SDN Myth - Courseload?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillinillinkillin007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have heard from SDN that course load doesn't matter. I call this BS. There are individuals who take orgo their junior year vs. sophomore, people with double majors, engineers vs. history, etc.

I call all of this stuff doesn't matter stuff BS. The whole point of the classes is to see whether or not you can survive medical school. There's no way course load is not taken into account when determining academic magnitude. Granted academic magnitude is only one part of the puzzle but a 3.6 is not always better than a 3.4. These comparison of stats are completely empty and useless, and it ticks me off how much SDN users dread over these numbers in what are my chances. SDN you have a lot of good advice but a lot of bad advice at the same time

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think that SDN consensus is that courseload DOES matter. It has generally been advised to take on rigorous coursework. Now, giving lame excuses for a poor GPA is what's not gonna fly.

Reactions: 10 users
Obviously courseload matters to some extent. But regardless of one's degree choice, all are required to prove that they can "hack it" in the required prerequisite classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the cut-point for a specific school is 3.45, then a 3.6 will make the cut and a 3.4 will not, course load be damned. A 3.6 with a heavy course load will get more respect than a 3.6 will a light course load but both will be beaten by a 3.8 regardless of course load. And so it goes. Do your best and hope that overall, you are better than 60% of your peers because that's what it takes to be admitted.

Reactions: 33 users
If the cut-point for a specific school is 3.45, then a 3.6 will make the cut and a 3.4 will not, course load be damned. A 3.6 with a heavy course load will get more respect than a 3.6 will a light course load but both will be beaten by a 3.8 regardless of course load. And so it goes. Do your best and hope that overall, you are better than 60% of your peers because that's what it takes to be admitted.
Straight forward answer. Question Resolved!

Course load does matter and we've waitlisted people who took very light course loads over longer periods of time, for example. Someone who maintains a 3.9 from multiple 12 hr loads is not going to be taken as seriously as one who did so with a 15-17 hr load.

So I have heard from SDN that course load doesn't matter. I call this BS. There are individuals who take orgo their junior year vs. sophomore, people with double majors, engineers vs. history, etc.

I call all of this stuff doesn't matter stuff BS. The whole point of the classes is to see whether or not you can survive medical school. There's no way course load is not taken into account when determining academic magnitude. Granted academic magnitude is only one part of the puzzle but a 3.6 is not always better than a 3.4. These comparison of stats are completely empty and useless, and it ticks me off how much SDN users dread over these numbers in what are my chances. SDN you have a lot of good advice but a lot of bad advice at the same time

Well before talking about course load - one better make sure they can handle it before your GPA plummets and soon course load becomes irrelevant because of your diminishing GPA. I would personally stick to the average course-load, do well, pick strong electives etc. Better be safe than sorry. I managed 15-20+ credits of heavy science courses per semester (Due to tuition cap above 15 credits - I took advantage for cost reasons + graduated in 3 years) - however my graduation cGPA was 3.5+.
It could have been so much better if I took lighter course loads - and as LizzyM noted, watch out for GPA cutoffs regardless.

Course load does matter and we've waitlisted people who took very light course loads over longer periods of time, for example. Someone who maintains a 3.9 from multiple 12 hr loads is not going to be taken as seriously as one who did so with a 15-17 hr load.
What if I took something like 4 sumer 12 fall 12 winter 4 summer (for a total of 32) for freshman year, and have made sure I had 15+ every semester since?

That's fine, One lesser year isn't going to ruin things. Just do well.

What if I took something like 4 sumer 12 fall 12 winter 4 summer (for a total of 32) for freshman year, and have made sure I had 15+ every semester since?

I'd been out of school for a few years and my advisors told me to take it easy (I wasn't even a pre-med back then :p).

What if you can't afford more than 12-14 credits?

Agree 100% but it seems as if a lot of my peers try to "game" the system. Taking ecology classes instead of advanced biology, taking hardly any credits a semester, and pretty much wasting their college tuition and opportunity to take interesting classes by taking joke classes to get a high GPA. The point of a college education is to actually learn and explore, not to get a numerical number that supposedly represents your intelligence

Agree 100% but it seems as if a lot of my peers try to "game" the system. Taking ecology classes instead of advanced biology, taking hardly any credits a semester, and pretty much wasting their college tuition and opportunity to take interesting classes by taking joke classes to get a high GPA. The point of a college education is to actually learn and explore, not to get a numerical number that supposedly represents your intelligence

Thou shall care about yourself and thou shall not judge other people.

