.gif

I took the mcat this august and there was a girl wearing full scrubs to take her mcat. She looked around as though she was looking for more of a reaction than she got. I wonder if it was an attempt to intimidate, or maybe it was just self-motivation. Anyways, I had forgotten about it till this topic arose.

Medical technologists must wear white coats as apart of a health regulation law. They are actually not allowed to work without the white coat. Because a med tech's job can be so messy, many wear scrubs underneath. Some techs say that all that garmet is hot and uncomfortable. But, it is just basically regulation and trying to stay clean.

peace

How come everyone thinks guys look hot in their scrubs and girls just look, well dowdy?

As for the white coat, I'll admit wearing mine on the bus during the winter to keep warm (I didn't have a locker to store a coat) but that thing was so heavy, so dirty and so confining otherwise, I would take it off every chance I got!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by GreatPumpkin:
kimberlicox, you are reading to much into the collar. Who says he meant shirt collar. Could have been dog collar, or spiked collar. Then you really would want to know about the calipers.
smile.gif
Or maybe not.

Hmmm....you're giving a poor, bored little girl lots to think about!
wink.gif

How about attaching a piccie to your sig file Jim?

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by kimberlicox:
Hmmm....you're giving a poor, bored little girl lots to think about!
wink.gif

How about attaching a piccie to your sig file Jim?

Announcing the latest forum offered by SDN... "S&M". I am officially nominating kimberlicox as the moderator.

[This message has been edited by lilycat (edited March 29, 2001).]

I prefer a tight pair of leather scrubs. Trust me ladies, it's not a pair of XL socks.

SEEKING COACH LEATHER -- EXPOSED MEAT, M.D.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by MEAT:
I prefer a tight pair of leather scrubs. Trust me ladies, it's not a pair of XL socks.

SEEKING COACH LEATHER -- EXPOSED MEAT, M.D.

Are those tube socks MEAT? tee hee

I'm warning you kimbo. Stick to those more your speed like Toran. MEAT is way to much for you to handle...

MEAT can't afford to be distracted by your games at such a critical campaign moment. I see right through you. MEAT will be MODERATOR kimbo, so face facts and keep pyour distance.

VOTE MEAT
MAAT

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Kimberlicox:
While I absolutely adore you Meatie-kins, I think the Pre-allopathic Moderator really *needs* to be a 1st or 2nd year student. They are close enough to the event to be fresh with the information and to sympathize with the poor kids.

However, it has been suggested I moderate an "S&M" forum, perhaps you would be interested in assisting with that?

Gee Kimberlicox, I don't know
rolleyes.gif

MAAT

I'm still not following ya MAAT. Can't imagine I've said anything to raise your hackles so!

I simply opined that the Pre-Allo moderator should be a junior med student. Not a slight against your precious MEAT, but should he be awarded the position, he will have my utmost support.

Me thinks you are a tad bit enmeshed with MEATY BOY.
smile.gif
But I am tired and care not to discuss it further but feel free to email me should you.

All in good fun Kimberlicox.
smile.gif
No raised hackles here (as long as you keep your DOM whip away from MY MEAT that is)

However, I don't agree with you. I don't think a moderator has to be of junior status to support the pre allo board. I think what is more important is that the moderator be able to make good calls as to when to moderate and when to stay out of things. MY MEAT, in spite of (or maybe because of) all his flaws, can do that.

VOTE MEAT
MAAT

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by MAAT:
All in good fun Kimberlicox.
smile.gif
No raised hackles here (as long as you keep your DOM whip away from MY MEAT that is)

However, I don't agree with you. I don't think a moderator has to be of junior status to support the pre allo board. I think what is more important is that the moderator be able to make good calls as to when to moderate and when to stay out of things. MY MEAT, in spite of (or maybe because of) all his flaws, can do that.

