MA/MS Seattle University's M.A.P in "Existential-Phenomenological Therapeutic Psychology"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qohelet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! This is my first post. I joined SDN because I've failed to find any information beyond the limited amount provided on this program's official site (https://www.seattleu.edu/artsci/map/) for answering important questions I have, such as...

(1) Is this program CACREP-accredited? (I think not. If not, have they applied for accreditation or will they?)
(2) How easy/difficult is it to get an internship and LMHC license afterwards?
(3) How much is the "MAP Scholarship"? How many students can receive it? Are their any other scholarships, fellowships, paid assistantships, or grants?
(4) Is it possible to take additional courses in research methods and psych statistics? Is it feasible to conduct empirical research during the program? I assume one at least could choose to do an empirical masters thesis to complete the program. My reason for asking this question pertains to the next question:
(5) Certain Phd programs in some cases allow previously earned masters in psych to replace the requirements for earning a masters en route to the PHD. Could this MAP program do that? At Washington State University or University of Washington, for instance?

Thanks! Any relevant info, opinions, or advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

call the program/department

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks to both of you. Erg923, yeah, I realized pretty soon after posting this that I should just call. But I do hope for some input from outside the department.

CACREP has a directory of accredited schools on their website. It states that Seattle U has accredited programs, specifically their School Counseling program and their Community Counseling program. I looked at the website, and it kinda seems as if the program you linked is NOT one of those? Both of the programs are listed as M.A.'s and the program you linked is listed as an M.A.P. Also on the website is a list of programs who are in the process of applying, and the program you linked is also not listed.

http://www.cacrep.org/directory/

I don't know about the rest of the questions. Well except for this addition on #5, a CACREP accredited masters usually does not matriculate in to a clinical psychology PhD. APA does the clinical psych PhD. CACREP only accredits "counseling" programs. Most programs will pick one or the other to accredit with. I'm sure there is a program out there to prove me wrong, but in general, you are either APA (only PhD) or CACREP (both master and doctoral levels) haha. In my state CACREP is not required, so one of our main state universities does have a licensable M.Ed in community counseling that will directly matriculate into the APA accredited counseling psychology program. I hope that makes sense! Let me know if you need clarification.

Their required courses involve a lot of phenomenological stuff (I applied/got accepted), so I doubt they're interested in CACREP.

I know they're pretty expensive. Not sure about financial aid, but they'd need to offer a lot to make up for that IMO.

But yeah, call them. They have some very good people when it comes to qualitative research and therapeutic training, but I'm sure you could find somewhere better if you're interested in quantitative/empirical research and a PhD program. Their degree is intended to be a terminal practice-oriented degree.