Second look dress code

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Textuality

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So how are we expected to dress for second look? Are jeans appropriate for things like mixers/fair and lunch type events or is it usually business casual the whole way through?

Members don't see this ad.

So how are we expected to dress for second look? Are jeans appropriate for things like mixers/fair and lunch type events or is it usually business casual the whole way through?

I think business casual...to be safe. But u can wear like a cute top n cheap pants....like normal work clothes...:p

ok this is kind of off-topic a little bit, but how important is it to go to 2nd look weekends? will it put you at a disadvantage when school starts if you don't go?

Members don't see this ad :)
ok this is kind of off-topic a little bit, but how important is it to go to 2nd look weekends? will it put you at a disadvantage when school starts if you don't go?

2nd Look weekend is pretty much just for fun. Some found their roommates there, but since a lot of people are still deciding between schools, it's hard to make a lot of definitive connections because no one knows who will really end up at the school that fall. You will not be at a disadvantage when school starts, especially since you'll have a several day orientation to meet people.

i was just gonna wear jeans...
you're already in, why do you need to impress them more now? they're trying to impress YOU

2nd Look weekend is pretty much just for fun. Some found their roommates there, but since a lot of people are still deciding between schools, it's hard to make a lot of definitive connections because no one knows who will really end up at the school that fall. You will not be at a disadvantage when school starts, especially since you'll have a several day orientation to meet people.

yay thanks! i thought as much... its just that when i was interviewing, a lot of students seemed to say that they met their current friends/roommates at 2nd look. i would go if it were expenses-paid, but omg its a bit of a stretch when i'm already broke from the application cycle.

just get the second look weekend email from pitt or what?

Haha..yup!

I know we're already in, and it's "their chance to impress us", but I don't want to seem like a huge tool for showing up in jeans and give off that "too cool for school vibe" when everyone around me is dressed for a work meeting. I"ll probably just ask a host.

Speaking of Pitt. Is that banquet at the end for all of us?

for some schools even orientation itself is voluntary and often unattended.
no one expects you at 2nd look, its for your benefit and for the school to try and woo you with propag... i mean, marketing. It will be nice to meet future classmates, however.

Second look is usually buisiness casual. YOu could wear jeans but then feel out of place when all others are wearing buisiness casual. But please do not be one of those people who wear a suit, or one that brings their parent with them!:laugh:

Hey Christian. You and I are in a similar boat (we both got in to Pitt and USC, but are both waiting on UCLA). I'm not sure if I'll go to Pitt's second look, but it sounds like it'll be fun and I'm not 100% sure either way.

Do you guys know if we have to stay with student hosts at Pitt? I have some friends in town that I wanted to stay with. Will that be a problem?

Hey Christian. You and I are in a similar boat (we both got in to Pitt and USC, but are both waiting on UCLA). I'm not sure if I'll go to Pitt's second look, but it sounds like it'll be fun and I'm not 100% sure either way.

Do you guys know if we have to stay with student hosts at Pitt? I have some friends in town that I wanted to stay with. Will that be a problem?

yay thanks! i thought as much... its just that when i was interviewing, a lot of students seemed to say that they met their current friends/roommates at 2nd look. i would go if it were expenses-paid, but omg its a bit of a stretch when i'm already broke from the application cycle.

I feel ya on the broke part, but I'm going to try to make it work somehow. I think it's worth it to spend my last few dollars to be more informed about what will be one of the more important decisions in my life. Not a time to be cheap...

Oh yeah, for the OP - it really is a time just to be yourself, but I think there will probably be a few times when you might want to look nice during second look. There might be plenty of casual time, but I would pack at least one nice outfit.

Oh yeah, for the OP - it really is a time just to be yourself, but I think there will probably be a few times when you might want to look nice during second look. There might be plenty of casual time, but I would pack at least one nice outfit.

Yeah, that's probably what I'll do. I'm hoping to get away with just bringing a book bag instead of a suitcase but I guess we'll see. Gah, I hate dress pants and shoes so much...

The only things that you need to worry about dress at second looks is anytime you have something clinical or if there's a nice dinner somewhere. Obviously don't dress like you just came off the street, but jeans are perfectly fine. If you have questions, contact whoever's in charge of the second looks at the particular schools. They would know what the day is like and what you'd be expected to wear.

If you want to stay with friends, that's not a problem.

i was just gonna wear jeans...
you're already in, why do you need to impress them more now? they're trying to impress YOU

So.... bathrobe and combat boots? Or would it still be too cold in Pitt for that?