SDNers willing to house interviewees

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lll505

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was thinking that b/c this process is so expensive already, if some of us SDNers happen to live near a med school and know the area, if an interviewee cannot stay with a med student host, some of us could offer our places to help other students with the cost of visiting a school for an interview.

Anyway, I'll start -- I live near UCSF and am willing to put someone up if they have nowhere to stay and can't afford a hotel.

Sorry if there was already a thread like this.

Members don't see this ad.

i think this is awesome...can save a ton of money that way esp with schools that don't have student hosting.

dont know what the deal is with emory or morehouse student hosting, but both are readily accessible from my place via MARTA.....

anyone got a place in chicago?

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, I'm a second year at Tufts med and can house 1 person, or 2 people if you are willing to share a sofa bed. Tufts, BU, and Hah-vud interviewees are welcome. I live about a 40 minute commute (counting walking times from train) to Tufts going inbound on the green line, so if you are interviewing at TUSM on a Tuesday, you will have to get up to go with me to school at 6:30 even though your interview day doesn't begin until 9. sorry.. I think I live within walking distance or a short T ride going outbound to Harvard med. Only 2 requests, please don't bring pets (not allowed in my building) or children unless you have a place to send them during the interview day, unfortunately I can't babysit on Tuesdays. good luck to everyone interviewing! oh yeah, I am a female, 25y/o, single, live in a very comfortable studio with new wood floors.

this thread is awesome. i have no interviews so far, but i'll certainly need help with housing later on (my checking account is already down to 3 digits).

i live in SF Bay area.

I'd be more than happy to host anyone interviewing in Champaign for UIC. Peoria is an hour and a half drive, but you're welcome to stay at my house if you want to make the drive. Also, my hometown is about an hour from Rockford, and I'll be there over semester break, so let me know if you need a place to stay.

SDN slumber party! ;)

(my checking account is already down to 3 digits).

3 digits is good.

I'm 20 minutes from Indiana U med school....I think most people that interview there are in state but let me know if you need housing.

Great idea, lll505. If anyone is coming to UNM to interview, give me a shout-out. :rolleyes: Doesn't seem very likely, but I'd be happy to house anyone who needs it.

I'm coming to interview at Wake Forest and looking for a place Dec 15th and 16th if anyone's out there.

i'm at u of rochester - and have a couple beds in my room - and a 7 minut walk from the med school. feel free -- and i'm actually going to be there from now on - just have a couple more interviews to go to

-jot

New Orleans, LA. Just be forewarned, I get up at 5:30 so no sleeping in!

Originally posted by seaworthc
New Orleans, LA. Just be forewarned, I get up at 5:30 so no sleeping in!

I don't have an interview in Nawlins, but how bout letting me crash for Mardi Gras? ;) :laugh:

Originally posted by Woots32
I don't have an interview in Nawlins, but how bout letting me crash for Mardi Gras? ;) :laugh:
can we pick up men together? ;) absolutely!

seriously, it is a one bedroom Woots, so I can fit youself and two others.

I'm also available for anyone interviewing in the boston area. i live on Northeastern University's campus which is very close to BU, Tufts, and Hah-Vahd. Please PM if you are interested. Probably best to bring a sleeping bag if you have one.

Cheers to the person who started this thread, great idea!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there anyone in the Miami area???

i can host anyone interviewing for michigan state (i'm near east lansing and could drive you in that morning on my way to work or put you on the right bus, depending on the time of your interview). pm me if you need a place to stay. i'm 25, female, single w/a 1br and a futon in the living room.

this is an awesome idea! but i have no interviews yet. hope the offer goes till next yr=) BTW, i live right next to UCLA, females only (I live with 3 other girls). If you don't mind the couch, you're welcome to stay.

I can host anyone who is interviewing at University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. I live less than ten minutes from the school, and I work right near campus so I can drive anyone in in the morning.

Hey girl! Can i take you up on that Mardi-Gras crash pad offer as well...I just called a friend today and i think i'm FINALLY coming down to Nawlins this year for Mardi-Gras. Unfortunately i will miss Fat Tuesday cause of work but i'm finally going..woohoo!! While you girls go looking for men i'll be tossing beads :0)

If anyone is coming in from out of state...or hell, even in state from southern or eastern oregon...I'm in downtown portland and very close to OHSU. Have futon. I am also up very early in the morning though.

no one out there in Miami? :confused:

I live two blocks from the Med U of SC (MUSC). I am more than willing to house any non-axe-murderer SDNer. . . save you do not mind a pesky chihuahua.

Thanks to all who are offering!

this is one of the nicest threads i've seen on SDN. nice peeps...
p

Originally posted by isidella
I am more than willing to house any non-axe-murderer SDNer. . .

