Scutting Out Employees for Personal Chores??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
A friend in a non-health care business (owns a Title Company) has no concerns whatsoever about scutting out his employees for any personal chore (bring the kids to the dentist, take his car to get detailed, pick up groceries, let-in the plumber at the house, etc) while the employee is on the clock. His attitude is, "I own their time from 9-5 and I can have them use it any way I want."

I think doctors and dentists eschew this as it is not fair to the employee or a good use of resources. Having said that, there have been exceptional circumstances where I've asked an Admin to go get me a sandwich if I'm running behind in clinic or drop off a package at the UPS store if they're going out on errands.

Where do you think the line is?

Members don't see this ad.

Routinely asking staff to do non-business related functions sounds like a recipe for poor morale and turnover.

There's nothing wrong with having a personal assistant to free up your time, but that needs to be disclosed in advance and agreed to by the employee.

In extraordinary circumstances I might ask a staff member to do a personal task for me that can not not be done, and would otherwise take me out of the office and away from patients. But the understanding would be that it's a voluntary task. I can't see my staff members not taking advantage of an unscheduled field trip when offered!

A friend in a non-health care business (owns a Title Company) has no concerns whatsoever about scutting out his employees for any personal chore (bring the kids to the dentist, take his car to get detailed, pick up groceries, let-in the plumber at the house, etc) while the employee is on the clock. His attitude is, "I own their time from 9-5 and I can have them use it any way I want."

I think doctors and dentists eschew this as it is not fair to the employee or a good use of resources. Having said that, there have been exceptional circumstances where I've asked an Admin to go get me a sandwich if I'm running behind in clinic or drop off a package at the UPS store if they're going out on errands.

Where do you think the line is?

Reactions: 1 user
If you're in a position of power over employee you run the risk of a harassment complaint or lawsuit. More problematic in a large business/hospital/corporation with HR, but a solo/PP office is less problematic unless you fire them

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don’t own the company it can be treated as theft of time by misusing company resources for personal gain.

If you own the company you do what ever you want with the employees time as long as they are paid for it and you add “personal assistant type tasks as assigned” to the job description. I don’t think it should be illegal, but it is poor form to advertise for a dentist hygenist and have them picking up your laundry. Let them agree to those type of tasks up front,

Honestly it wouldn't even occur to me to ask this type of thing. I even do my own faxes if it's for something personal. If they're going out for coffee or lunch, if I ask them to pick up something for me, I offer to pay for everybody's. Also, though, I'm employed, so they're not technically "my" staff.

Last edited:
The HR complaint writes itself... use Taskrabbit.com or wait until your kid finishes college and moves back in with you.

Interesting views. I am very nice to my staff and they occasionally will do a chore for me but they often volunteer to help me. Yesterday I had to send a FedEx package and we don't have any deliveries scheduled soon. My MA piped up that he will be next to the FedEx office today and he can drop it off. I have asked staff to go to the market down the street to pick up something for me or the office and I don't feel that that is abusive. Then again, I am taking my staff on vacation to the Beach this Summer and that certainly wasn't in their job description either. I like my employees, appreciate them, and they know this.

Interesting views. I am very nice to my staff and they occasionally will do a chore for me but they often volunteer to help me. Yesterday I had to send a FedEx package and we don't have any deliveries scheduled soon. My MA piped up that he will be next to the FedEx office today and he can drop it off. I have asked staff to go to the market down the street to pick up something for me or the office and I don't feel that that is abusive. Then again, I am taking my staff on vacation to the Beach this Summer and that certainly wasn't in their job description either. I like my employees, appreciate them, and they know this.

So, where's the line? I've had my MA/scheduler/manager run little errands if they're already going to do something, but what about having them go by your house to let the dog out or order flowers for your wife's birthday, etc?

I think part of it also depends upon how much your employees cost you. Maybe it's feasible for a lower payscale employee to do some "other duties as assigned," but are you going to send out your $20/hr MA?

So, where's the line? I've had my MA/scheduler/manager run little errands if they're already going to do something, but what about having them go by your house to let the dog out or order flowers for your wife's birthday, etc?

I think part of it also depends upon how much your employees cost you. Maybe it's feasible for a lower payscale employee to do some "other duties as assigned," but are you going to send out your $20/hr MA?
If you hired someone for a certain job with a certain job description, you are on thin ice asking them to do anything that is CLEARLY outside of that scope. If it's still in the professional realm, like you ask an RN to clean the bathroom in the office, it's one thing. But PERSONAL chores, I think could be construed as unprofessional or taking advantage of an employee. I can totally imagine this coming up in an unemployment claim or wrongful termination claim.

