Scumbag Steve's Ultimate Guide to the 2017 Application Cycle (and the universe)

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Scumbag_Steve, May 2, 2016.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. schmoob

schmoob SDN Moderator 2+ Year Member

Mar 26, 2015
    Eh, I couldn't do it alone. If it wasn't for my wife I doubt I would be where I was. There is so much to do; the logistics are mind-boggling.
    Now we have to couch-surf with family for a few weeks until our lease starts.
    Are you going to live near school? It's so expensive in the city! Or are you considering finding a cheaper place like in Queens or Jersey? If you haven't yet, check out Streeteasy. The apartment fees to move into a place are outrageous. 1 month fee plus 1.5 month security deposit plus first months rent is like $8K-10K up front!

fayevalentine likes this.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. nateriver

nateriver SDN Silver Donor Silver Donor 2+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Wow lucky you have that amazing support ! Yeah me and my roommate wanna live close to the school , we've been literally living on street easy and apartment hunting in order to try and avoid the realtor fee cause they wanna be paid 2 months rent, its crazy, but the apartments flip so fast , if you find a place you gotta jump on it, but were just now gonna be able to start signing leases for the month of august so we should have an idea of where we will be within the next week or two, when do you start classes?

4. JLT223

JLT223 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2015
    You haven't found housing yet?

Edit: just read the above post that didn't load

nateriver likes this.
  5. schmoob

Mar 26, 2015
    Living close to school is the way to go I hear, especially the first 2 years. And those fees are outrageous! I'm glad you have a roommate to split the expenses with. Stay on top of it and I'm sure you'll find something.
    Orientation starts the last week of August. I already got myself a sweet new Mac :)

nateriver likes this.
  6. nateriver

nateriver SDN Silver Donor Silver Donor 2+ Year Member

Aug 6, 2013
    Nice ! I was gonna get a new Mac but I think mines good for now lol, and yeah couldn't do it without a roommate . Lucky ! My orientation starts mid August lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

7. dentist_dude

dentist_dude

Dec 22, 2015
    Do you list the class as incomplete if you received a W and do you listed as Repeated course when you take it again?

8. dentist_dude

dentist_dude

Dec 22, 2015
    Do you list the Merit/Trustee scholarship that you started receiving when you got accepted to college under awards and do I list it for every semester that I got it

9. Meeza

Meeza SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Looking for a little advice please.

I'm considering leaving a section blank ("N/A"), but am unsure if I should try to add some fluff about myself. Any academic blemishes, etc. have already been discussed in my AADSAS. Basically, I don't want to look careless by leaving it blank yet don't want to look silly by writing something useless.

For UAB's supplemental:
    "(20) Please state if there is anything of particular importance that the Admissions Committee should know about you."

10. JLT223

JLT223 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2015
    That's really not a question you want to leave blank.

schmoob likes this.
  11. ash01

ash01

Apr 28, 2016
    when did you receive the supplemental? and when was your application mailed out?

12. Meeza

Jul 25, 2014
    The supplemental was post marked June 28th and I think I had it in my hands on the 30th. My app was mailed out on June 24th. All that's changed in my life is I've gotten a new job as a server. :/ But as @JLT223 said, it's probably not something I should leave blank. So I have to decide what is of *particular importance* without being repetitive or cliche.

13. gangazi

gangazi

Feb 15, 2016
    Hi future dentists, I am in need of advice.

I received 2 letters from my chemistry professors, 1 from dentist I shadowed, and 1 from VP at the company at I volunteered.

Should I even apply to Columbia and University of Maryland?
    Columbia requires 3 letters from science faculty and Univ. of Maryland requires 1 letter from Chem professor and 1 letter from Bio professor. I was not able to get the 3rd biology letter due to personal situations (1 professor didnt care/1 professor was out of town all the semester and I couldnt build relationship lol).
    I really want to apply to Columbia and University of Maryland as I would regret in the future if I do not...
    Getting another letter is not an ideal option for me...

Is there anyone who was in a similar position as me?
    Thank you so much SDN

14. Softballchic11

Softballchic11

Jan 11, 2016
    I am in the same position as you for Maryland. The biology department at my university doesn't care about the students at all. I got the same types of letters as you and I just applied. Maryland hasn't said anything about to me since June, so I'm assuming that the letters are ok.