Oops, I definitely should have included this. :laugh: Maybe it should be in the title of the thread.

Anyone in NYC willing to host me for two days (11/30-12/1) until the Columbia student host can take over? If you let me stay with you, I'll ask you all the mock interview questions you want. Also, I can cook and clean. :)

BTW, I have never owned an axe, but I have used one at Scout camp. I promise not to kill you though....Scouts Honor.

I have room within 45 minutes of Seattle. For any UW applicants who live far away, let me know.

Also--btw 20 December and 4 January, anyone who is interview at Mayo, UofMN, or UMD (UMD/Mayo within two hours--very quick drive if no blizzard). I can only do so MN btw such dates, otherwise WA.

I'm also in the Boston area, 5 min drive to Tufts, 10 min bus ride to red and green lines, ie harvard, bu.

I live 2 miles from CWRU and have an extra bedroom.

i live a block and a half from UCLA and as long as you don't mind sleeping on the couch (it is really comfy - i have actually slept/passed out on it myself), then you're more than welcome!

Hi Everyone,

If anyone needs a place to stay in philadelphia, let me know! I am:

~10 min walk/5 min drive to Jefferson
~15-30 min drive to Drexel U.
~15-20 min drive to U Penn
~15-20 min drive to Temple U.

Blues

hey all -
I don't have a place to offer, but I would be more than willing to meet up with applicants for dinner/drinks/movie, to show them the U of MN campus if they want, and whatever else I can help with before or after the interview. I migt even be able to offer the use of a nice lounge in the same building as the admissions office if somebody needs a place to kick back, store/heat up some food, and surf SDN either on the lounge comptuers or on a laptop.

While not yet a med student, I have been on the U's campus for two years now, and will shortly begin in the med school.

Perhaps we can turn this thread into something more like the "OFFICIAL" threads where we copy and past the posts above to end up making a big list of who can offer what.

Originally posted by wolferman
Anyone in NYC willing to host me for two days (11/30-12/1) until the Columbia student host can take over? If you let me stay with you, I'll ask you all the mock interview questions you want. Also, I can cook and clean. :)

BTW, I have never owned an axe, but I have used one at Scout camp. I promise not to kill you though....Scouts Honor.

wolferman, when are you interviewing? i'm on 12/5. anyway, if you still need a place, pm me. you might have to sleep in the living room though (with my rabbit!), cuz my roommate and i are both girls. :)

Acadet-

I will be home for X-mas (twin cities) 20 Dec-5 Jan. Will be interviewing UofMN 30 Dec (didn't have money to pay for extra trip to MN-conservation of resources)

I stay with parents in St. Paul suburbs.
How is UofMN interview? How long they take to respond?

wow! small world. did you grow up MN? Interview/apply at Mayo UMD?

Anyone coming to USC or UCLA to interview, I would be willing to go kick it. You can stay over, but I live about an hour away from both, so it might not be worth it, but if you want to go around and don't have a car, pm me. If you are interviewing at USC on 28th, then come and stay as I will be driving there that day.

Anyone near MCO or Drexel wanna show me around in Jan.;)

X

Originally posted by phil413ru
Acadet-

I will be home for X-mas (twin cities) 20 Dec-5 Jan. Will be interviewing UofMN 30 Dec (didn't have money to pay for extra trip to MN-conservation of resources)

I stay with parents in St. Paul suburbs.
How is UofMN interview? How long they take to respond?

wow! small world. did you grow up MN? Interview/apply at Mayo UMD?

Phil - PMed ya

If anyone needs a place to stay in Seattle, I live less then a mile from University of Washington. :) Plus I know all of the great restaurants around this place.

What the hell, I'll throw my name out there too.

My wife and I live about 45 minutes from the Hopkins med campus, so its not the most convenient, but if you cant find anyone else and dont want to spend money on a hotel then we'd be perfectly willing to host people.

Adcadet- I tried to PM you, but it wouldnt' let me.

Hey-
I live five min driving distance from UNMC (univ. of neb med center) and ten min driving distance from creighton.
i have four places to sleep-they're all living room couches but pretty comfortable...just lemme know way in advance so i can confer with my other two roommates...
probably only females can ask cause my roommates are old fashioned like that...

Hi guys, ill be at Wake this weekend. I tried contacting the admissions committe about student hosts, but i have come up emptyhanded. IS anyone willing to host me on Sunday dec 1, if not, that is fine. THANKS

Originally posted by phil413ru
Adcadet- I tried to PM you, but it wouldnt' let me.

