SDN Merchandise: Would you buy some?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Would you purchase SDN merchandise?

• T-shirt

Votes: 26 56.5%
  • Bumper sticker or decal

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Other: please post what you'd like to see made available and how much you'd like to pay.

Votes: 19 41.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of SDN users are lurkers, while 10% are members. However, 90% of the members are actually lurkers asking questions for their own gain, which leaves 10% (1% of SDN users) as active contributors. Pretty unfortunate, but increasing competition leads to increasing opportunistic nature. This includes everyone (notably premeds, med students, residents and fellows).

Yeah this is very true. It's crazy when you look at the number of page views that a thread has!!! :eek:

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah this is very true. It's crazy when you look at the number of page views that a thread has!!! :eek:

It's also scary that a good chunk of all pre-meds applying to medical school/medical students have seen and recognize the frequent posters. I told a few people what my handle is recently and all of them had seen things I've posted... lol

It's also scary that a good chunk of all pre-meds applying to medical school/medical students have seen and recognize the frequent posters. I told a few people what my handle is recently and all of them had seen things I've posted... lol

I used to be one that would recognize frequent posters. I was a non-member lurker as a pre-med. :p

Here's the ironic thing though. SDN kind of pushes people to make their pre-med journey into a ridiculously well-calculated path, even though it's disguised as being "passionate." Such need for careful calculation undoubtedly leads to neuroticism. It's no surprise that people therefore are so scared to admit they are on this site. They feel anything and everything can be used against them at some point. I know I felt this way.

I think SDN is one of the only places where you'll see threads asking things most people wouldn't think about, like threads about sending a thank you note after interviewing. It's crazy that it actually leads to a huge discussion.

I'm shocked there are no threads yet asking whether it's okay two go number two when you're interviewing because there's a chance an ADCOM might end up sitting in a stall next to you. This would then result in a massive discussion as to whether pooping will have any impact on your chances.

When you have things like this going on, it's no surprise that people distance themselves from this site. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know about a t-shirt, but throw in an SDN shot glass and you've got yourselves a deal :p

Well, there were more options than just a t-shirt and several people have commented that they wouldn't buy a t-shirt. A no option is kind of assumed, but not counted. But it definitely wouldd've been a good idea to include a "wouldn't purchase anything" option... Too bad I can't edit the poll. =/

I don't get how a "would not purchase" option would help. Shouldn't you just survey those that would purchase? perhaps once you know what stuff you'd likely sell you could ask if they would buy it to have an idea of how many to order?

Here's the problem with t-shirts. I have met a lot of people either interviewing or currently in medical school. Everyone has the same universal reply when you ask about SDN: "Yeah I check the site out, but I don't have an account."

I think that the moderators and some very prominent members who post regularly, like you, NickNaylor, and others would buy gear and admit that you are SDN members. Other people might be a little too neurotic...

I have yet to meet an SDN member in real life!

I've met people from SDN in real life. Awesome people, BTW! :)

Most people do play dumb if you mention SDN. I think that it is funny that they are so insecure about themselves.

I'd prefer if the shirt had something funny and more like an inside joke, but I'd still use maybe a mug or something if it just had SDN on it. :)

I would buy a coffee mug with SDN on it to go along with my Link coffee mug :D

Most people do play dumb if you mention SDN. I think that it is funny that they are so insecure about themselves.

I'd prefer if the shirt had something funny and more like an inside joke, but I'd still use maybe a mug or something if it just had SDN on it. :)

Lucky you! I think it would be pretty sweet to meet some SDNers in Chicago.

I think a shirt making fun of the neuroticism might be pretty funny actually. ;)

SDN was brought up casually at one of my interviews. As in the sentence "well I was reading xyz about the school on sdn". Everyone was clearly aware.

Still wouldn't wear any SDN apparel unless it was obviously trolling.

Front: 3.98 cgpa/37 MCAT, medicore ECs gonna hurt me???
Back: forums.studentdoctor.net

Front: Future neonatalplastadermaneurosurgeon

Front: SDN
Back: This is a top-tier shirt

Jersey front: Is a 3.6 GPA too low?
Jersey back name line: MCAT
Jersey back number: 39

Blais, thanks for your thoughts and elaboration.
Here's the problem with t-shirts. I have met a lot of people either interviewing or currently in medical school. Everyone has the same universal reply when you ask about SDN: "Yeah I check the site out, but I don't have an account."

I think that the moderators and some very prominent members who post regularly, like you, NickNaylor, and others would buy gear and admit that you are SDN members. Other people might be a little too neurotic...

I have yet to meet an SDN member in real life!
I've met several SDN members in real life. At interviews, as uncouth as it may've been perceived by those unwilling to admit they're on the site, I always find several ladies and gents that admit they're on the site. And as StudyShy has said, they tend to be some awesome peeps.
I've always wondered why this stigma exists, at least to the extent that it does. Great explanation Blais.
Yeah, I've never felt an iota of self-consciousness about being on SDN. I believe it helped me get where I am today and want nothing more than to pay it forward.
I used to be one that would recognize frequent posters. I was a non-member lurker as a pre-med. :p

Here's the ironic thing though. SDN kind of pushes people to make their pre-med journey into a ridiculously well-calculated path, even though it's disguised as being "passionate." Such need for careful calculation undoubtedly leads to neuroticism. It's no surprise that people therefore are so scared to admit they are on this site. They feel anything and everything can be used against them at some point. I know I felt this way.

I think SDN is one of the only places where you'll see threads asking things most people wouldn't think about, like threads about sending a thank you note after interviewing. It's crazy that it actually leads to a huge discussion.

I'm shocked there are no threads yet asking whether it's okay two go number two when you're interviewing because there's a chance an ADCOM might end up sitting in a stall next to you. This would then result in a massive discussion as to whether pooping will have any impact on your chances.

When you have things like this going on, it's no surprise that people distance themselves from this site. :cool:
:rofl: I know where you're coming from. Some of the questions are just so common sensical that the first reply is enough. But then someone debates an appropriate answer and a filibuster ensues.

+1
SDN was brought up casually at one of my interviews. As in the sentence "well I was reading xyz about the school on sdn". Everyone was clearly aware.

See, I totally agree that most of what would sell would be poking fun at the neuroticism. But, as has already been mentioned by myself and others, they just don't want to bring that kind of attention to themselves, even if that's what genuinely goes on amidst the good advice.

I'm so glad we have a dialogue going on. I hope the admin sees your posts. Even as the numbers rise that would purchase items, it no longer seems worth my while to make it a joint endeavor. The overhead is simply too costly for me to serve the marginal interest as compared to the site's active membership and lurkers. ::sigh:: It was a good idea, though.

Thanks again for all of the input. Let's continue the discussion.

Members don't see this ad :)

Front: Poop hotdog

I'd totally buy one :laugh:

I guess if people want to make a reasonable shirt or something, have the SDN logo with the symbols of each health profession that is represented on this site.

If I can have it my way, I think some of you can guess the crazy t-shirt ideas I would do.

Front: SDN logo plus a photo of Mother Teresa on the front.
Back: She ain't got nothing on us!

Front: SDN logo plus the famous phrase, "Where's the beef?"
Back: I need it for my extra curriculars.

I've always wondered why this stigma exists, at least to the extent that it does. Great explanation Blais.

Thank you, my friend.

Blais, thanks for your thoughts and elaboration.

Yeah, I've never felt an iota of self-consciousness about being on SDN. I believe it helped me get where I am today and want nothing more than to pay it forward.

See, I totally agree that most of what would sell would be poking fun at the neuroticism. But, as has already been mentioned by myself and others, they just don't want to bring that kind of attention to themselves, even if that's what genuinely goes on amidst the good advice.

I'm so glad we have a dialogue going on. I hope the admin sees your posts. Even as the numbers rise that would purchase items, it no longer seems worth my while to make it a joint endeavor. The overhead is simply too costly for me to serve the marginal interest as compared to the site's active membership and lurkers. ::sigh:: It was a good idea, though.

And thank you for taking my thoughts in stride.

Despite my opinions on this endeavor, I have great respect for your proactive approach towards bringing new ideas to this place (brainstorming on merchandise) and helping your fellow premeds (video chat).

Keep that fire alive, ideas flowing, and energy high... medicine needs more folks like you that step outside of the "tunnel" for their vision.

Thank you, my friend.

And thank you for taking my thoughts in stride.

Despite my opinions on this endeavor, I have great respect for your proactive approach towards bringing new ideas to this place (brainstorming on merchandise) and helping your fellow premeds (video chat).

