Scrubs on public transport?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Notradaya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been working my butt off for the past 5 months to get our dress code to allow scrubs and I finally pushed it through!!! :clap:No more stuffy dress code is required, we now have a comfort option too! Now the faculty is ironing out some details and I want to be able to give them some info about policies at other Universities that allow scrubs, but I haven't found any info regarding this in all my googling attempts.

Does your dress code policy allow you to arrive and leave the hospital in your scrubs?
Are there any restrictions about where you can and cannot wear them? ie cafeteria, public transport?

We have a hard core clinical coordinator who is trying to rule this with an iron fist and really limit where we can wear them. He doesn't want us to wear them on public transport (or at least not the top, bottoms are ok), in the cafeteria at the hospital, or in the laboratory. :rolleyes: Honestly, if i come running up from the clinics to pour up models at lunch time in the lab, the last thing I'm going to want to do is change out of my scrubs, or even just take off the top... it seems a bit ridiculous, we do have aprons to wear in the lab.

He is also talking about trying to phase out the general use of clinical gowns and only wear them with certain procedures. I know a few programs do this, but most of them have the gowns being worn at all times when in patient treatment area. This makes so much sense from an infection control standpoint.

So could you please help me out and let me know what YOUR program will and won't allow? I need ammunition in case he's being really unreasonable.

As an aside, we are in Sydney, and the public transport thing would affect about 85% of the students since most of us train it to uni.

Thanks!!:D

Members don't see this ad.

How in the world are they going to enforce the "no wearing scrubs in public" policy. Will they have someone follow you around until you get home to make sure? How would it be any different if you were wearing a shirt/tie when treating patients? Could you wear that out in public? If they're prohibiting you from wearing scrubs outside of school, then you should be prohibited from wearing anything else that you wore inside school as well.

just to clarify, i didn't say in public in general, just not on public transportation (eg buses and trains). Although, i think with the way he's going he'd like us to not wear them outside the hospital. that won't happen, but he's trying to enforce things that are just stupid.

That said, my argument against all these rules is exactly what you just said Tinman, how is any of this any different to what we currently are wearing? if i can't wear my scrubs to the cafeteria at lunch, then why am I allowed to wear the clinical attire there? We wear gowns anyway, so why should it matter?

He is trying to use the argument that it's a patient perception thing... what would "you" think if you were a patient and you saw someone in scrubs eating in them, or sipping on their coffee on the train in scrubs? Honestly, i wouldn't give a rats ***! Does anyone else out there watch any medical shows!?!? the scrubs are worn everywhere!! patients don't care what the hell we wear! I can kinda see the public transport thing at the end of the day (for all they know we could be surgeons wandering around with blood remnants on our scrubs, bringing them onto the train), but really, his argument doesn't really have one leg to stand on, in my opinion.

Anyway, any restrictions? that's what I really want to know, i know his arguments are ridiculous, I just want some other policies to prove it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow! It must be a cultural difference but here in the States, it's perfectly acceptable to wear scrubs just about anywhere.

Here is the official dress code at the Univ. of Maryland:

DRESS REGULATIONS WITHIN THE DENTAL SCHOOL
It is the responsibility of all students, faculty, and staff to maintain personal dress and cleanliness that is consistent with professional patient care and MOSH regulations. Enforcement of these regulations is the responsibility of everyone: faculty, staff and students. Then General Practice Managers will monitor third and fourth year students for appropriate attire in the General
Practices.

