SDN's Godwin's Law

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Little Etoile

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Godwin's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Here's our version:

Someone posts a complaint about something.

Example: "I hate kittens."

Someone responds back saying that the OP's intolerance of that something inherently guarantees that the OP will be a bad doctor and that they shouldn't be going into medicine.

Example: "OMGZ. HOW CAN YOU HATE KITTENS? YOU ARE GOING TO BE A HORRIBLE DOCTOR. IF YOU CAN'T LOVE KITTENS, HOW WILL YOU LOVE YOUR PATIENTS? OR LOVE YOUR PATIENTS WHO LOVE KITTENS? IF YOU ARE THE FUTURE OF MEDICINE WE ARE DOOOOOMED. I HOPE I NEVER HAVE YOU AS A DOCTOR."

Y/Y? Shall we add this to The Unofficial-Official SDN Pre-Med Glossary? :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
a bit bored i see.

a bit bored i see.

Look who's callin' the kettle black. ;)

And yes, I'm living up in the remote mountains right now and burnt out on studying/revising my personal statement. My mind was wandering. :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Look who's callin' the kettle black. ;)

And yes, I'm living up in the remote mountains right now and burnt out on studying/revising my personal statement. My mind was wandering. :)
ahahaaha. well played. ok. ill leave you be

Reactions: 1 user
No, because it's specific to SDN. The glossary is for widely used terms that aren't site specific.

This thread may now return to banter about that term & any other terms that people think would be suitable for an imaginary "Pre-Allo Forum Glossary".

Let your imagination run wild, but remember to keep it "Family Friendly".

we need to have something about stuck-up tools...

If you start a thread like this....you will be a horrible doctor.

Also, nazis.

Kittens are horrible people.

I heard that if you don't like kittens, you're a nazi.

i heard that if you didnt like jews, you could be a nazi too

should jews and kittens form a tag-team to take down the nazis?

is that what indy jones really should have done?

i Heard That If You Didnt Like Jews, You Could Be A Nazi Too

Should Jews And Kittens Form A Tag-team To Take Down The Nazis?

Is That What Indy Jones Really Should Have Done?

Wwid?

Members don't see this ad :)
Godwin's Law: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin's_law

Here's our version:

Someone posts a complaint about something.

Example: "I hate kittens."

Someone responds back saying that the OP's intolerance of that something inherently guarantees that the OP will be a bad doctor and that they shouldn't be going into medicine.

Example: "OMGZ. HOW CAN YOU HATE KITTENS? YOU ARE GOING TO BE A HORRIBLE DOCTOR. IF YOU CAN'T LOVE KITTENS, HOW WILL YOU LOVE YOUR PATIENTS? OR LOVE YOUR PATIENTS WHO LOVE KITTENS? IF YOU ARE THE FUTURE OF MEDICINE WE ARE DOOOOOMED. I HOPE I NEVER HAVE YOU AS A DOCTOR."

Y/Y? Shall we add this to The Unofficial-Official SDN Pre-Med Glossary? :hardy:
What you're referring to has been dubbed "Burnett's Law" on SDN.

"If XYZ", then "you are obviously going to be a horrible doctor" or, "I feel bad for your future patients"

Once you've heard of Burnett's Law you can't help but see it everywhere!

Really, until I was looking for it I didn't realize how often people question your abilities as a physician based on random crap.

So far I've been told that I would make a horrible doctor three times (that I know of).

I've actually been called a nazi here too. And not in the, "Oh, haha! You're such a nazi!" way.

In the, "You god-damn nazi I hope you rot." way. =(

Nazis make horrible doctors.

Once you've heard of Burnett's Law you can't help but see it everywhere!

Really, until I was looking for it I didn't realize how often people question your abilities as a physician based on random crap.

Honestly, if you haven't heard of Burnett's law I feel sorry for your future patients.
:smuggrin:

Dude, I love kittens!

Right next to my salad and a glass of wine.

Honestly, if you haven't heard of Burnett's law I feel sorry for your future patients.
:smuggrin:

If you so callously invoke Burnett's law you'll never make it as a doctor.

:boom:

(I can't believe your head exploded. If your head explodes, you'll never make it as a doctor.)

Wait, wait. See, when I read these kinds of things, that's when I know *I* will never be a good doctor. Boy do I feel sorry for my patients :(

Stupid kittens. They ruined my whole life.

I hate kittens, but I'm going into plastics so it doesn't matter.

Are you planning on making all the kittens you come across look like Joan Rivers?

ihasfacelift.jpg

funny-pictures-botox-cat.jpg

P.S. I just laughed out loud so hard at your signature quote. That was a great thread. :D

Instead of spending your time complaining on SDN about how you're expected to like kittens, you might want to devote some effort to self-evaluation. Are you smarter then a Hardvard admissions officer? If they say you should demonstrate some kitten affinity, perhaps - shocking - you should give that some thought. Why don't you think kittens are cute? Rather then dispargage people who've enjoyed and learned from batting string with a tabby you could be working on the weaknesses in your personality that keeps you from liking kittens. Spend a month living in a kitty shelter. Nothing turns off an adcom quicker then whining and a sense of entitlement.

Instead of spending your time complaining on SDN about how you're expected to like kittens, you might want to devote some effort to self-evaluation. Are you smarter then a Hardvard admissions officer? If they say you should demonstrate some kitten affinity, perhaps - shocking - you should give that some thought. Why don't you think kittens are cute? Rather then dispargage people who've enjoyed and learned from batting string with a tabby you could be working on the weaknesses in your personality that keeps you from liking kittens. Spend a month living in a kitty shelter. Nothing turns off an adcom quicker then whining and a sense of entitlement.
:laugh::thumbup:

Seriously though, jult24er is right. I spent a summer in Africa volunteering at a kitten orphanage, and it was the most enlightening experience of my life. It's actually what inspired me to pursue a career in medicine in the first place.

:laugh: well played!

:laugh::thumbup:

Seriously though, jult24er is right. I spent a summer in Africa volunteering at a kitten orphanage, and it was the most enlightening experience of my life. It's actually what inspired me to pursue a career in medicine in the first place.

I guess we can call that the corollary to Burnett's Law?

If you're going into medicine to randomly stab people and then stuff kittens in the wounds, I feel sorry for your future patients. I have a kitten for you.

I hate kittens and Nazis, but I love Nazi Kittens.

I am going to be a terrible doctor.

This thread delivers :thumbup:

... just like the pizzas the OP will deliver when sued out of practice for being a horrible doctor.

I've got one,

Law2Doc's Law of Pessimism:

Any and every comment made that induces one to believe that doctors, med students, or residents have pleasant and/or frugal lives will be refuted within 3 posts by Law2Doc himself. This includes but is not limited to repudiations involving the "time value of money" or "80+ hour work weeks for residents and med students."

you know who else supported universal health care? Hitler.

I've got one,

Any and every comment made that induces one to believe that doctors, med students, or residents have pleasant and/or frugal lives will be refuted within 3 posts by Law2Doc himself. This includes but is not limited to repudiations involving the "time value of money" or "80+ hour work weeks for residents and med students."

:laugh: That's actually pretty funny.

Law2Doc: Delivering the harsh, harsh truth since December 2004.

:laugh: That's actually pretty funny.

Law2Doc: Delivering the harsh, harsh truth since December 2004.

Lol yeah but seriously I value his posts on here alot more than others, so we're very grateful for his services.

I've got one,

lol, never saw this one the first time around.