Keep that fire alive, ideas flowing, and energy high... medicine needs more folks like you that step outside of the "tunnel" for their vision.
Thanks for the kind words, Blais. That made my morning. :)
10 GPA, 88 mCAT

Also, whatever happened to temporary tattoos? Remember those?
They still exist. My tattoo artists with children often buy them for their kids because they want to look more like their parents. LoL, one of my former female artists got a call from her daughter's school when she drew all overherself with a sharpie. Ahh, kids. Gosta love 'em.
31156_127165633973929_3903667_n.jpg

(Throw back for the 90s kids among us.)

Thanks for the kind words, Blais. That made my morning. :)

They still exist. My tattoo artists with children often buy them for their kids because they want to look more like their parents. LoL, one of my former female artists got a call from her daughter's school when she drew all overherself with a sharpie. Ahh, kids. Gosta love 'em.
31156_127165633973929_3903667_n.jpg

(Throw back for the 90s kids among us.)

TGIF!!! :p

Such a perfectly timed post as well.

Think we could get this on a poster?

The second would be I got 102 points out of 104 total for my organic II class without "talking" to my professor. two days later had to withdraw myself because the school bully was flashing D card on my way to class. a little whimpy to withdraw, in retrospect, my reason to feel scared was all right. later on this person, who was in the same class with me, named "Zhong Ying" who claimed to be a nontrad, trapped someone else and disappeared from school.

:smuggrin:

SDN is a valuable resource, but that our society seems to value anti-intellectualism and there is no real pride in being knowledgeable or doing well in academics, it's understandable why SDN has a stigma. Coming to a website - much less being an active participant in it (sigh) - just makes people think you're both a need and a gunner. SDN has excellent info, but a lot of the forums at least are just people working themselves into a frenzy over things that aren't that important or meaningful. People that don't spend a lot of time here - which would be most people - just see that aspect of the site and assume that's what it's all about. That obviously isn't the case, but it's easy to understand how the misconception comes about.

Sent from my Nexus 7

I don't think I could wear any SDN apparel. If I ever saw someone wearing one I'd probably scoff at them and want to kick their ass.

I don't think I could wear any SDN apparel. If I ever saw someone wearing one I'd probably scoff at them and want to kick their ass.
This is how I imagine you reacting to someone wearing an SDN shirt or hat (prior to the violence, of course):

jack-nicholson-stare-o.gif

You know how intimidated I would have been if someone walked into Biochem Lab rocking an SDN t-shirt and finishing up coffee from a "1K+ poster" mug?

However, I would still def buy a t or something to support a good cause such as this.

You know how intimidated I would have been if someone walked into Biochem Lab rocking an SDN t-shirt and finishing up coffee from a "1K+ poster" mug?

However, I would still def buy a t or something to support a good cause such as this.

I would be more intimidated if I walked into an interview and the interviewer was drinking from a LizzyM mug. :scared:

SDN is a valuable resource, but that our society seems to value anti-intellectualism and there is no real pride in being knowledgeable or doing well in academics, it's understandable why SDN has a stigma. Coming to a website - much less being an active participant in it (sigh) - just makes people think you're both a need and a gunner. SDN has excellent info, but a lot of the forums at least are just people working themselves into a frenzy over things that aren't that important or meaningful. People that don't spend a lot of time here - which would be most people - just see that aspect of the site and assume that's what it's all about. That obviously isn't the case, but it's easy to understand how the misconception comes about.

Sent from my Nexus 7

That makes a lot of sense. I also think that SDN is a valuable resource. When I first started reading it I was a bit intimidated but learning to use the search function has yield many interesting reads. I actually did not know about TBR until coming here and I think that made a big difference in my MCAT performance.

I actually own a sdn lapel pin but I would never, ever wear it in an interivew. :smuggrin:
Hahahaha! Now THAT'S intimidating!

But I'd love to make the realization that I'm sitting in front of LizzyM so I could get up and shake your hand for all the advice you've given us. Believe it or not, you helped me get this 'hur 'edjumacation! :) For real, though, thanks for all of your insight over the years.

I actually own a sdn lapel pin but I would never, ever wear it in an interivew. :smuggrin:

If you were seen with any kind of SDN paraphernalia it would be a dead giveaway. If you wore the lapel pin you'd probably have to cancel it out with something like a mug that said "not LizzyM."

Status
Not open for further replies.