Scutwork and cleaning up other people's bodily fluids...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MacGyver

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard some nasty horror stories that may be untrue regarding how med students/residents and even fully trained doctors are expected to clean up their patients and handle their bodily fluids in non-medical ways.

For example, are med students/residents told to wash or clean up homeless patients? I thought nurses usually did that stuff. Is that common practice or does it just happen once in a great while if there happens to be no nurses on the floor?

Members don't see this ad.

Your signature quote is scary.

I'm not sure what you mean by handling bodily fluids in "non-medical ways", but that sounds scary to me!

I'd say cleaning wounds and stuff is ok, but hopefully you won't have to be cleaning other things/ Urine/Stool, is pretty nasty!!

Well if it soothes you any, I have NEVER been asked or told, or even expected to clean up patients/homeless people, etc. Matter of fact, nurses are often suprised when I clean up after myself (for example, when looking at a wound, removing a chest tube, doing a bedside procedure), often attributing it to my femaleness.

If a patient has a messy BM when I'm in the room, we call the nurse - never once has someone said (at least in our presence) that we should have cleaned them up, or asked a medical student to stay. I HAVE helped clean up a patient vomiting in the Trauma Bay or CT scanner, but to be part of the team, not because I was asked or made to.