Any class in principle will lead to some kind of knowledge acquisition.

Thou shall care about yourself and thou shall not judge other people.

Any class in principle will lead to some kind of knowledge acquisition.

The main difference between US medical education and the rest of the world is the US's focuses on a broad liberal arts education. These premeds avoid the liberal arts education they should get because they'd rather protect their GPA. My whole point is ADCOMs are not stupid and do look at courseload to some extent. Obviously the higher the GPA the better but ADCOMs don't want to see someone with a bland courseload

Members don't see this ad :)
The main difference between US medical education and the rest of the world is the US's focuses on a broad liberal arts education. These premeds avoid the liberal arts education they should get because they'd rather protect their GPA. My whole point is ADCOMs are not stupid and do look at courseload to some extent. Obviously the higher the GPA the better but ADCOMs don't want to see someone with a bland courseload

Lol, you are not suggesting that the rest of the world lacks liberal education in their medical curriculum? I still remember learning about Diogenes of Sinope in 9th grade ethics class right prior to moving here. And also how does advanced biology coursework factor in liberal arts education?

Easy to inflate a GPA with the shortcut game.
Not so easy to inflate an MCAT score with the shortcut game.
MCAT = equalizer.
Bite the bullet, work hard and smart, don't get in trouble, be nice to your friends and classmates, and enjoy life.
From, SDN stranger.

Reactions: 1 users
Took ~12-14 credits nearly every semester (minus one or two 15-18 credit semesters) and it was never brought up once in my interviews. Also went to community college. This was not brought up either. So far I've received multiple acceptances. MCAT <30. GPA 3.86. Not a hard major. Take it for what it is worth. n=1.

Reactions: 4 users
Took ~12-14 credits nearly every semester (minus one or two 15-18 credit semesters) and it was never brought up once in my interviews. Also went to community college. This was not brought up either. So far I've received multiple acceptances. MCAT <30. GPA 3.86. Not a hard major. Take it for what it is worth. n=1.

Ha! At a university the only people who give me trouble about having attended a community college are those who aren't exactly doing so "hot" right now.

Reactions: 2 users

n=2
My story is almost identical to this; however, I did work up to 72 hours a week in addition to my classes.

n=2
My story is almost identical to this; however, I did work up to 72 hours a week in addition to my classes.

Wow, I do a few 12 hour overnights and feel tired...... Not sure if I could survive 72 a week....

I hope your workplace realizes your worth,

3 workplaces actually. I didn't always work 72 hours a week, but my minimum was around 36. Being a paramedic is a great way to get through college; EMS = earn money sleeping.

Wow, I do a few 12 hour overnights and feel tired...... Not sure if I could survive 72 a week....

Also, it's easier to rack up the hours once 12, 24, and 36 hours shifts become an option. I would start work at 5 pm one day, then get off at 5 am 36 hours later. I could usually average around 12+ hours of sleep during this time.

My college usually doesn't allow you to take more than 4 classes a semester. You technically can but have to pay a lot more and petition to do it. I am also working 2 jobs because I have to.

Also, it's easier to rack up the hours once 12, 24, and 36 hours shifts become an option. I would start work at 5 pm one day, then get off at 5 am 36 hours later. I could usually average around 12+ hours of sleep during this time.
Haha! Paid sleep, sleep when it's quiet! I wish I was a paramedic. Plus you guys get to drive out all over the state.

On the downside... I know how poorly you guys are paid

-Also, I get the joke in your avatar..... nicely done. I hate the people who come in at night with something that just happened... (a.k.a. I have no insurance and the clinic told me to get lost)

a semester here or there of lighter coursework should be the least of your worries. now if you take 6 years to graduate because you took only 12 credit hours each semester, then expect to raise some eyebrows and doubt.

I've got a mix of 17-18s, 15-16s, and a couple of 12-14s. double major, study abroad, collegiate sport, RA, research, tutoring, etc. it's all about the whole package. but if you've got a 3.4 and you're worried about whether you should take 15 or 18 hours, you're going about it all wrong. just take your classes and do well.

