Searching for jobs in the COVID era

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Choopa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm wrapping up my 2nd year now and am nervous about the climate surrounding job search in this era especially given a lot of practices have shut down elective procedures. Any advice on how/when to proceed? I started the process in March by reaching out to a couple practices but then when the COVID counts rose I stopped altogether. What are people running into these days when looking for jobs? Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Good question. I'm a 4th year (advanced endoscopy) fellow (Mid-Atlantic State) and secured a faculty spot late last year before the Pandemic struck. Depending on your geography and job requirements, it may be reasonable to chat with a recruiter to get a sense of the jobs market (they are sometimes helpful/unhelpful). You can also discuss with your PD, Department Chair to get a sense of what they are hearing from their counterparts locally and around the country. Hang in there!

I’m in the same boat and I decided to start now because there’s no saying what the fall and winter will look like when cold and flu season starts on top of covid

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of online and also online tours.

Make sure to ask about Hazard pay and also ask if there were any layoffs and why.
Ask about what they will do with regards to the backlog of all the CRC screening and elective procedures.

Reactions: 1 user
Lots of online and also online tours.

Make sure to ask about Hazard pay and also ask if there were any layoffs and why.
Ask about what they will do with regards to the backlog of all the CRC screening and elective procedures.
Oh I like the idea of inquiring about the inevitable backlog. Asking about hazard pay would make me nervous because it seems on par with asking about salary, but idk

I’m in the same boat and I decided to start now because there’s no saying what the fall and winter will look like when cold and flu season starts on top of covid
This is a really good point.

do not follow @ShiShiMD advice.

don't ask about hazard pay, and don't ask about PPE. literally neither of those questions will make you look good, and make you look like a worried, self-entitled prick.

seriously, @ShiShiMD at least half your posts are completely off the mark. you really need to evaluate the advice you are giving out to people.

Reactions: 1 users
Oh I like the idea of inquiring about the inevitable backlog. Asking about hazard pay would make me nervous because it seems on par with asking about salary, but idk
Asking about salary is fine actually. Just not in the first conversation.

There isn’t necessarily going to be a backlog with the loss of insurance and also patient interest in an elective procedure that could be done next year after a vaccine.

Learn anything?
Academic places have hiring freeze at this time, most of them. Things will open up eventually but who knows when with the current surge in covid cases. We will need to close down elective procedures in the states with current surge, I don't see how we can continue to do elective procedures with new daily cases of 3-4k.