SDN Reputation vs "Real World" Reputation (NYU vs Case)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cleorkwk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Most people in the "real world" think NYU is a better school, and SDNers think Case is a better school. I was initially leaning on going to Case, but my 99.9% of my patients won't be SDNers. Have you guys thought about this discrepancy in reputation between real world people and SDNers? Do you think going to Case is still better than NYU even though "real world" people may think NYU dental is a better school?

Members don't see this ad.

I would go to Case just because it's cheaper and it's a good school. Patients aren't going to ask where you go to school. If you're a good dentist, then you're a good dentist regardless of where you went.

Most people in the "real world" think NYU is a better school, and SDNers think Case is a better school. I was initially leaning on going to Case, but my 99.9% of my patients won't be SDNers. Have you guys thought about this discrepancy in reputation between real world people and SDNers? Do you think going to Case is still better than NYU even though "real world" people may think NYU dental is a better school?

If cost isn't an issue for you, I would choose NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
If cost is an issue for you, I would go to nyu (it's not that much of a difference is it?)

I would go to Case just because it's cheaper and it's a good school. Patients aren't going to ask where you go to school. If you're a good dentist, then you're a good dentist regardless of where you went.

I would also go to Case because it's cheaper; both are good schools. Patients sometimes will ask where you went to school, however it is whether or not you're a good dentist that will matter most.

If cost were not an issue, and I'd never lived in NYC, I'd strongly consider NYU for the life/living experience, but for most people cost is a very strong factor, and NYU simply loses in that regard most of the time.

The only schools that a patient will have heard of would be those associated with familiar schools (Harvard, Columbia, or a school local to you). They've heard of the school but probably never knew there was a dental school there. Most patients probably do not know of most of the dental schools out there.

Patients sometimes will ask where you went to school, however it is whether or not you're a good dentist that will matter most.

:thumbup: this is true. When a patient does ask you, the conversation will go like this...

Patient: So where did you go to dental school?
DDS: I went to Case Western University.
Patient: Where is that at?
DDS: It is a private school in Ohio, it is actually one of the best dental schools around.
Patient: Wow, that is great.

And to be honest, if you want your patients to recognize your school... you would probably be better off going to a state university with a good football team. Florida, Michigan, Tennessee, UCLA, Ohio State, and West Virginia come to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you can go wrong with either school. Say let's call the clinical education damn near equal, would you want to live in New York City or Cleveland? Which one is cheaper to attend and live nearby for you?