Easy to inflate a GPA with the shortcut game.
Not so easy to inflate an MCAT score with the shortcut game.
MCAT = equalizer.
Bite the bullet, work hard and smart, don't get in trouble, be nice to your friends and classmates, and enjoy life.
From, SDN stranger.

You stole my avatar :sendoff:

12 hour overnights is many times worse than 8, 10, or 12 hour days--or even 16 hours day/evening. Especially when they run consecutive and you get like one crappy day off in-between--which leads to terrible burnout. Long and repetitive night shifts are quite a beast--especially w/ school. Now, if you can limit them to two 12's not so bad. 3 wouldn't be bad either, but if you do WE's the cycle flips around and you have crap off in-between and you are always trying to play catch up with sleep and other responsibilities. Best way for me is to do them is to bang out F/S/S. Go to class Monday morning, but of course there will be crash time thereafter. Then you bust your arse through the week and do the WE deal all over again. Kills your social life; but whatever. Working on getting at least one full WE off a month whenever possible.

Did the 70+ hours at my last job--lots of travel and a number of strange hours--then meetings-r-us, paperwork up the whazoo--sometimes able to work remotely--but they had many problems with their systems, so it ended up being an issue for school.

Haha! Paid sleep, sleep when it's quiet! I wish I was a paramedic. Plus you guys get to drive out all over the state.

On the downside... I know how poorly you guys are paid

-Also, I get the joke in your avatar..... nicely done. I hate the people who come in at night with something that just happened... (a.k.a. I have no insurance and the clinic told me to get lost)

OH wow. No dude. No sleeping for RNs. LOL. It ain't happening. Just like nights is supposed to be so slow, and well, a lot of nights are NOT. Like these better though--better to keep moving.

OH wow. No dude. No sleeping for RNs. LOL. It ain't happening. Just like nights is supposed to be so slow, and well, a lot of nights are NOT. Like these better though--better to keep moving.
Well, I'm a tech myself.... I don't get to sleep or stop...........ever. I'm the lab on the overnight (I run all the departments, including maintenance), including phleb duties at times.......... and I have to draw blood, along with abg's. (Clinical experience though).

-I was just saying being a paramedic sounds like a pretty cool job.
-Being a RN can be tough, assuming that's what you do.
Ha! Yeah, I'd love a slow night, just doesn't happen.

Sorry to revive a 2-year-old thread, but I was hoping for some advice on course schedules-
the courses I need to take still for my majors add up to around 12 semester hours per semester. I don't want med schools to think that I'm slacking by taking such light course loads, but I'd also like the extra time to prepare for applications, earn some $, and possibly retake the MCAT. Would it be best to have a couple 'normal' semesters of 15 sh or so, and then one semester that doesn't add up to 12 (my school has that as full-time student minimum)? If so, should I have that semester be the one I retake the mcat, or during interviews?

For any sdners involved in the admissions process: could you share what format you see the class list, course load, etc. in? Like if you see the list for each semester or a list for each year?

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Maximize your GPA and your MCAT and damn the rest.

Sorry to revive a 2-year-old thread, but I was hoping for some advice on course schedules-
the courses I need to take still for my majors add up to around 12 semester hours per semester. I don't want med schools to think that I'm slacking by taking such light course loads, but I'd also like the extra time to prepare for applications, earn some $, and possibly retake the MCAT. Would it be best to have a couple 'normal' semesters of 15 sh or so, and then one semester that doesn't add up to 12 (my school has that as full-time student minimum)? If so, should I have that semester be the one I retake the mcat, or during interviews?

For any sdners involved in the admissions process: could you share what format you see the class list, course load, etc. in? Like if you see the list for each semester or a list for each year?
Just do the 12 and don't worry about it. Probably won't come up at all.

You might want to add an elective, independent study or research for credit to get to 12 given that there are strong financial incentives for being a full-time student vs part-time.

AMCAS sums credits per year and displays them in a table along with GPA. There are columns for sGPA science credits, all other GPA, all other credits, and total GPA and total credits.

You might want to add an elective, independent study or research for credit to get to 12 given that there are strong financial incentives for being a full-time student vs part-time.

AMCAS sums credits per year and displays them in a table along with GPA. There are columns for sGPA science credits, all other GPA, all other credits, and total GPA and total credits.
Very helpful info. Thank you!