SDN: Stress Source or Stress Reliever?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Does SDN make you more or less stressed out?

• More stressed always

Votes: 41 39.4%
  • Less stressed always

Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Depends on time in cycle

Votes: 46 44.2%
  • lol i juxt found this site wut is sdn?

Votes: 3 2.9%

• Total voters

b2sun

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you come to SDN and find that you become more stressed out after reading the posts of crazy premeds, or do you feel more sane after finding others in your same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

I come here for information, knowing that there's some good with bad. I also find annoyance with some of the threads.

I don't think it's a stress reliever, atm.

Members don't see this ad :)
If it's a stress source you may want to come on the site.

Honestly, it doesn't really affect me at all. I just find it funny... and a decent way of procrastinating when I really don't want to do other things! If you take things with a grain of salt here, I don't really think most people should be stressed by it at all. Yes, it's a bunch of high-achievers, but meh....

Honestly, it doesn't really affect me at all. I just find it funny... and a decent way of procrastinating when I really don't want to do other things! If you take things with a grain of salt here, I don't really think most people should be stressed by it at all. Yes, it's a bunch of high-achievers, but meh....
lol apumic i see you on the CC forums all the time too

im rainbowbrite btw :p

Stress source or reliever? No. An opportunity to demonstrate compulsive behavior? Yes.

I go only for what I want. There are a lot of people who need to make themselves feel important in cyberspace to compensate for things lacking in their real life. You get used to it and ignore them, and go for the important posts.

I would spend a lot more time here just to socialize, but there are just too many immature people on the board to weed through so I just go for what I need and then leave. Plus, I actually have a social life in real life! :-D

It depends for me. I see the people that are already getting interview invites and that makes me feel like I'm way behind the curve, but then I still see the "Great tips for entering Work/Activities in AMCAS" thread getting lots of action, which means some haven't submitted their primaries yet. I mostly come to SDN to see trolls get yelled at though.

Neither. Like apumic, I'm only here in two situations:

A- I'm searching older threads if I have question because there are a lot of useful information on this site.

B- I'm procrastinating instead of studying.

Stress reliever. My avatar and quote in my signature should demonstrate why.

If you take this forum too seriously, I can understand why it would induce some stress. But the internet is simply not serious business.

3830957383_a123644845.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Initially it can be a stressor for me until I remember that this place is more neurotic than the International Neurotics Society of Neuroticism.

I mean our unofficial motto should be "SDN: Home of the '4.0 instead of 4.3. I am I screwed? Should I go DO or Caribbean?"

Only a stressor if you're a neurotic and overly competitive individual who has no common sense to think for themselves.

Stress reliever. My avatar and quote in my signature should demonstrate why.

If you take this forum too seriously, I can understand why it would induce some stress. But the internet is simply not serious business.
THANK YOU for changing your avatar :thumbup:

But I concur...again

Initially it can be a stressor for me until I remember that this place is more neurotic than the International Neurotics Society of Neuroticism.

I mean our unofficial motto should be "SDN: Home of the '4.0 instead of 4.3. I am I screwed? Should I go DO or Caribbean?"

This really isn't true. There are tons of applicants here with average or below average stats. This notion that everyone on SDN is a stat machine over achiever is somewhat inflated.

Also, I don't understand why this site would make anyone stressed...It's an internet forum where people post their stories or information. Seeing other successful applicants shouldn't make you stressed, nor should seeing a bunch of crazy over neurotic people harp on about an A- vs. an A. There's weird people on this site just like the rest of the internet, nothing to be stressed about. If anything, I'd be perpetually relieved that I get to see what some of the best are doing rather than persisting in ignorance.

It's only temporary. Wheezy will be making a comeback.

What?! Lil' Wayne gets out of jail soon :eek:

Neither. Like apumic, I'm only here in two situations:

A- I'm searching older threads if I have question because there are a lot of useful information on this site.

B- I'm procrastinating instead of studying.
:thumbup:

I also use SDN when I need a good comic relief. Being pre-med is sometimes extremely stressful and depressing; a little comedy helps ease the stress in this "journey".

SDN is very helpful. I wish I had found it way earlier. And I think school specific threads are truly awesome. In order to answer the question, SDN is not designed for people to come to relieve stress. SDN is not here to offer people support. However, if I had to answer the question, I would say that I do get little bit more stressed just because I am an average applicant and most people in here are above average. may be most people in here are average but as the saying goes "grass always looks greener on the other side"

I think SDN's population is reflective of the average matriculant, not the average applicant, so don't worry too much!

Agreed. I think I first found this site in my sophomore year and it made me crazy. Then I learned to stay away from threads with topics like "what are my chances?" and "Only a B+ in Orgo! Am I screwed??"

Since then SDN has been a valuable source of information. However, at this point, now that I am actually applying to medical school, it is starting to be a source of stress and paranoia again.

I've been steadily convincing myself I've done horribly on the MCAT (don't have my score yet) even though when I took it I found it easier than expected. However, in this situation, I don't know whether to blame SDN or my innate neuroticism that probably drove me here (and to apply to medical school) in the first place.

SDN is definately an amazing source of information and personal exerience. I refer all of my newly minted pre-med friends to the site because they are so overwhelmed by what they don't know. That said I am always surprised by how easily people freak out on one another on SDN for the silliest 'transgressions.' But even they don't really stress me out. Now MDApplicants.com stresses me out. It just reminds me of the competition :(