SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Scutwork and cleaning up other people's bodily fluids...

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by MacGyver, Aug 12, 2002.

1. MacGyver

MacGyver Banned Banned

Aug 8, 2001
    I've heard some nasty horror stories that may be untrue regarding how med students/residents and even fully trained doctors are expected to clean up their patients and handle their bodily fluids in non-medical ways.

For example, are med students/residents told to wash or clean up homeless patients? I thought nurses usually did that stuff. Is that common practice or does it just happen once in a great while if there happens to be no nurses on the floor?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Firebird

Firebird 1K Member 10+ Year Member

Mar 15, 2001
    Your signature quote is scary.

4. kenfused

kenfused Senior Member Partner Organization 7+ Year Member

Jun 24, 2002
    SDN Partner
    I'm not sure what you mean by handling bodily fluids in "non-medical ways", but that sounds scary to me!

I'd say cleaning wounds and stuff is ok, but hopefully you won't have to be cleaning other things/ Urine/Stool, is pretty nasty!!

5. Winged Scapula

Winged Scapula Cougariffic! Staff Member Administrator Physician Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Apr 9, 2000
    hSDN Member
    Well if it soothes you any, I have NEVER been asked or told, or even expected to clean up patients/homeless people, etc. Matter of fact, nurses are often suprised when I clean up after myself (for example, when looking at a wound, removing a chest tube, doing a bedside procedure), often attributing it to my femaleness.

If a patient has a messy BM when I'm in the room, we call the nurse - never once has someone said (at least in our presence) that we should have cleaned them up, or asked a medical student to stay. I HAVE helped clean up a patient vomiting in the Trauma Bay or CT scanner, but to be part of the team, not because I was asked or made to.