SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Scumbag Steve's Ultimate Guide to the 2017 Application Cycle (and the universe)

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Scumbag_Steve, May 2, 2016.

1. forensicDr

forensicDr 2+ Year Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Is it too late to apply for 2017 cycle now?

x0jessmariex3 likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. schmoob

schmoob Moderator 2+ Year Member

Mar 26, 2015
    If it's ready to go, no. If you're just starting the process, yes.

Meeza likes this.
  4. forensicDr

forensicDr 2+ Year Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Thnx

Sent from my SM-N920T using SDN mobile

5. journeyofhope2017

journeyofhope2017

Sep 13, 2016
    How bad are student loans actually? Is Columbia worth 400K+ or will my state school get me to the same place in life that I want to be at?

6. Scumbag_Steve

Scumbag_Steve 2+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Try to avoid them as best you can. People have discussed and will discuss this topic ad nauseam so there's no real point in getting into it here, but UAB Dental and Columbia will get you to the same place in life if you are a hard working person who cares about their patients and their family/hobbies. It will also do it for less than half the price.

Likkriue and schmoob like this.
  7. Incis0r

Incis0r I LOVE Dental School 2+ Year Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Alterac Valley
    I just can't get over how beautiful this quote is. 10/10.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  8. Ashish

Ashish 2+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2015
    They say navy suit with brown Johnson and murphy's is the way to go right now lol

journeyofhope2017 likes this.
  9. Meeza

Meeza SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Do some schools just never contact unsuccessful applicants? Have not yet received rejections (or anything since supplementals) from Pitt, Penn, or Mich and am unsure if I should wait or just throw down my deposit. Curious if anyone else has experience eternal limbo by these schools?

10. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    Penn is still giving out interviews.

Not sure about mich or Pitt.

Meeza likes this.
  11. anoda013

anoda013 GPA-DREAMFIGHTER 2+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2013
    MIAMI FLORIDA
    Great post

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

12. Rekker

Rekker 2+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2014
    If you haven't heard anything then you're still under consideration. I know BU never lets you know tho, they just let the clock run out on you.

ssdent18, Keklel and Meeza like this.
  13. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    I know a few who haven't heard back and they are finishing up their residency lol.

14. Meeza

Meeza SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Dang, so cold lol

15. schmoob

schmoob Moderator 2+ Year Member

Mar 26, 2015
    If you are holding acceptances, I would wait another week or so and drop you deposit on the school you've received an offer from. If you receive an offer from your top choice later on, the worst that happens is you lose your deposit. If you don't do that, you are risking losing your seat and not getting offers later in the cycle.
    Keep in mind, many people will do this. More seats will open up.

uhds, Meeza and htdt like this.
  16. htdt

htdt 5+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2012
    That's what I plan to do: wait for another week and pay the $1000 deposit to a school. $1000 is not a small amount of money for me, but I still have another interview in Jan and if I get accepted I'll be more than happy to lose my $1000 deposit.

P.S: A few schools that I still heard nothing from are Pitt and BU.

17. rayeray

rayeray 2+ Year Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Hi! This is amazing stuff!!

Do you know by any chance the Canadian friendly school? How much itll be? which ones accept the Canadian DAT?

Thanks

18. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    Most private schools UDM NYU BU etc etc and 400k+.

19. DOC YANKEM

DOC YANKEM

Jan 25, 2017
    School Library
    A bit outdated, but very useful nonetheless for 2014-2015. I hope there is a recent spreadsheet released by ADEA for last year.

Attached Files:

Scumbag_Steve likes this.
  20. Samin23

Samin23 2+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Hey @Scumbag_Steve, will there be a new Guide made for the 2018 cycle or will this one be sufficient?

Thanks for sharing this, btw!

21. Scumbag_Steve

Sep 30, 2013
    Despite the numbers in the link being one year more outdated, I think the guide should still stand. Whenever more current ADEA info is published I can just replace the link!

x0jessmariex3 and Keklel like this.
  22. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    You could always revise it and make a new thread for 2018 and have a moderator pin the new one. But who are we kidding, you are probably loaded with stuff to do at Uconn lol.

23. Scumbag_Steve

Sep 30, 2013
    Chances for me re-doing that post before I graduate are literally zero lol

x0jessmariex3 and Likkriue like this.
  24. lifecycle

lifecycle 2+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2015
    :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  25. lizzyybethhh

lizzyybethhh 2+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Prepare for the stupid questions...

I am in the process, maybe, of a career change.

From veterinary medicine to dentistry...
    I cannot seem to understand the application process, from looking at VCU's application page. Is it a year long process basically or longer? Can someone talk to me like I'm a toddler, maybe I'll understand then. It's hard to be so on the path to one career and then abruptly switch.

26. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    I think the courses you take for science classes is the same for vet school med school and dental school. Look up the pre reqs you may be missing for VCU. That is the most time consuming part, taking courses. Next you have to start studying for the DAT which can take 1 month to 3 months depending on how fast you learn. And then of course you need to start shadowing a dentist/dentists to see what dentistry is really about. It is a year long process if you commit to it. I would suggest preparing right away for the 2019 cycle. The 2018 cycle starts in 4 months and who knows what classes you may be missing.

this is assuming you have a stellar gpa.

27. lizzyybethhh

Dec 21, 2014
    All my pre-reqs are finished. Just need the DAT.

What I'm asking is about the actual application. For vet school you submit in September, get interviews and know by April to start in August. Is this the same with dental applications?

28. DOC YANKEM

DOC YANKEM

Jan 25, 2017
    School Library
    Aadsas portal opens June 1. It is rolling admission so the earlier you apply, the earlier you receive an interview and an acceptance. The general consensus is you should apply before August for the first batch. The earliest you will get an acceptance is December 1. Acceptances given between December 1 and February 1, you have 30 days to submit your deposit. Acceptances between February 1 and May 1 have 15 days to submit the deposit. Some schools require one deposit, where as others require 2 payments. Most schools finish interviewing in February and March. April 1 is when schools figure out who is holding multiple seats amd can take the acceptance offer back. Acceptances after May 1, schools can request your decision on the spot in order to fill up their seats as soon as possible. Classes can start at soon as August, each school is different so do your research wisely.

29. Fets

Fets D1 Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Michigan even starts June 26th. I wonder if anywhere else starts sooner than that?

30. lizzyybethhh

Dec 21, 2014
    Oh that's awesome. Thanks!

31. 0rgansm

0rgansm

Apr 30, 2016
    How exactly does submitting LORs work? When I open the application on June 1st, will there be a section that I have to fill out with my writers information & upload the LOR for them?

32. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    No they upload it. But if you are using inter folio I don't know, I didn't use that.

33. Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Fhloston Paradise
    I know I'm 5 months late but seriously reading that quote just know when it is all said and done made me feel fuzzy inside

34. smile matters

smile matters

Jan 18, 2017
    Do W's count as a F? I keep hearing both sides. Some say they don't count towards your GPA and some say it's an F.
    I also don't want to retake the class I took a W in because I have other choices and because it's a lab it gets filled up really fast. Is it okay if I take another lab?

35. spressomfs

spressomfs 2+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2015
    Colorado
    Opinions on glasses for interviews?? Also- sunglasses in a sunny city for outside? Is that a good idea or does nobody really do that

36. Fets

Fets D1 Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Doesn't matter whether you wear glasses or not. As for sunglasses, if it's an outside tour during the interview, I probably wouldn't wear them myself. I'd feel like I was trying to be incognito or something. Doesn't matter ultimately.

Just don't wear sunglasses during your interview. Or do, and let us know how confused and uncomfortable the interviewers were.

spressomfs likes this.
  37. spressomfs

spressomfs 2+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2015
    Colorado
    Wearing them inside could be a potential power move. Updates to come

Fets likes this.
  38. OntheCusp2016

OntheCusp2016

Mar 4, 2016
    Hey @Scumbag_Steve, it has been almost a year since your awesome guide was published. I am sure you are extremely busy, but you have no idea how cool it would be if you made a Guide to D1 for those of us about to start. Even if it were an abridged version, I'm sure it would be full of useful insights!!!
    Thx!!

39. SableFire

SableFire D2 2+ Year Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Minnesota
    I'll start...

Buy a 28 pill organizer like this. It will be helpful for holding extra typodont teeth. Our typodonts don't have third molars so we only need 28 slots to hold the 28 different teeth.
    Get a computer that you can take handwritten notes on (if that's your style). I use the surface pro 3 but there are plenty of other good options out there.
    Don't buy books. I haven't bought a single book yet and have still maintained a High GPA. I will probably be buying our prosthodontic book for reference though.
    Don't pre-study. Enjoy your time off.
    If you have to work before school try to give yourself at least a 1 or 2 before school starts where you don't work. I gave myself 2 weeks off and it was great.

I can add more as I think of them. Currently just about to begin finals week and procrastinating studying.

Faefly, polo01, uhds and 4 others like this.
  40. Scumbag_Steve

Sep 30, 2013
    After the school year is over I will do my best! It really differs a lot from school to school however, so my advice wouldn't be applicable to everyone. I'll still try!

41. GoHawks18

GoHawks18 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor Classifieds Approved

Mar 31, 2017
    I wonder if anyone can clarify some of the statistics provided on Doc Toothache's Tables from the 2015-2016 ADEA Official Guide to Dental Schools.
    I am trying to create my list of schools and have a few questions.
    1) Is OOS status revelant for both public and private schools? It appears to be important, but I can't understand the bias if one is applying to private schools.
    2) Looking at BU's data, for example, 5% OOS are accepted but the OOS enrollee's make up 58% of the class. Is the Percentage of Enrollee's table the more valuable as I consider my chances?
    3) As I make a table for COA (I have the new ADEA Guide), I can see big differences in the data provided by each school for Instruments/Books/ Supplies and Estimated Living Expenses. Are either of these categories discretionary to a some extent, meaning I should compare tuition costs alone? In some cases the schools show dramatic swings in all categories of costs from year to year which is confusing. For example, at UNC, tuition and fees for D4 non-residents drops $18K from D1. What part of the COA do you feel I should compare?
    4) No related to data, but a general question. It is impossible to do campus visits all over the country prior to applying, yet the comon advice is to apply to schools where you could see your self living for the next fours years. How can one make this assessment? Other than general assumptions based on weather or big city/suburban/rural, what has helped you choose?

42. WheatLom

WheatLom

Jul 6, 2016

1) Some schools are relevant(ish). Marquette, takes 50 IS and 50 OOS, I know MWU-IL stats show that IS students usually get in like 80% of the time once interviewed.

2) You should use the OOS interviewed/OOS applied for initial chances, but also OOS Interviewed Accepted/ OOS interviewed as the stat if you do get an interview.

3) I would look at instrument fees on top of tuition and COL. Some schools say you need about 20k for room and board, but with room mates and the right place you can do with about half/three quarters that (they also tell us this at the interview). From when I applied, most fees and instruments go down over the 4 years.

4) YOUTUBE, YOUTUBE, YOUTUBE. There are many videos of each school from either the actual school or their ASDA. You can get a good feel of the culture through the videos. Also, see if staff are involved in the asda parodies was a good sign for me. I took away that the staff enjoyed interacting with their students. Some schools do not have a clue to what their student's attitudes are. I literally asked the schools during interview and they didn't know how their students felt about the school or if they even enjoy the curriculum and learning process. The ASDA videos for my school were a big factor cause I saw that they had fun, while also knowing they are in a serious profession. We must be realistic, YES dentistry is very serious, but why can't we have fun and laugh. Some schools dont understand that.

I knew I wanted to be closer to my home town and also just be in a city where there was stuff to do. Being out in a state where there was some things to do but not on demand made me miss having a faster paced life.

I also looked deep into each school's mission and their curriculum. Which is important, because you want to try and match learning styles and in my case the desire for a clinic heavy curriculum with a lot of opportunity to practice and hone in on skills.

hotandsoursoup, polo01, uhds and 3 others like this.
  43. sosocoolkid

sosocoolkid

Nov 9, 2015
    I will definitely use this guide to study for the DAT. Thank you and best wishes to everyone!

44. predent2151

predent2151

Dec 5, 2016
    No Ws are not calculated in the GPA, they show up as a W. A pattern of Ws appears as if your protecting your GPA but a sole W, especially in a lab, won't raise any eyebrows especially if you have a reason for it.

45. uhds

uhds 2+ Year Member

May 14, 2014
    I took a summer course and the grades are now official. I already submitted my app and my past grades are verified. Would I be able to update my summer grades if I send in my transcript?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  46. AZTennisPlayer24

AZTennisPlayer24 Probationary Status

Sep 27, 2017
    Thank you so much! this was awesome and so helpful!

47. KKUO

KKUO

Feb 28, 2017
    Hey So I took my DAT. TS 23, AA 21, Bio 21, Chem 25, Ochem 24, PAT 21, QR 21 but my RC is 15....this is not a chance me but do you guys think I should retake it because of that 15? This is my second time and my first RC was 17. I saw the data for average DAT (mainly TS,AA, PAT) of Each school's but there's nothing about RC... :(

AZTennisPlayer24 likes this.
  48. Dentalco2020

Dentalco2020

Oct 19, 2016
    don't retake. just call the schools and confirm they are ok.

49. Cluubias2

Cluubias2 5+ Year Member

Jan 7, 2013
    I've created a spreadsheet with the averages for enrolled students at US schools. It's color coded and you can organize it using the drop down menus.

Attached Files:

50. Ashley985

Ashley985 Banned Banned

Nov 25, 2017