Second look examples?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I requested a second look at my number one pick and they replied asking what exactly i want a second look of. I'm wondering if anyone could give me an example of what a person mifht specify.....

Members don't see this ad.

I requested a second look at my number one pick and they replied asking what exactly i want a second look of. I'm wondering if anyone could give me an example of what a person mifht specify.....

Depending in your speciality, it could be following the floor team, the outpatient team, the sub-speciality teams, etc.

Why do you want a 2nd look?

So I'm going to second look for peds programs:
1st place- going on morning rounds to get an idea of sign out/teaching on the floors then sticking around for noon conference
2nd place- morning report, floor rounds and meeting with an adolescent fellow to tour the adolescent clinic, which is a little offsite (and seems to be a neat place)

Luckily for me, I got to meet with attendings in the subspecialty that I want to pursue at these places or I might have asked for that. For me, I have several programs that I got a good "gut" feeling and are in my preferred geographic location, so I just want to double check that I still find the residents/attendings as people with whom I want to work.

You shouldn't need to come onto here to answer that question. The purpose of a second look is to get more info about a program, so if you requested it you should know what additional info you want. Otherwise, you're just going to try and help your odds of matching, which may or may not work. What a second look would entail is so variable between specialties that if you really do need to ask this question, it'd be better answered the specialty's forum.

Thanks for the helpful replies! I think I understand things better now. Happy Holidays to all!

For what it's worth, I feel like second looks in surgery are valuable. You get to see the team round and see the inside of the OR...... Neither of which happened on any of my interviews.

I have been told by PDs that second looks are just sort of annoying for the programs during interview season (more work, they probably already made up their mind about you). Conversely, I've heard residents say that the program's ROL is always in flux and that every little gesture matters.

For me, I took second looks at my top two programs with the expectation that I would learn a little something to help make my list and possibly force myself into their consciousness. I'll let you know in a month if it made any difference.