Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Second Interview Request from School?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by nickdv, Nov 15, 2002.

1. nickdv

nickdv Member
    7+ Year Member

OK, Now I'm really confused. My mom called to tell me about a letter I got today from NJMS, requesting that I come in for a second interview. The first one was about 2 weeks ago. Does this seem unusual to anyone else? My first thought is that this might not be a good thing. I thought second interviews usually only happened at the request of the applicant.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tBw

tBw totally deluded
    7+ Year Member

no, other people have had schools request this and have posted about it on here. I think the usual interpretation is that they think they are interested but can't quite decide for some reason eg that interviewer turned out to review everyone well/everyone badly, there was some inconsistency, they got to review your file and no one could remember who you were, etc :)

Just view it as an opportunity to put the offer in the bag.

good luck

4. Medical123

Medical123 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't think they would invite you back if they were not interested. This happened to someone else on this forum recently and he was later admitted to the school. Good luck!

5. one love

one love Member
    7+ Year Member

yeah, I think it basically means you're borderline accept/ waitlist. The same thing happened to me at NJMS and they accepted me after the 2nd interview. Just try to tell them more good things about yourself that you maybe didn't mention in your first interview and be prepared to clarify things from your first interview that they may not have gotten quite right.

They wouldn't waste their time interviewing you a second time if they weren't seriously considering accepting you :)

6. dpy

dpy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

when I interviewed at michigan st., the dean told us that if one interviewer gave you an awesome evaluation and the other interviewer was completely opposite of that, they ask a third person to interview you. kinda like how they grade the writing sample...that if there is a huge difference, a 3rd person comes in.

7. nickdv

nickdv Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the support. I sure hope you're all right about this! I called them today and got another interview for mid-December. The lady in the admissions office didn't seem to want to share any specifics (if she knew any), but just said that the adcom might have more questions they want answered. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed and getting an ulcer waiting another month :) Good luck to everyone else!