15. schmoob

Mar 26, 2015
    With that DAT score, find the cheapest place you can go. You have lots of options. Seriously, you killed it! Don't limit yourself.

16. dentist_dude

dentist_dude

Dec 22, 2015
    For Oklahoma University, do we have to send transcripts directly to their school? That's what it says on their website
    ""OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS
    Applications are considered incomplete until all applicable documents, including official transcripts are received by the Office of Admissions and Records. Applications are subject to immediate denial by some OUHSC programs if transcripts are not received by the application deadline. Students are advised to review and follow instructions given by the college major. "" or if we already sent them to AADSAS we should be fine

17. forensicDr

forensicDr 2+ Year Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Is it too late to apply for 2017 cycle now?

x0jessmariex3 likes this.
  18. schmoob

Mar 26, 2015
    If it's ready to go, no. If you're just starting the process, yes.

Meeza likes this.
  19. forensicDr

forensicDr 2+ Year Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Thnx

Sent from my SM-N920T using SDN mobile

20. journeyofhope2017

journeyofhope2017

Sep 13, 2016
    How bad are student loans actually? Is Columbia worth 400K+ or will my state school get me to the same place in life that I want to be at?

21. Scumbag_Steve

Scumbag_Steve 2+ Year Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Try to avoid them as best you can. People have discussed and will discuss this topic ad nauseam so there's no real point in getting into it here, but UAB Dental and Columbia will get you to the same place in life if you are a hard working person who cares about their patients and their family/hobbies. It will also do it for less than half the price.

Likkriue and schmoob like this.
  22. Incis0r

Incis0r Dental School baby! 2+ Year Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Alterac Valley
    I just can't get over how beautiful this quote is. 10/10.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  23. Ashish

Ashish 2+ Year Member

Jan 27, 2015
    They say navy suit with brown Johnson and murphy's is the way to go right now lol

journeyofhope2017 likes this.
  24. Meeza

Jul 25, 2014
    Do some schools just never contact unsuccessful applicants? Have not yet received rejections (or anything since supplementals) from Pitt, Penn, or Mich and am unsure if I should wait or just throw down my deposit. Curious if anyone else has experience eternal limbo by these schools?

25. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    Penn is still giving out interviews.

Not sure about mich or Pitt.

Meeza likes this.
  26. anoda013

anoda013 GPA-DREAMFIGHTER 2+ Year Member

Jul 16, 2013
    MIAMI FLORIDA
    Great post

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

27. Rekker

Rekker 2+ Year Member

Oct 16, 2014
    If you haven't heard anything then you're still under consideration. I know BU never lets you know tho, they just let the clock run out on you.

Keklel and Meeza like this.
  28. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    I know a few who haven't heard back and they are finishing up their residency lol.

29. Meeza

Jul 25, 2014
    Dang, so cold lol

30. schmoob

Mar 26, 2015
    If you are holding acceptances, I would wait another week or so and drop you deposit on the school you've received an offer from. If you receive an offer from your top choice later on, the worst that happens is you lose your deposit. If you don't do that, you are risking losing your seat and not getting offers later in the cycle.
    Keep in mind, many people will do this. More seats will open up.

uhds, Meeza and htdt like this.
  31. htdt

htdt 2+ Year Member

Dec 15, 2012
    That's what I plan to do: wait for another week and pay the $1000 deposit to a school. $1000 is not a small amount of money for me, but I still have another interview in Jan and if I get accepted I'll be more than happy to lose my $1000 deposit.

P.S: A few schools that I still heard nothing from are Pitt and BU.

32. rayeray

rayeray

Dec 12, 2015
    Hi! This is amazing stuff!!

Do you know by any chance the Canadian friendly school? How much itll be? which ones accept the Canadian DAT?

Thanks

33. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    Most private schools UDM NYU BU etc etc and 400k+.

34. DOC YANKEM

DOC YANKEM

Jan 25, 2017
    Parent's House
    A bit outdated, but very useful nonetheless for 2014-2015. I hope there is a recent spreadsheet released by ADEA for last year.

Attached Files:

Scumbag_Steve likes this.
  35. Samin23

Samin23 2+ Year Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Hey @Scumbag_Steve, will there be a new Guide made for the 2018 cycle or will this one be sufficient?

Thanks for sharing this, btw!

