sdn, here's my life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

emma92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello sdn,
This is my first post so please be nice! I have known that I have wanted to be a doctor since I could remember but unfortunately I was not raised with the loving mentality of "you can do anything you set your mind to" coming from a blue collar family the most they expected from me/anyone was to be a cop. growing up I had a difficult time in school (mostly due to rebellion). I graduated high school with a 3.0 gpa and a 1950 SAT score. I got accepted to my local university but due to lack of funds/ unsupportive family members (I got kicked out at 17) / diagnosis of RA kept me from going. eventually, after I got myself a job and a place to live I enrolled into a near by community college. I finished one semester and started second semester but ended up taking 3 w's due to my declining health. I now have my RA under control and I am now re-starting my pursuit into medicine. I have re-enrolled into a different community college which has more classes available and I am getting my certification as an EKG tech next month. with the job I have now in luxury retail I have met several doctors and they have offered to let me shadow them but I feel weird doing so since I'm not in school at the moment. I am very, very determined but I am completely on my own with no support team.

I need help.
my biggest concern is my ra. will this be a huge issue later on when I am applying for med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I've had students with RA and other chronic illnesses, so it shouldn't be a problem. Talk to your doctor or rheumatologist if they think you can handle medical school. There are physical standards that you do have to have to be a doctor, but I suspect that you're OK for that.

hello sdn,
This is my first post so please be nice! I have known that I have wanted to be a doctor since I could remember but unfortunately I was not raised with the loving mentality of "you can do anything you set your mind to" coming from a blue collar family the most they expected from me/anyone was to be a cop. growing up I had a difficult time in school (mostly due to rebellion). I graduated high school with a 3.0 gpa and a 1950 SAT score. I got accepted to my local university but due to lack of funds/ unsupportive family members (I got kicked out at 17) / diagnosis of RA kept me from going. eventually, after I got myself a job and a place to live I enrolled into a near by community college. I finished one semester and started second semester but ended up taking 3 w's due to my declining health. I now have my RA under control and I am now re-starting my pursuit into medicine. I have re-enrolled into a different community college which has more classes available and I am getting my certification as an EKG tech next month. with the job I have now in luxury retail I have met several doctors and they have offered to let me shadow them but I feel weird doing so since I'm not in school at the moment. I am very, very determined but I am completely on my own with no support team.

I need help.
my biggest concern is my ra. will this be a huge issue later on when I am applying for med school?

I've had students with RA and other chronic illnesses, so it shouldn't be a problem. Talk to your doctor or rheumatologist if they think you can handle medical school. There are physical standards that you do have to have to be a doctor, but I suspect that you're OK for that.

thank you for replying! I am okay with the physical standards that comes along with being a doctor. I currently have a very physically demanding job. the only time I really have issues is when I get really sick or when I don't stick to my diet. My doctor has been very supportive with my decision to pursue medical school.

when I turned 18 I tried to join the Air Force and they rejected me because of my condition.
I guess worrying about not being accepted to med school due to my RA is silly?