scutwork.com and away rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vtucci

Attending in Emergency Medicine
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone.

After looking at some of the programs on scutwork.com, I noticed that many EM programs have not been reviewed by 4th years or residents recently. As many programs constantly try to improve or change their curriculum, it would be helpful for those of us coming up and thinking about away rotations if you could post your thoughts about where you have rotated (or your home programs). This could be a great resource for med students.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think a lot of people have submitted reviews, but whoever is running scutwork is not updating the site. Its a shame because its such a good resource.

That really is unfortunate. Thanks for letting me know.

Maybe could post reviews of EM rotations here then? Maybe Quinn or one of the other moderators could establish a system for people to post anonymously.

Happy Holidays all!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It'd be great if SDN would have its own residency review section, organized by specialty, and then region. Scutwork is great, but many of the reviews are out of date, and not accurate.

Check out the "resident interviews" section on nemsin.com. Not comprehensive, but probably more up to date.

Check out the "resident interviews" section on nemsin.com. Not comprehensive, but probably more up to date.

I have either rotated or interviewed with observation time at some of these programs. Since these interviews are not anonymous, I would take these with a grain of salt. It is a good way to learn about about the hard facts about the program (curriculum, elective time, education funding) but some of the information concering how well the program is respected in the hospital and the happiness of the residents is a bit creative. Obviously during the interview lunch and dinner, the happy residents self select for these positions, much like the nemsin.com website. I have met many of these residents on the trail and they are the cheifs and are obviously invested into their programs (which mostly are good programs). Most of the reviews show happy residents who work hard and play hard, but I have met some really miserable residents and have seen some politically weak programs.

yeah, it is kind of frustrating because that used to be a great source of information and easier to find specific reviews than the thread here. hopefully they will get it straightened out. the lack of update is making it difficult to figure out which programs are worth the travel time if you don't know someone who has been there...we need more people to review places here as well!

i remember using (and contributing) to the med school interview here on SDN back in the day. it would be nice to have that format for EM residency interview feedback--anonymous, specific details about the program and the interview day organized to be searched by program without having to filter through many posts on a long thread.

does anyone know of any other reviews that are useful?

In the works.

So is this actually going to happen? I see this post was a year and a half ago... There's a residency interview feedback section under "Databases" but not only is it pretty much empty, it doesn't include reviews of residents actually in a particular program.