Strange. Anyway, you've got a PM

This really is a nice idea. I live in the Oakland, a Bart ride away from UCSF, a 45 minute car-ride from Stanford, a 30 minute car-ride away from Touro, 10 minutes from UC Berkeley and an hour from UC Davis. We have a very nice guest room, laundry and 3 very sweet kitties. Let me know, and I'll even pick you up from the airport! :)

Nanon

nobody in chicago! I'm not an ax-murderer, I'm clean, and I pay.... :cool:

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
nobody in chicago! I'm not an ax-murderer, I'm clean, and I pay.... :cool:

I'm not in Chicago, but I'm in Illinois!

I think someone suggested a composite list, so I will organize briefly by city. this way you can just get someone's name and PM them instead of going through the whole thread:

List of Hosts

Atlanta (Emory, Morehouse)
-DW

Baltimore (U Maryland, JHU, 45 minute car or train ride to GWU or G-town)
-Gradient Echo (JHU med student) + wife-45 minutes from JHU

Boston (BU, Tufts, Harvard)
-Katie (2nd year TUSM student, 35-40 minute commute via T. walk to Hah-vahd medical campus + affiliated hospitals)
-Bobby Dylan Fan (Northeastern U campus off green E line)
-sarah_viola (accessible via auto and T to all 3 schools)

Champaign, IL (UIC at UIUC campus)
-woots32

Charleston, SC (MUSC)
-isidella + dog

Cleveland (Case Western)
-Zoobaby

Denver (U Colo. HSC)
-Trout Bum

East Lansing/Lansing, MI (MSU-CHM, MSU-COM)
-Good Monkey (10 min. drive)

Indianapolis (Indiana U.)
-Love Doc

Los Angeles (UCLA, USC, long commute to UCI)
-Bounty
-moviefreak (females only)

New Orleans (Tulane, LSU-NO)
-seaworthc

NYC (Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Einstein, longer commute to SUNY-Downstate, SUNY-Stonybrook, NYMC)
-mvervaine

Oakland (UCSF, Davis (1 hour in car), Tuoro, Stanford)
-Nanon and husband

Omaha (UNMC, Creighton)
-LJoo

Philadelphia (Drexel, Temple, U Penn, Jefferson)
-blues

Portland, Oregon (OHSU)
-manicmaven

Rochester, NY (U of Rochester)
-jot

Seattle (U of Washington-WWAMI)
-jennyw17
-phil413rv (45 minute commute)

List of people requesting housing

Chicago- Blitzkreig

Miami - SMUCLATech

NYC (columbia) -wolferman

Philly (drexel) - X

Toledo, OH (MCO) - X

Winston-Salem, NC (WFU) - samyjay

katie,

I heartily applaud thee.

Originally posted by Blitzkrieg
katie,

I heartily applaud thee.

and I doth applaud thee for applauding me :clap: :clap: ..
ok, so that was REALLY lame, just a long day I guess. seriously, I hope you get some PM's from Chicago before your interview. Also, anyone else please feel free to add your info to the list; we love lists on SDN hehe..

Thanks Katie!

that was great of you.....now i'm really praying that Tufts grants me an interview so I can meet you! :love:

List of Hosts

Atlanta (Emory, Morehouse)
-DW

Baltimore (U Maryland, JHU, 45 minute car or train ride to GWU or G-town)
-Gradient Echo (JHU med student) + wife-45 minutes from JHU

Boston (BU, Tufts, Harvard)
-Katie (2nd year TUSM student, 35-40 minute commute via T. walk to Hah-vahd medical campus + affiliated hospitals)
-Bobby Dylan Fan (Northeastern U campus off green E line)
-sarah_viola (accessible via auto and T to all 3 schools)

Champaign, IL (UIC at UIUC campus)
-woots32

Charleston, SC (MUSC)
-isidella + dog

Cleveland (Case Western)
-Zoobaby

Denver (U Colo. HSC)
-Trout Bum

East Lansing/Lansing, MI (MSU-CHM, MSU-COM)
-Good Monkey (10 min. drive)

Indianapolis (Indiana U.)
-Love Doc

Los Angeles (UCLA, USC, long commute to UCI)
-Bounty
-moviefreak (females only)

New Orleans (Tulane, LSU-NO)
-seaworthc

NYC (Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Einstein, longer commute to SUNY-Downstate, SUNY-Stonybrook, NYMC)
-mvervaine

Oakland (UCSF, Davis (1 hour in car), Tuoro, Stanford)
-Nanon and husband

Omaha (UNMC, Creighton)
-LJoo

Philadelphia (Drexel, Temple, U Penn, Jefferson)
-blues

Portland, Oregon (OHSU)
-manicmaven

Rochester, NY (U of Rochester)
-jot

Seattle (U of Washington-WWAMI)
-jennyw17
-phil413rv (45 minute commute)

List of people requesting housing:

Chicago- Blitzkreig

Hershey, PA (Penn State)- PrincessCKNY

Miami - SMUCLATech