VOTE MEAT
MAAT

Actually, I think we agree MAAT. I also believe that a moderator has to be fair, make good calls, etc. These are more important attributes than class level - perhaps I am just projecting too much of my experience onto the position. I frankly find it difficult to remember details of application processes and frustrating to answer the same ol, same ol. I just think a junior classman would be closer to the action and would be in better position to moderate (just like I prefer an International Student to Moderate the International forum, a Resident to Moderate the...and so on).

If Meaty has such a level of tolerance and knowledge of the pre-med experience, then he shall get my vote. But we really should have another candidate just to make sure it looks above board, shouldn't we?
smile.gif

MEAT for Moderator! (How's that?)

The S&M postings are so much more interesting than the evolution threads! I just occasionally pop into those to see who the whack jobs on this forum are. We all need a little "discipline" at times...

Whippa!
The Slug

I'm telling you dammit ( can I say that on SDN?) -- we need a whole S&M forum -- I first nominated kimberlicox as moderator for it, but I like the idea of having her and MEAT both moderate. We've clearly uncovered a whole subculture here.

Kids, forget those unimaginative gifts of stethoscopes for these newly-minted and soon-to-be docs -- it's all about studded leather and cat o' nine tails with this crowd.

SEEKING KIMBERLI "MISTRESS JACKSON IF YOU'RE NASTY" AS MODERATOR

SEEKING MEAT "A MAN WHO PUTS TUBE SOCKS TO GOOD USE" AS MODERATOR

lilycat:

What you really like is the visual image of me in a tight pair of XS leather scrubs.
rolleyes.gif
&lt;music&gt; I'm too sexy for my scrubs, too sexy for my scrubs. I'm a moderator, if Jim will give in..... &lt;music&gt;

SEEKING MORE TUBE SOCKS

S&M MODERATOR MEAT, M.D.

Geez guys, GET A GRIP! Hopefully those of you who actually put thought into this ridiculous subject at least spent some time in a medical facility? Scrubs are what I wear to work in a trauma unit, and unless the unit supplies the scrubs (ie L&D and OR) I do have to get to and from work, and frequently go from work to class & visa verse, occasionally stop by the mall/Walmart on my way home/to work to pick up things for hubby & kids, dogfood, etc... preferably not nekked (hence my signature). If you get all excited and feel all grown up and like a real doctor putting on scrubs, just WAIT till ya hang your first stethoscope around your neck! WOWWWEEEE!! By the way, scrubs make great chemistry lab wear~I would much prefer to stain/burn my scrubs in Quant than a pair of jeans I paid 80 bucks for and rarely get to wear anyway! Sometimes I am just too damn tired to change anyway. Are there really people who dress up in scrubs to play doctor at this level? Just for kicks, I am gonna dress up in a dress and play business tycoon tomorrow~Do ya think anyone will notice? Thanks for the kicks.
And the hits just keep on coming.

------------------
Some people look better with their clothes on!

Stop doing this kids. You look like a tool and you're not impressing anybody. If you want a girlfriend go on tinder like the rest of us and stop triggering my nightmares of anatomy lab and ob

Reactions: 1 users
Was this really necessary?

Yes we have to nip this in the bud and I'm starting my crusade in preallo. I'm tired of seeing medical students at coffee shops with their white coat on and dental students walking around the undergrad campus with scrubs on and nursing students hanging their stethoscopes on their car mirrors. You guys are the worst please wear normal people clothes and do normal people things

Reactions: 1 users
Yes we have to nip this in the bud and I'm starting my crusade in preallo. I'm tired of seeing medical students at coffee shops with their white coat on and dental students walking around the undergrad campus with scrubs on and nursing students hanging their stethoscopes on their car mirrors. You guys are the worst please wear normal people clothes and do normal people things
Are you aware that this thread is 15 years old?

Are you aware that this thread is 15 years old?

Yes the multiple posts that had the number 2001 were a big clue but I nearly missed it, thanks detective holmes

But this evil transcends time itself. All this has happened before and all this will happen again. So say we all

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
If people are wearing them to impress people, thats stupid. However, I know lots of people at my college who just wear them to class and around cause they're comfy - and they arent even premeds!
That's bizarre.