OTOH, if you put it in the job description, "assist with personal business, such as running errands, scheduling personal appointments", you are completely golden. I doubt "other assigned duties" is sufficient.

You could sit down with staff and say you're gonna create a new position and eliminate the current one, if anyone is interested...

In your example of the guy with the title business, I would bet he has this in his job description. I don't think it has anything to do with the healthcare business, other than we have a lot of entitled RNs and other certificate holders in our midst. Most staff members I know would consider me asking a personal favor from them to be a slap on the face. They all feel like they don't have to work and they are doing everyone a big favor by blessing us with their presence.

I think in the old days, personal favors were completely normal and I know in other countries, it's commonplace. Workers are trying to prove their loyalty and reliability. Not here though.

I know for a fact that in CA if your employee is injured while working your work comp has to pick up the tab. Any work including driving and breaks. Usually lunch while off the clock is not work (employee trips while having lunch off site is not work-related injury) but on the clock and breaks qualify as work related injury. If your MA is rear ended while dropping off your mail its now caused by work/employment.

I had a slow clinic day and wanted ice cream so I gave my MA $20 to buy us all ice cream. Everybody wins. I probably wouldn’t do more than that. Certainly I wouldn’t want to generate “guess what my boss made me do” gossip.

Also $16/hr is not enough for anyone to own anyone’s time...

I think if it is a task that keeps the doctor going, it is reasonable to ask. Examples such as grabbing lunch, a coffee, running to the bank or other businesses that are otherwise inaccessible by a doctor during typical business hours are reasonable.

Members don't see this ad :)
what about washing and walking dog?

See...get's to be a grey area...:)

I fall in line with Ligament--I think if it's a focused "ask" and keeps the doctor "on-task" then it's reasonable. What about baby-sitting? When our kids were younger, both my partner and I had admin staff watch our kids for a couple of hours a time if we had a meeting at the hospital or something. Over the line?

Last edited:
Okay, here's a twist: Kid is doing a school athletics fundraiser and wants to sell candy bars to the employees. I say, "fine." Wife says, "no" because it puts too pressure on employees to buy the candy bar and since you pay them so little...

Do you let your kid peddle her candy bars in the break room or not?

Okay, here's a twist: Kid is doing a school athletics fundraiser and wants to sell candy bars to the employees. I say, "fine." Wife says, "no" because it puts too pressure on employees to buy the candy bar and since you pay them so little...

No, you buy them all

No, not if you’re the boss

I do put out girls scout cookies ads since they are not readily available, in the break room so hopefully there is less pressure to buy.

I won't even ask my nurse to grab me a cup of coffee even if she is heading to the break room. I feel like once I break that barrier it will lead to places I don't want to go. What starts as, "...sorry can you grab me some coffee while you're in there" leads to "...do you mind picking up something for my wife's birthday? I'll pay you back..."

Eh, I'm one for not scutting employees or crossing lines, but I don't go that far. I feel that, if she's not engaged in something more important, patient related, getting me a cup of coffee from the break room while I work on notes or see the next patient falls within my MA's designated task of assisting with patient care.

Does anyone have an actual personal assistant, whose job it is to do these things? That would be pretty awesome.

We had a real life PA/Nanny that we pay $20 per hour and used on a part time basis, but then she went back to school...I hate it when people want to better themselves. I've also used a virtual online PA who I outsource various tasks to (procuring gifts for special occasions, restaurant reservations, travel itineraries, screening email and social media while on vacation, etc).

Last edited:
We had a real life PA/Nanny that we pay $20 per hour and used on a part time basis, but then she went back to school...I hate it when people want to better themselves. I've also used a virtual online PA who I outsource various tasks to (procuring gifts for special occasions, restaurant reservations, travel itineraries, screening email and social media while on vacation, etc).
How weird would it be for a single guy with no kids to hire a nanny?

I want someone to cook, clean, take care of the pets that I impulsively buy, and coordinate my personal/professional life...

How weird would it be for a single guy with no kids to hire a nanny?

I want someone to cook, clean, take care of the pets that I impulsively buy, and coordinate my personal/professional life...

Sounds like you need a 1950s-era wife.

Reactions: 1 users