SDN Merchandise: Would you buy some?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you purchase SDN merchandise?

• T-shirt

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • Bumper sticker or decal

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Other: please post what you'd like to see made available and how much you'd like to pay.

Votes: 19 41.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guero

2QT2Bcis Plaidapus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I contacted the SDN administrators about selling t-shirts a while ago and didn't have time to follow-up. Now that I've been accepted and know where I'm going, I have the time. I was wondering how many of you would be interested in definitely purchasing a t-shirt for about $25-$30 and other merchandise to see if it'd be a worthwhile investment for both SDN and me.

Thanks for voting!

Members don't see this ad.

$30 for a Tshirt?

U srs brah?

Members don't see this ad :)
Meh I think most people like to be secretive about their usage of SDN... I assume that like 90% of serious premeds use this site, but I think maybe 5% would ever admit it publicly. Fewer than that would ever spend $25 for a tshirt.

I'd rather be a non-lifter caught in a misc singlet than a medical student caught in an SDN shirt.

Oh not at all.

It's pretty crazy how much info people have up on the web--and putting an SDN logo on my car or wearing a shirt--only provides more info to others on what I do.

This is the same reason why I don't put a reddit Alien on my car---it allows people to ID me.

I'd buy something poking fun at SDN

I'm not sure if I would want to advertise the fact that I'm on SDN. I feel like some people would want to punch me in the face.

I contacted the SDN administrators about selling t-shirts a while ago and didn't have time to follow-up. Now that I've been accepted and know where I'm going, I have the time. I was wondering how many of you would be interested in definitely purchasing a t-shirt for about $25-$30 and other merchandise to see if it'd be a worthwhile investment for both SDN and me.

Thanks for voting!

It's really tempting. Unfortunately, i'm under cover in real life, so I can't advertise myself that i'm on SDN.

$25-30 for a t-shirt is quite steep. Wholesale t-shirts are cheap and screen printing isn't all that expensive either, so if you said 50% of that would go back to support SDN, I would be down to buy a shirt. It would be a real life badge for my support... and maybe we could get a t-shirt badge to show our support on the forums :D

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't go for a t-shirt or decal, but I'd go for a mug.

I'd also probably buy a mug or a keychain or something. Perhaps a t-shirt if the price is right. Only after I am accepted though. I think I'd feel pretty dumb using all this stuff if I don't get into medical school.

Perhaps lifetime donors could have a discount on the stuff or something.

Even though I have way more mugs than I need, I definitely go for an SDN mug ;).

I will never pay more than 10 dollars for a t-shirt. However, if it is a kick-ass trucker hat, then yes, I would by one.

Looking fresh in a T-shirt made by SDN, with my handle on the back? #lapresse :naughty:

That would be great, except that my use of SDN is not publicly known. I'd rather keep it that way.

I'd be down with a T for like 10-15 bucks. Gotta say something funny on it tho. I'm a fan of the SDN is a box of chocolate filled w/cobras quote.

I'd be down with a T for like 10-15 bucks. Gotta say something funny on it tho. I'm a fan of the SDN is a box of chocolate filled w/cobras quote.

Lol, I missed this quote but it sounds pretty great. I like the idea of a mug or thermos but probably wouldn't go for one since I already have too many of both :p

Good luck getting people to buy merchandise when most kids pretend that they've never heard of this site. Ever been to an interview where someone brings it up? :lame: "Oh I think I've heard of that place, never used it though."

+1. I think a shirt with funny quotes that are classic on SDN could be cool; like the poop hog dog...

how about an SDN shot glass or pint glass??

+1. I think a shirt with funny quotes that are classic on SDN could be cool; like the poop hog dog...
Unfortunately, they feel something like that is inappropriate. The funniest they'll do is along the lines of, "I'm not a doctor, but I play one in school."

Ill take a tshirt that says

"GPA?
MCAT?"

on the front in big bold letters. Thanks

I want an SDN jersey with my SDN name on the back and my MCAT score as the number :D.

You need to have a no option. You won't know what proportion of SDN people don't want T shirts.

I'd only rock a tank top (15 or less).. and even then it's a 33% chance at best I'd buy one.

Best of luck to you as you comb interest.

You need to have a no option. You won't know what proportion of SDN people don't want T shirts.
Well, there were more options than just a t-shirt and several people have commented that they wouldn't buy a t-shirt. A no option is kind of assumed, but not counted. But it definitely wouldd've been a good idea to include a "wouldn't purchase anything" option... Too bad I can't edit the poll. =/

I will never pay more than 10 dollars for a t-shirt. However, if it is a kick-ass trucker hat, then yes, I would by one.

Would drop $15 on a trucker hat that says "Chance me pls. 3.98 gpa/38 mcat"

Prob 75% of premeds have used SDN at some point whether as a member or lurker (hell, pretty much every google search brings you here). I bet that less than 5% of those users would be willing to wear a SDN-related shirt...even if it was free. The site has a stigma among its premed users as being competitive and neurotic. Who would want that scarlet letter? Other users wouldn't care about being "judged", but likely don't want to advertise their "secret weapon" to their competition. It's not hard to fathom that SDN usage makes for an improved application...gunner premeds won't want to share the wealth.

I also bet that a similar percentage of med students know of/use the site. But, again, due to stigma maybe 10-15% would admit using it...let alone wear a free tshirt advertising the fact.

Change the parameters by making the tshirt cost 25 bucks and what you have is a waste of time.

If SDN wants to change its perception it needs to sponsor events at universities/med schools and build their own brand... This will not likely happen. Nevertheless, leaving it to word of mouth and premed imagination gives you what you have today: a community based largely on secrecy and paranoia.

Prob 75% of premeds have used SDN at some point whether as a member or lurker (hell, pretty much every google search brings you here). I bet that less than 5% of those users would be willing to wear a SDN-related shirt...even if it was free. The site has a stigma among its premed users as being competitive and neurotic. Who would want that scarlet letter? Other users wouldn't care about being "judged", but likely don't want to advertise their "secret weapon" to their competition. It's not hard to fathom that SDN usage makes for an improved application...gunner premeds won't want to share the wealth.

I also bet that a similar percentage of med students know of/use the site. But, again, due to stigma maybe 10-15% would admit using it...let alone wear a free tshirt advertising the fact.

Change the parameters by making the tshirt cost 25 bucks and what you have is a waste of time.

If SDN wants to change its perception it needs to sponsor events at universities/med schools and build their own brand... This will not likely happen. Nevertheless, leaving it to word of mouth and premed imagination gives you what you have today: a community based largely on secrecy and paranoia.

Well said sir.

Here's the problem with t-shirts. I have met a lot of people either interviewing or currently in medical school. Everyone has the same universal reply when you ask about SDN: "Yeah I check the site out, but I don't have an account."

I think that the moderators and some very prominent members who post regularly, like you, NickNaylor, and others would buy gear and admit that you are SDN members. Other people might be a little too neurotic...

I have yet to meet an SDN member in real life!

I've always wondered why this stigma exists, at least to the extent that it does. Great explanation Blais.

90% of SDN users are lurkers, while 10% are members. However, 90% of the members are actually lurkers asking questions for their own gain, which leaves 10% (1% of SDN users) as active contributors. Pretty unfortunate, but increasing competition leads to increasing opportunistic nature. This includes everyone (notably premeds, med students, residents and fellows).

Status
Not open for further replies.