SCS in the setting of DBS, any issues...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jcm800

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a wonderful elderly patient who has parkinsons and is doing great with DBS put in like 4 years ago.

She has terrible radicular pain, scoliotic, crooked, narrowed. Just looks bad, multiple levels of badness...
She doesnt want surgery, previously ESIs helped for 6 months at a time, now they do nothing, 4 years later.

Is there any issues with using a St. Jude SCS with a DBS (its a medtronic, to my knowlege the only ones that do it...)

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I have a wonderful elderly patient who has parkinsons and is doing great with DBS put in like 4 years ago.

She has terrible radicular pain, scoliotic, crooked, narrowed. Just looks bad, multiple levels of badness...
She doesnt want surgery, previously ESIs helped for 6 months at a time, now they do nothing, 4 years later.

Is there any issues with using a St. Jude SCS with a DBS (its a medtronic, to my knowlege the only ones that do it...)

thanks

Only that the wires will be impossible to drive up that Diagon Alley.

Members don't see this ad :)
Only that the wires will be impossible to drive up that Diagon Alley.

Old crappy spine. Difficult lead advancement and cord topography will not match fluoro anatomy.

That's all i see... That can be dealt with, if it doesn't work or cant get good stimulation is one thing, I just wanna make sure it's ok to try...

thanks

Boston makes DBS also.