Second Bachelor's, Gap Years and the Application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chainlink

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I have been a long time lurker here, but finally decided to break my silence by asking this awesome and experienced community for some advice.

I graduated May 2016 from NYU with a B.S. in Public Health and completed all of my prereqs plus a few extra science classes. However, my GPA was mediocre at best (3.3 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA). Long story short, my naive self had my head on upside down and backwards throughout undergrad. My saving grace is that I did gain research experience in an orgo lab during a semester abroad in Sydney and gained about 300 hours of hands-on clinical dental experience with an underserved population in Champaign, IL. Ultimately, I decided to move home after graduation to use my gap year working full time at the local health department. In order to raise my GPA and form relationships with science professors that I did not make while at NYU, I will be leaving my job to obtain second bachelors degree in Biology starting in August. My advisor determined that it will only take me 2 semesters (the 2017-2018 school year) of a full and manageable science schedule to obtain a second degree. Additionally, I am scheduled to take my DAT this May.

I originally planned to complete the degree, apply June 2018, and use the time during the rest of the application/interview cycle to gain more relevant dental experience by ideally assisting (essentially taking a second gap year). My advisor, who is heavily involved with the university's dental school, strongly suggested that I begin the application process June 2017. My reservations with applying for this upcoming cycle are that it seems to defeat the purpose of me going back to school in the first place (1. Raise GPA to be a stronger applicant 2. Form relationships with science professors for decent LORs). On one hand I want to follow his advice because he is so connected to the dental school; on the other hand, I don't know if it is a good idea for me to apply right now when I am not a strong applicant and don't have great (if any) options for LORs from science professors from NYU.

THE QUESTIONS: Should I start my application this June as my advisor suggested? If I begin to apply in June 2018, will admissions frown upon a second gap year if I use it to gain more hands-on dental experience? What are the benefits/trade-offs to either? Can I even make a decision like this without a DAT score?

tl;dr Took a gap year, 3.3 cGPA 3.0 sGPA, scheduled to take DAT in May, returning to university complete a second bachelors in the 2017-2018 school year, should I apply in June 2017 or June 2018

Members don't see this ad.

Why a second Bachelors and not a Masters?

Reactions: 1 user
Why a second Bachelors and not a Masters?
Money is the main reason. The public university is 40 minutes away from my house, but since I have two other siblings in college I'm on my own for payment and I don't make a lot of money at my current job. The Biology Masters program for this university had prerequisites that equated to their undergraduate degree program anyway, so I enrolled in the undergrad program. Ideally I would have loved to do an SMP...

Members don't see this ad :)
Money is the main reason. The public university is 40 minutes away from my house, but since I have two other siblings in college I'm on my own for payment and I don't make a lot of money at my current job. The Biology Masters program for this university had prerequisites that equated to their undergraduate degree program anyway, so I enrolled in the undergrad program. Ideally I would have loved to do an SMP...

Understandable. But I don't understand this part: their prerequisites for their Masters equals an entire Undergraduate worth of courses to land you a second Bachelors?

Understandable. But I don't understand this part: their prerequisites for their Masters equals an entire Undergraduate worth of courses to land you a second Bachelors?
I am at a point where I don't have to take an entire Undergraduate program. I only have to take two semesters worth of ONLY bio courses and a biochem course, and most of these courses were prereqs for the Masters program courses. I will start in Fall 2017 and be done Spring 2018. I understand that a Masters degree is ideal, but for my situation it was best to do the second bachelors.

Essentially I'm going for the GPA boost.

I am at a point where I don't have to take an entire Undergraduate program. I only have to take two semesters worth of ONLY bio courses and a biochem course, and most of these courses were prereqs for the Masters program courses. I will start in Fall 2017 and be done Spring 2018. I understand that a Masters degree is ideal, but for my situation it was best to do the second bachelors.

Essentially I'm going for the GPA boost.

So for AADSAS, when you enter in your courses and grades, this is going to fall under a Postbacc. I think your advisor is trying to help you and you should apply WHILE you're taking those courses. You don't need to wait until you hit a CERTAIN GPA to apply (it's already 3.0 or higher). Realistically, plenty of people have 3.5 or higher and don't get in and plenty of people have stats such as yourself and do. Lots of dental schools do holistic reviews so it's not ALL about stats.

But it's really up to you, how you feel, and your finances. Best of luck!

So for AADSAS, when you enter in your courses and grades, this is going to fall under a Postbacc. I think your advisor is trying to help you and you should apply WHILE you're taking those courses. You don't need to wait until you hit a CERTAIN GPA to apply (it's already 3.0 or higher). Realistically, plenty of people have 3.5 or higher and don't get in and plenty of people have stats such as yourself and do. Lots of dental schools do holistic reviews so it's not ALL about stats.

But it's really up to you, how you feel, and your finances. Best of luck!
Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated :)