SDNers, you rock! + 2 questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bounty

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I am starting this whole application process and I have been reading a lot of the SDN threads...Can I just say that you guys are awesome? I am so impressed by how supportive and non-competitive and un-premed-y you all are!
Congrats to all you 2002 applicants who got accepted and to all of you on waitlists, I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I am sure I will be annoying you guys with lots of questions since it all seems so overwhelming right now...
Here are my first 2:

1) Are there any disadvantages to applying to a bunch of schools? I know cost is one, but aside from that. Do the schools communicate? Would they be less likely to accept someone if they knew they were applying to a million other schools too?
I am thinking about 20-25 (but i am a california resident so I know I cant rely on my state schools).

2) I just graduated and so I will be taking time off from school this year. Did any of you do this? If so, what did you do during that year?

I hope i am not asking questions that have been thoroughly answered before! :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

For a CA resident, 25 is average.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Bounty:

1) Are there any disadvantages to applying to a bunch of schools? I know cost is one, but aside from that. Do the schools communicate? Would they be less likely to accept someone if they knew they were applying to a million other schools too?
I am thinking about 20-25 (but i am a california resident so I know I cant rely on my state schools).

2) I just graduated and so I will be taking time off from school this year. Did any of you do this? If so, what did you do during that year?

I hope i am not asking questions that have been thoroughly answered before! :rolleyes: •••••1) Nope. The more the better. Especially if you're out of school. And if cost isn't a problem I'd apply to like 30.

2) Nope, sorry can't answer that for you. But most schools have a question that asks if you are not in school what are you doing?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Bounty, welcome to SDN!

As far as your questions are concerned, apply to as many schools as you can. Just like moo says, the more the better.

I did take a year off after undergrad and I think it was the best decision for me. I have done some traveling and have been working a little to save some money for when I start med school this fall.

Hope this helps and good luck!

So what if schools know that you apply to tons of other schools? So does 90% of the other applicants.

I took a year off and worked in research. I believe that some schools favor applicants who have taken time off (more experience). One thing that I wished that I had done was to volunteer at a hospital or other community service project. They always ask what have you been doing since submitting the application. Wished I had more to say besides work.

more is NOT better.
i've said this before on some other thread but what you want is RANGE. you want a good range of schools, with the most weight in the middle.

25 is about right for a CA resident.
i don't think it's necessary to apply to any more than that.

i'm from cali and applied to a wide range of schools...30. and no, you cannot rely on your state schools!

taking a year off is good (for you and for applying). they will ask on the secondary what you have been doing. i think some schools prefer people who have taken some time off and done interesting things. in this competitive med school admissions environment, i can't fathom how traditional juniors in college can apply to med school. how can they compete with graduates, people who are alittle older and took time off to do interesting things, or people who are older with interesting backgrounds? geez!

•••quote:•••Originally posted by rajneel1:
•in this competitive med school admissions environment, i can't fathom how traditional juniors in college can apply to med school. how can they compete with graduates, people who are alittle older and took time off to do interesting things, or people who are older with interesting backgrounds? geez!•••••That's right, because juniors in college can't possibly have interesting backgrounds like their fellow older applicants. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Bounty,

I think you have a good amount of schools picked out, in fact, I believe that the average is around 20 or 21, so you're right on track.

I also took a year off after undergrad and ended up applying to grad school. During that year, I worked at a rehab facility for the visually impaired. I don't know what your plans are, but ideally, you should spend some time working or volunteering in the healthcare field. This will give you something to talk about in your essays, during your interviews (note: I was never asked any questions about this "break" in any of my interviews), and may aid in solidifying your committment to the field.

Thanks everyone
I feel much better applying to so many...when my pre-med advisor saw my list (it had 23 on it at the time), she acted all weird and said something like "I would hate to see you have to apply to so many schools."
Whatever....(complete with "W" handsign")
:)

•Thanks everyone
I feel much better applying to so many...when my pre-med advisor saw my list (it had 23 on it at the time), she acted all weird and said something like "I would hate to see you have to apply to so many schools."
Whatever....(complete with "W" handsign")
:) •••••Well, just realize that 23 apps is a LOT of work come secondary time. Maybe that's why your advisor kinda tweaked on you. Choose schools carefully, and make sure you have the time to thoughtfully (yet quickly) get all those secondaries completed and returned. Your in Cali, so 23 isn't nuts or anything, but I only applied to 10 schools and it just about killed me!

Bounty to answer your second question: work and save $ (you'll need it), travel the world, take post-bac courses if it'll help, learn a new language (Spanish?), do research... whatever it takes to improve your application. Just remember one thing: however you spend your time that year make sure you keep up with your VOLUNTEER activities otherwise schools will wonder why you stopped. In fact, speaking from experience (since I also took time off) one of my interviewers specifically asked about volunteer experiences after graduating, so heads up on that.

1st Raindrop,
Hope this doesn't sound like a dumb question...
What kinds of science classes do people usually take post-bac? Classes they have already taken and didnt do as well in (organic chem for me) or subjects they have never taken.
And does it matter where the classes are taken (quality of school)?

I definitely think taking spanish classes would be good for me since I originally had a spanish minor in college but couldnt complete it because it is really hard to do at my school unless you go abroad for the summer or semester (wish i had! so fun!)

As for volunteering, I definitely want to do it but i am gonna wait till i get a job so I know exactly what neighborhood I'll be in. I have an interview with a clinical research program at UCLA this week - keeping my fingers crossed!

What exactly did you do in your time off? Just out of curiosity...

Bounty-

1. I am from DC and don't have a state school at all...not even any reciprocity...so all you CA residents think you have it bad, but at least you have a chance (even if small) of instate. I applied to 19 schools and it was a ton of work at secondary time, but I think that was a good number and I applied to a good range. Also once you are doing 10+ secondaries your short answers/essays will be very similar, so usually you can make small changes and use the same answers many times.

2. I have taken 2 years off from school. First, I backpacked around Europe for 1 month with my best friends from college, then I lived with my Grandparent who were very sick and needed a caretaker for 3 months. Then, I got a job (which I have had for 1.5 years now) in clinical rehabilitation research. I love my job and love the variety of people that I work with- I have also had the opportunity work with great mentors, clinicians and researchers, and patients with amazing stories. Part of my time I have had to deal with budgets and insurance reimbursement- so I have gotten to see the good and ugly parts of medicine.
All of these experiences were central to most of my interviews and I definitely think that I had a leg up in the application process because I took this time off.
Good luck!

•Would they be less likely to accept someone if they knew they were applying to a million other schools too?•••••No - they don't know where else you've applied. But they might ask you in an interview. You can choose how evasive you want to be in that situation - there's nothing wrong with saying, "I applied to a broad range of schools this year. As far as your school in particular, I applied because ..." At my first interview, I was embarrassed to admit how many places I'd applied. That was before I found SDN and realized I was normal!

•••••I took off two years and worked at the CDC in Atlanta. After I had graduated I was physically and emotionally burned out. I am very glad that i did this. I worked, made and saved some money and reevaluated my goals. A lot of times people will tell you that you will be "so old" once you are done with medical school and that you should start as soon as possible. However, as long as you know for yourself what you want to do, then that is all that matters. Now I am all ready and excited to start school in the Fall.

best of luck to you.

I think it's better to apply to a lot, and a really wide range, than have to reapply. 20-30 seems like a good amount, unless you have a stellar record.

I spent my year off working as a bookkeeper (which didn't help my application), continuing to volunteer, studying languages, and spending a lot of time on my essays. I was busier than during some semesters in college, so it didn't feel like time off.