Patient Treatment Areas:
1. Informal attire such as denim jeans and shorts are not permitted. Clean athletic shoes may only be worn with scrub attire.
2. All students will wear white clinic coats or disposable gowns, provided by the school, during patient treatment. Selection of the coat or gown is based on the procedure being performed. Clinic coats/gowns will be worn in all patient care areas. A clean coat or gown will be worn
each day; it will be changed should it become visibly stained or contaminated during the clinic session. Clinic coats should not be worn outside the building.
3. Surgical scrub attire may be worn while providing patient care, as long as a clean white clinic coat and/or disposable gown is worn over the scrubs. Scrubs in solid, dark colors (blues, greens with the exception of navy blue which is reserved for faculty) will be purchased and maintained by the individual. If a t-shirt is worn underneath the scrub shirt, the t-shirt should
be white, and its sleeve length should not extend below the sleeve length of the scrub top.
Individuals choosing to wear scrubs for patient treatment may either change at school prior to patient treatment or arrive and leave the building in scrub attire.
4. If scrub attire is not worn in the clinic setting, men and women will wear attire appropriate for a professional environment. Men should wear clean, neat slacks and a collared shirt with a necktie. Women who choose to wear skirts, split skirts or dress shorts should select items with a length no shorter than two inches above the knee. Open toed shoes should not be worn
in patient treatment areas.
5. Combination scrubs: Students may wear a dark solid-colored scrub top tucked into neat slacks with a belt and dress shoes. Female students may wear dark solid-colored scrub bottoms with a short-sleeved, solid colored fitted top and athletic shoes.
6. Rings and wristwatches which may potentially penetrate the glove should not be worn when providing patient treatment. Earrings should be either studs, hoops or dangles, which hang no longer than one inch below the ear.
7. An individual’s hairstyle should prevent hair from contacting patients, instruments, or equipment. Hair should be clean and neatly groomed. Hair longer than chin/shoulder length should be worn away from the clinician’s face.
8. Fingernails should be clean, short (no longer than the fingertip) and well manicured. Lightcolored fingernail polish may be worn.

Classroom/Laboratory Attire
1. Men and women may wear appropriate scrub attire as described for patient treatment areas, in #3 and #5 above.
2. If scrub attire is not worn, men and women will wear attire appropriate for a professional environment. Men should wear clean, neat slacks and a collared shirt or turtleneck. Women who choose to wear skirts, split skirts or dress shorts should select items with a length no shorter than two inches above the knee.
3. Faded, torn or tattered denim jeans should not be worn in the classroom or laboratory. Dark blue or colored denim jeans would be acceptable attire for the classroom or laboratory, but may not be worn into clinical areas.
4. Appropriate dress or dress casual shoes should be worn. Athletic shoes may be worn only with scrubs. Open-toed shoes are not acceptable in laboratory or clinical settings.
5. T-shirts with logos should not be worn in the Dental School.
6. Hats of a non-religious nature should not be worn in the Dental School.
7. Lab coats should be worn in anatomy and preclinical labs, and in the Clinical Simulation Unit (CSU).

If they're prohibiting you from wearing scrubs outside of school, then you should be prohibited from wearing anything else that you wore inside school as well.

They should just have an "all nude" dress code. Or lack of dress code I suppose. :)

They should just have an "all nude" dress code. Or lack of dress code I suppose. :)

Makes me think of the candid camera topless dentist video! haha!

The University of Iowa College of Dentistry
Dress Code for Scrubs
1) Cover-gowns
a) Blue paper cover-gowns must still be worn over scrubs during patient care and in all situations where they are currently required.
2) Scrub Design
a) Scrubs will be Ceil Blue in color with no patterns, logos or visible printing*
b) Black “Hawkeye Scrubs” may be worn on Fridays
c) Scrub tops will be short sleeved
d) Scrubs tops will have a traditional V-neck styling
e) Scrub tops will have a single breast pocket
f) Scrub pant waists may either be elastic or drawstring
g) Scrub pant legs should be an appropriate length (not dragging on the ground)
h) Cotton/Synthetic blends are preferred for tops and pants to prevent wrinkling
3) Appearance
a) Scrubs will be clean and non-wrinkled in appearance
b) Scrub tops may be worn either tucked in or un-tucked
c) Scrub pants waist bands should be worn at the natural waist, and not drooping
4) Undershirts
a) For reasons of modesty and/or warmth, solid-colored, ring-necked or mock turtleneck tee shirts will be worn under the scrub top
b) Undershirts can either be short or long sleeved
c) Sleeves on short sleeved tee shirts should not be visible (e.g. should not extend past the length of the scrub top sleeves)
d) Sweaters may not be worn under scrubs
e) Undershirts must be neat and clean in appearance and wrinkle-free
5) Upkeep
a) Clinicians will be responsible for purchasing and laundering their own scrubs
6) Source for Scrubs
a) Scrubs may be purchased from any source that offers scrubs fitting the above description
7) Shoes
a) Clean tennis shoes (cloth or leather) are acceptable with scrubs
b) Shoes must be clean and in good repair
c) Tennis shoes should be predominately white, black or gray, and devoid of fluorescent or bright colorings
d) Tennis shoes with laces must be tied
e) Solid colored clogs are acceptable to wear with scrubs
8) Socks
a) Appropriate socks should be worn to cover legs during seated clinical procedures
9) White Coats
a) When not working with patients in the clinic, students may wear a standard short length white clinic coat, and faculty members may wear a long white coat, over the traditional dress or over scrubs
b) White coats should be laundered or changed as often as necessary to maintain cleanliness
c) Wearing a clean white lab coat while outside the preclinical or clinical area, such as going to the cafeteria, dining facilities and patient reception areas, is encouraged
d) White coats are not to be worn under a blue cover-gown
10) Name Tags
a) Students, faculty and staff are required to wear their College of Dentistry Photo ID Badge at all times
b) During clinic activities, maroon name badges should be worn in the breast pocket of the blue paper cover-gowns.
11) Wearing Scrubs Outside the Building
a) Scrubs are considered “street clothes” and may be worn in and out of the building.

