Search terms for jobs to accrue hours for licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ariagirlno1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am completing my doctoral internship at the end of next month. I have some applications out and a few interviews scheduled for post-doctoral positions, but want to make sure I am using the correct search terms to find a position. I have ample experience across the lifespan as well as specialized experience with children, adolescents, and families. Ideally, I would like this last training experience to be fairly general to complement my practica and internship. I am open to any position to accrue hours for licensure in NJ/PA/DE, not just formal post-docs. I am also fortunate that I do not have to be terribly picky regarding salary.

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Members don't see this ad.

Look for staff psychologist positions too. Most will require licensure, but sometimes the fine print will indicate that postdocs are eligible. Your options depend somewhat on whether and under what circumstances the jurisdiction allows you to bill insurance as an unlicensed postdoc.

Any label you'd use for a clinician would work. I would suggest "mental health clinician" "mental health therapist" "mental health counselor" "counseling intern" etc. etc. I had to get creative when I searched for unofficial postdocs on job sites, and in fact, my postdoc position was technically called "clinician intern" despite the fact that I was accruing postdoc hours. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user