SEC. 340I. LOAN REPAYMENTS - who knows the details?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony montana

Dr. G-Spot
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
‘‘SEC. 340I. LOAN REPAYMENTS.

``(a) Loan repayments.—The Secretary, acting through the Administrator of the Health Resources and Services Administration, shall enter into contracts with individuals under which—
``(1) the individual agrees—
``(A) to serve as a full-time primary health services provider or as a full-time or part-time provider of other health services for a period of time equal to 2 years or such longer period as the individual may agree to;
``(B) to serve in a health professional needs area in a health discipline, specialty, or a subspecialty for which the area, population, or facility is designated as a health professional needs area under section 340H; and
``(C) in the case of an individual described in subsection 340H(c)(3) who is in the final year of study and who has accepted employment as primary health services provider or provider of other health services in accordance with subparagraphs (A) and (B), to complete the education or training and maintain an acceptable level of academic standing (as determined by the educational institution offering the course of study or training); and
``(2) the Secretary agrees to pay, for each year of such service, an amount on the principal and interest of the undergraduate or graduate educational loans (or both) of the individual that is not more than 50 percent of the average award made under the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program under subpart III in that year.
``(b) Practice setting.—A contract entered into under this section shall allow the individual receiving the loan repayment to satisfy the service requirement described in subsection (a)(1) through employment in a solo or group practice, a clinic, an accredited public or private nonprofit hospital, or any other health care entity, as deemed appropriate by the Secretary.
``(c) Application of certain provisions.—The provisions of subpart III of part D shall, except as inconsistent with this section, apply to the loan repayment program under this subpart in the same manner and to the same extent as such provisions apply to the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program established under section 338B.
``(d) Insufficient number of applicants.—If there are an insufficient number of applicants for loan repayments under this section to obligate all appropriated funds, the Secretary shall transfer the unobligated funds to the National Health Service Corps for the purpose of—
``(1) recruitment of sufficient applicants for the National Health Service Corps for the following year; or
``(2) making additional loan repayments under section 338B if there is an excess number of qualified applicants for loan repayments under such section.

Who knows the details of this section?
When does it go into effect?
What is the award made under the National Health Service Corps Loan Repayment Program under subpart III ?
I recently matched FP and was wondering if this would only apply to those who graduate after a specific date?

Mods: This post is also in the FP forum but I meant to post it here.

Members don't see this ad.

This is basically just what the NHSC already has, as far as I know. In essence, if you begin working in an underserved area, you may be eligible to apply for up to 1/2 of the NHSC loan repayment amount, which you should be able to find on their website.