Univ of Michigan

Scrubs, clinic coat and closed toed shoes are preferred, but some people do the shirt/tie/clinic coat thing. We were going to get color coded scrubs to designate each class but that never ended up happening. As of yet we can wear any plain color we like. Many students wear scrubs on public transport on their way to and from school.

I don't understand - you guys can wear scrubs all of the time or just when you are in clinic? Isn't that just like wearing pajamas all of the time?

I don't understand - you guys can wear scrubs all of the time or just when you are in clinic? Isn't that just like wearing pajamas all of the time?

We're required to wear scrubs all the time. And yes, just like wearing pj's...it's the whole reason I chose this profession.

Thats so nice - they would never let us do that at our school. I pretty much have to wear a tux to school everyday

I wish Pacific allowed students wearing scrubs. I understand that they want their students to look professional, but shirt/tie/slacks everyday is definitely not for me.

kendo, i'm the same, i hate wearing a "professional" outfit everyday.

that's why i pushed so hard to get the scrubs approved. my dry cleaning bill was going through the roof and i am so over trying to put together a sharp outfit, only to cover it with a massive clinical gown all day anyway... what's the point!?!?

so anyone else? does anyone know of a program that won't allow the scrubs outside the hospital? i hope i can honestly say to him that I haven't found a single program that restricts the scrubs like that.

We're required to wear scrubs all the time. And yes, just like wearing pj's...it's the whole reason I chose this profession.

Yeah! Kidda fun wearing scrubs everyday especially if you go to teetee bars with your dental friends after school in scrubs. ;););)

The reason why it's acceptable to wear scrubs around BU is because..atleast at BU, scrubs aren't considered PPE (Personal protective equipment). So, we are allowed to come and go in scrubs because the school requires yellow gowns to be worn over scrubs during clinic. Does this mean my scrubs aren't soiled...definitely not, there are times during rotations on OS that my scrubs were visibly bloody and I took the bus home. However, the crap that's on the buses are probably way more dirty than the crap I get on my scrubs from patients. So the scrubs protect me on my way home. ;)
We stand by clnical gowns as PPE and this satisfies why we can wear scrubs in areas that would be perceived as un-hygenic.

I think wearing professional attire everyday would suck...i mean it's nice to see and looks professional...however, this poor student can't afford the dry cleaning bills and I wouldn't want crap getting on my nice clothes. Oh, plus I'v gained about 30lbs since entering dental school...nothing fits.

So BU is pretty come and go as u please. Good luck with your clnic coordinator

I see dental and medical students at Pitt wearing their scrubs outside of the schools ALL the time. And also on public transportation! That's pretty much how you tell who is a dental/med student.

We are required to wear scrubs all day long. I even go out to dinner in my scrubs. In fact, there is a Mexican place down the road form our school and in the evening, you could find half of the customers in scrubs.

We wear lab gowns/clinical gowns over our scrubs.

scrubs from 8-5 for us.

Yep. as long as you dont wear sandals your good. its nice wearing my scrubs to and from school. then to the hospital, they stop carding you if you wear scrubs.