36. Scumbag_Steve

Sep 30, 2013
    Despite the numbers in the link being one year more outdated, I think the guide should still stand. Whenever more current ADEA info is published I can just replace the link!

x0jessmariex3 and Keklel like this.
  37. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    You could always revise it and make a new thread for 2018 and have a moderator pin the new one. But who are we kidding, you are probably loaded with stuff to do at Uconn lol.

38. Scumbag_Steve

Sep 30, 2013
    Chances for me re-doing that post before I graduate are literally zero lol

x0jessmariex3 and Likkriue like this.
  39. lifecycle

lifecycle 2+ Year Member

Feb 25, 2015
    :)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  40. lizzyybethhh

lizzyybethhh 2+ Year Member

Dec 21, 2014
    Prepare for the stupid questions...

I am in the process, maybe, of a career change.

From veterinary medicine to dentistry...
    I cannot seem to understand the application process, from looking at VCU's application page. Is it a year long process basically or longer? Can someone talk to me like I'm a toddler, maybe I'll understand then. It's hard to be so on the path to one career and then abruptly switch.

41. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    I think the courses you take for science classes is the same for vet school med school and dental school. Look up the pre reqs you may be missing for VCU. That is the most time consuming part, taking courses. Next you have to start studying for the DAT which can take 1 month to 3 months depending on how fast you learn. And then of course you need to start shadowing a dentist/dentists to see what dentistry is really about. It is a year long process if you commit to it. I would suggest preparing right away for the 2019 cycle. The 2018 cycle starts in 4 months and who knows what classes you may be missing.

this is assuming you have a stellar gpa.

42. lizzyybethhh

Dec 21, 2014
    All my pre-reqs are finished. Just need the DAT.

What I'm asking is about the actual application. For vet school you submit in September, get interviews and know by April to start in August. Is this the same with dental applications?

43. DOC YANKEM

DOC YANKEM

Jan 25, 2017
    Parent's House
    Aadsas portal opens June 1. It is rolling admission so the earlier you apply, the earlier you receive an interview and an acceptance. The general consensus is you should apply before August for the first batch. The earliest you will get an acceptance is December 1. Acceptances given between December 1 and February 1, you have 30 days to submit your deposit. Acceptances between February 1 and May 1 have 15 days to submit the deposit. Some schools require one deposit, where as others require 2 payments. Most schools finish interviewing in February and March. April 1 is when schools figure out who is holding multiple seats amd can take the acceptance offer back. Acceptances after May 1, schools can request your decision on the spot in order to fill up their seats as soon as possible. Classes can start at soon as August, each school is different so do your research wisely.

44. Fets

Fets 2+ Year Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Michigan even starts June 26th. I wonder if anywhere else starts sooner than that?

45. lizzyybethhh

Dec 21, 2014
    Oh that's awesome. Thanks!

46. 0rgansm

0rgansm

Apr 30, 2016
    How exactly does submitting LORs work? When I open the application on June 1st, will there be a section that I have to fill out with my writers information & upload the LOR for them?

47. Likkriue

Likkriue

Jan 30, 2016
    New York City
    No they upload it. But if you are using inter folio I don't know, I didn't use that.

48. Alpha Centauri

Alpha Centauri SDN Silver Donor Silver Donor 2+ Year Member

Mar 6, 2013
    Fhloston Paradise
    I know I'm 5 months late but seriously reading that quote just know when it is all said and done made me feel fuzzy inside

Scumbag_Steve likes this.
  49. smile matters

smile matters

Jan 18, 2017
    Do W's count as a F? I keep hearing both sides. Some say they don't count towards your GPA and some say it's an F.
    I also don't want to retake the class I took a W in because I have other choices and because it's a lab it gets filled up really fast. Is it okay if I take another lab?

50. spressomfs

spressomfs 2+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2015
    Colorado
    Opinions on glasses for interviews?? Also- sunglasses in a sunny city for outside? Is that a good idea or does nobody really do that

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

51. Fets

Fets 2+ Year Member

Jun 6, 2015
    Doesn't matter whether you wear glasses or not. As for sunglasses, if it's an outside tour during the interview, I probably wouldn't wear them myself. I'd feel like I was trying to be incognito or something. Doesn't matter ultimately.

Just don't wear sunglasses during your interview. Or do, and let us know how confused and uncomfortable the interviewers were.

spressomfs likes this.